Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front stiffeners and bumper frame tie ins?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 10:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Front stiffeners and bumper frame tie ins?

Ordering the front bumper here soon along with the rest painting supplies in anticipation of the next phase of the build.

I haven't installed my front stiffeners yet, but has anybody with front stiffeners had problems mounting aftermarket bumers where the tie ins are directly mounted on the bumper, like L&L or Nates? I am looking at the L&L bumper, but 3/16 and 1/4 inch steel don't bend that much, so I am worried about the "arms" for the bumper being able to make it past the frame with the stiffeners on because of the extra width. Might not be an issue, but I have never messed with cherokee bumpers before.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:26 AM
CF Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Just front stiffeners? I know that RuffStuff's full lengths will easily allow bumper tie-ins. We need to see what your stiffeners look like and how far they extend up the uni-body rail. Most bumper tie-ins will go to the tow point (hole in the uni-body rail that's just past the rear-most steering box bolt) so there are 7 bolts per side. As long as the stiffeners aren't that far up (never seen any that are) you'll be fine.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by no rdplz
Just front stiffeners? I know that RuffStuff's full lengths will easily allow bumper tie-ins. We need to see what your stiffeners look like and how far they extend up the uni-body rail. Most bumper tie-ins will go to the tow point (hole in the uni-body rail that's just past the rear-most steering box bolt) so there are 7 bolts per side. As long as the stiffeners aren't that far up (never seen any that are) you'll be fine.
I have front, middle and rear HD offroad stiffeners. I just haven't welded in the fronts yet.

These are the fronts. http://hdoffroadengineering.myshopif...ame-stiffeners

Looks to me like they run all the way to the front, since it appears the front three holes are the factory bumper mount holes, and the other ones are for the steering box.

That is why I am concerned about bumpers with pre-set arms that tie in, my frame rail is wider. I don't want to cut the stiffeners short if I can help it.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0, bolt ons for days...

you might have an issue with the stiffeners, like you said. you might not, you really cant be sure. before you buy a bumper, let them know, maybe they can adjust it for you.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:16 AM

The guys at H.D. off road got back to me quick. They said they run C4x4 bumpers because there is enough adjust-ability. They told me too that some guys just request that the bumper arms are widened during build to accommodate the extra width. JCR told me that it may cause problems with the tie in brackets, but would bolt up just fine without them. L&L told me the the added width will probably interfere.

I want to run the stiffeners full length and use tie ins, so I will probably go with C4x4, unless JCR or L&L can modify a bumper for me (for a nominal fee). I sent both an email about that and will go from there. I know I could cut and hack the bumper and reweld, but I want to avoid that if possible.

Thanks to JCR, L&L and HD offroad for the quick replies. Haven't purchased from L&L yet, but JCR and HD have been very helpful to me with questions I had along the way as far as install of their products. L&L seems right there as well.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:29 PM

After studying the RIGIDCO bumper mount system, I think this will work with full stiffeners. Left a message with them and will talk to them about it soon. I don't care if it takes 4 months to get, I am not in a hurry, just want this done the best possible way.

FbG_FbGx_FbK_page9 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!@@AMEPARAM@@http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2212/1492270291_007431b1f0_m.jpg@@AMEPARAM@@1492270291@@AMEPARAM@@007431b1f0
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y48...rigidbolt2.jpg

The "arms" on the ridgidco hook up to the bulkhead and then two on each side to the bumper, worst case senario, slightly longer grade 8 bolts and a washer.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Yeah, running all the way to the front of the uni-body rail will present issues for some companies. JCR can accommodate for it, as can C4x4. Not sure on Rigidco. Keep us posted.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:48 AM
Resident Zombie Hunter

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Moved to modified tech
Old 04-17-2013, 06:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1999

JCR. You won't be disappointed. Get the steering box spacer too. Best money I ever spent.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:52 PM

JCR told me that it was a no go on using their tie in brackets. Terry from Rigidco has been talking to me, he thinks it will work, so he and I have been in touch. Probably going with Rigidco, his bulkhead plus full stiffeners ought to make for one hell of a front end.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:44 PM

Talked to Terry from Rigidco, what a stand up guy. Going with his bumper setup, will take some time to build, but worth the wait in my opinion. He was extremely helpful and friendly and explained how they test their bumpers. He thinks I will be good to go with his setup, just might need some longer bolts. I will do a complete write up once I get the bumper on my build page.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:12 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 87

I just sold my Rigidco FBW man I loved that bumper.. ONly reason I got rid of it is my rig is less sheetmetal and more tube now.

I had it for 7 yrs and it is/was stout.. now it is on some college kids rig