Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going from 3" to 4.5"

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 10:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Going from 3" to 4.5"

What's up guys, new to Jeeps but not lifted vehicles. But I got some questions about going from my current Zone 3" to a 4.5" lift.

Right now my setup is 3" Zone coils, stock rears with AAL and 1.5" lift shackles (rear sits about 1" higher then front), IRO double shear track bar, Rustys 1" drop t-case crossmember.

I just got in IRO adjustable upper and lower control arms, extended SS brake lines, and now I'm thinking about going a little higher. My drivers side front coil is sagging about an inch and it's driving me crazy. I was going to stack 2 isolators on that side to get rid of the lean but now I might just order up some 4.5" coils.

Basically the only thing I'm worried about is if I'm gonna NEED a SYE. I'm probably close to 4.5" in the rear right now with very minimal vibes. I see a lot of people say you need one and some say you don't. If it's only because of driveshaft angle I have no problem welding on some new perches. I've run lifted vehicles in the past with a slip yoke and never had a problem after adjusting pinion angle so I don't really see why one would actually be needed. Like I said though I'm new to Jeeps so maybe there's something I don't know. Thanks

Also if there's anything else I might need let me know.
Old 09-13-2014, 11:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 247 Likes on 206 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: I6 4.0

What year is your jeep? Newer models are known for needing more attention to lift heights
Old 09-13-2014, 11:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, it's a 2000 auto, 231, LP30, 8.25

Last edited by wrekd; 09-13-2014 at 11:57 PM.