Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

front before rear???

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 11:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default front before rear???

just stumbling around random threads, i found one about lockers. the guy asked what they were and weather to install a front or rear first, if you could only do one. the following advise read something like this. "it doesnt matter what end you lock first" with the exception of the one that said that "unless you have a manual locker then dont do the front first"

BUT

i was under the impression that, if only locking one axle, the rear is really the best/safest way to go because you get the most predicable traction. with the front only (especially with a lunchbox design) it can get a little funky. i think its the equvilent of turning your rear into a posi. its going to cause some issues, depending on how you drive. off road only it wont matter what the set up... your thoughts?
Old 03-21-2011, 11:43 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996

The answer to this is pure preference. This is because the answer depend on how and where and when you drive or go off-road. When off-raoding it depends on the type of wheeling you do and terrain you wheel on. Then there is the type of locker to be used, big differences between LSD, auto lockers and manual lockers. Manual locker in the front is really only engaged, or noticed, when in 4wd.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:44 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

IMHO its best to start with the rear first, especially if your thinking lunchbox lockers.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:50 AM
CF Veteran

the point about the front locker working when only in 4 makes sense. other that that, there is no force being applied to the front end, so its not going to matter till your engaged.. another statement that i saw when stumbling was that one locker, front or rear, will essentially give you 3 wheel drive when in 4. and you will only get true 4wd when both axles are locked. this makes good sense to me as well. also that when the rear is locked, you essentially have similar traction to an unlocked (open diff) 4wd.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:03 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996

Originally Posted by VTJeep
also that when the rear is locked, you essentially have similar traction to an unlocked (open diff) 4wd.
This makes no sence. Locking either axle will dramtically increase your abillity to use more traction. NOTE: lockers do NOT increase traction, it only allows you to use it. Traction is created by tires and terrain. Suspension and drivetrain upgrades only allow you use traction more affectively.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:17 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 93gc40
This makes no sence. Locking either axle will dramtically increase your abillity to use more traction. NOTE: lockers do NOT increase traction, it only allows you to use it. Traction is created by tires and terrain. Suspension and drivetrain upgrades only allow you use traction more affectively.
i think what they were saying about the 3wd thing is that if you lock the rear, then when in 4wd, the front would still have an open diff and would potentially only effectively utilize one wheel. then there was the comment about if your rear is locked, its the equivalent of when an open diff style in 4wd. i think the assessment here is that when in 2wd with an open diff, you have potential for one wheel spin. weve all been there. but if you put it into 4wd, you get the same symptom: one front wheel, and an opposite rear wheel will spin, and two will remain stationary. this means that if you have a locked rear, your guaranteed that both wheels will spin, SIMILAR to when in 4wd w/o a locker.
i went back and reread this, and i know its wordy, but i swear it makes sense, to me... idk, i gotta get my rig to the shop, so i gotta roll either way. peace.

Last edited by VTJeep; 03-21-2011 at 12:20 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Originally Posted by 93gc40
I guess it depends on how you look at it.

With an open diff you can and will spin only one tire. Locked gives you two spinning tires.

So instead of having one tire with power and one along for the ride you'll get equal power to both tires, thus having the traction of two tires instead of just one.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:15 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1993

^x2
A4x4 with open diffs is a two wheel drive! One wheel on each axle! Lockers on both axles are four wheel drive! LSD are diffs that slip, and almost worthless offroad.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:24 PM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.6 ho

I had lockers front and rear it went great on dry pavement couldn't even tell I had it in the front. I broke the rear locker and only had the front with open rear it still went good but I broke a lot of front axles. Now I have open front and locked rear I think it goes a lot better than the front being locked. I do a lot of rocks and mud. I'd go with the rear first you can tell a bigger difference. Just my .02
Old 03-21-2011, 04:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Originally Posted by mudslut1
Now I have open front and locked rear I think it goes a lot better than the front being locked.
People with selectable lockers sure are lucky!
Old 03-21-2011, 04:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 H.O. 180K miles

I think of an open diff in 2wd as 1 and a half wheel drive, because true one wheel drive would only have one certain wheel getting power, when an open diff just limits you to the lowest traction of each rear wheel. However both wheels have available power.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:58 PM

Year: 1989

Originally Posted by Bossokee
I think of an open diff in 2wd as 1 and a half wheel drive, because true one wheel drive would only have one certain wheel getting power, when an open diff just limits you to the lowest traction of each rear wheel. However both wheels have available power.
With and open diff only one certain wheel will get power, the one with less traction. I do understand what you are saying though, its not like the left rear will always get the power no matter what.