Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting it ready for towing

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 10:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Cool Getting it ready for towing

Hey there,

This may come off as a pretty stupid thing to do, but it's something I need to do and I need to see if I can make it work properly.

Attached you'll see a picture of what it is I need to tow. I've already been told I'm crazy.

I have a '98 XJ Sport w/o factory towing. The hitch that was added is a class III, and I've already ordered a B&H Transmission 'Supercooler' (Part #70268). This thing, from what I've read, is supposed to be awesome. Initially I plan on mounting it on the radiator, but if temps look to be climbing I'll likely offload it to a remote fan. The gauges showed the engine getting hot too when I was towing it, and then spiking back down real fast. I'm not sure what that means (maybe it means what it looks like --- it got real hot, and then cooled off quickly... dunno) but I'd like to know if there is anything other than a high flow water pump, changing the thermostat, and a bigger (CF-something 3 Core radiator?) that I could put in to keep the engine cool? Also does anyone recommend a certain water pump?

If you look closely at the picture along the tongue you'll see that it looks like the back of the jeep is sagging. The front of the trailer is leaning towards the ground due to the hitch being so low on the XJ. I bought a 5 3/4" bar to raise it more level, which should take off some tongue and angle weight. I'm looking for a more valid solution, I've heard that leaf springs begin to 'sag' and this looks to be the case even when there isn't a trailer connected. Does anyone have any recommended tough ones for towing/hauling? What shocks do you suggest I put with them? Is there an airbag/airlift that would work?

The boat and trailer weigh less than 4000lbs according to what I've read on the manual.

So, in review, here's what I'm hoping you guys can answer:

- What brand / model water pump should I do?
- Do you think it's worth replacing the radiator, if so, would the 3 Core from radiatorbarn.com be good?
- What are some good leaf shocks in the back, and regular shocks/struts/whatnot to add as well?
- Would airbags help, if so, are there any favorites?
- Any other suggestions (well, besides buying a 1-ton truck like most people off-forum seem to be saying!)

Thanks in advance!!
Attached Thumbnails Getting it ready for towing-img_0395.jpg