Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grinding/jangling noise from rear axle

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 99
Model: Cherokee
Default Grinding/jangling noise from rear axle

I have a 99 xj on a 4.5in lift , dont know a whole lot about it, just bought it with modifications installed. Just replaced the rear u-joint on thr axle, and now i have this grinding noise when i hit 2000rpm or above from the rear axle i believe, and its louder when i turn right, and it also makes a jangling noise, almost like a small chain dangling from the other side. its quite odd, and i cant find any answers online here, most of points to u-joints. any help is appreciated.
Old 02-27-2017, 07:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

First off congrats on the new jeep! First question, did you have this grinding noise prior that prompted you to change the ujoints? You say you changed the ujoints in the rear axle, but I'm going to assume you meant rear driveshaft as I don't believe there are ujoints in the rear axle. One thing you can check is the bearings in the rear axle. You can jack the rear up in the air and try pulling in and out on the tire, also try pushing on one side of the tire while pulling the opposite side( top and bottom and side to side) if you get play here your bearings are probably an issue. With it being louder while turning right if I remember correctly that points to a left side bearing. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. You can also try to isolate the noise to the rear axle by removing the rear driveshaft, putting it in 4x4 and driving around. If your noise goes away then your issue points to the rear driveshaft itself(maybe balancing)? If it doesn't go away go ahead and pull the front driveshaft just to eliminate the possibility of ujoints on the front shaft being an issue. It's probably a good idea since you just bought the jeep to pull the differential covers, inspect the gears and change the oil anyways to rule out any internal issues in the diff. I hope this has been somewhat helpful, good luck on your investigation!
Old 03-01-2017, 04:29 PM

Received 52 Likes on 51 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

your rear drive shaft geometry is bad and the slip yoke is probably very close to falling out of the t-case. I too bought a lifted Jeep and all the noises that come along with lifting and not doing any of the supported mods. Google slip yolk eliminator for your XJ and why you need one.