Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Frame Stiffening thread?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 03:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default Frame Stiffening thread?

Who's got ideas or anything, pictures, tutorials, theories, about frame stiffening?

I personally don't have anything (thus, why i'm making this thread). Who's got some ideas for us?
Old 09-23-2014, 05:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door
Engine: 4.0

pretty broad spectrum but I'll share what I've got

this is what I'm cooking up now
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f58/pl...-inner-199156/

I currently like welding plates to the uniframe with a mig using 0.030 wire.
1/8" will work for most near any frame plating and it's pretty much all I use. but I am running ruffstuff 3/16 in the middle

theres a million and one ways to plate the frame. best way to do it is plate front to back on at least 3 sides of the frame, 6-10pt roll cage, and rock sliders that tie into the cage and into the uniframe. although that's pretty unreasonable for most people.

the best upgrade I've ever done as far as bracing/stiffening goes was a good track bar brace. I recommend it for everyone

here's my favorite thread describing how to weld to the uniframe
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/9750902-post14.html
Old 09-23-2014, 05:30 PM
CF Veteran

also there is a TOTM on frame stiffening. but it could use a good update. maybe we can get some good info in this thread then merge it into the TOTM

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/to...103014/index4/

also, plug welds are important. I always make sure to drill a couple into whatever plate I'm making

(they may not look strategically placed but they are) they are less than 1/2" big

Old 09-23-2014, 06:11 PM

I'm curious... What's the strategy there?

And, i remember reading that thread months ago, and still to this day don't trust myself enough to do it yet, hahaha. I should've kept the jeep chassis i had in the backyard and practiced welding to the frame..

Does anyone do any triangular supporting systems? Like, next to each side of the frame rail's to exterior side of the jeep?

I am interested, since i'm still sketched on wheeling without a hatch/doors, and refuse to even drive without doors in fear of tweaking the frame(thus, why want to frame stiffen...

hell, i've wanted to stiffen the frame either way)
Old 09-23-2014, 06:28 PM
CF Veteran

the idea is that you're adding more points of attachment that spread the load and also make them more of 1 solid piece as opposed to simply having a frame plate welded on top of a uniframe. you don't need a million of them like the HDO plates (although it certainly doesnt hurt).

your entire jeep is held together by spot welds. only makes sense to keep applying the same logic

triangles off the frame? say what now? like tie ins going from a frame rail to a rock slider? I'm missing the concept

yeah you should've kept a spare chassis to practice on. the only way to get good at this is to practice. a lot. I recommend practicing (I mean helping) on your friends uniframes first hahaha
Old 09-23-2014, 06:47 PM
Banned

Year: 1997

I bought stiffeners because of Atmos....
Old 09-23-2014, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Atmos
the idea is that you're adding more points of attachment that spread the load and also make them more of 1 solid piece as opposed to simply having a frame plate welded on top of a uniframe. you don't need a million of them like the HDO plates (although it certainly doesnt hurt).

your entire jeep is held together by spot welds. only makes sense to keep applying the same logic

triangles off the frame? say what now? like tie ins going from a frame rail to a rock slider? I'm missing the concept

yeah you should've kept a spare chassis to practice on. the only way to get good at this is to practice. a lot. I recommend practicing (I mean helping) on your friends uniframes first hahaha
I dunno, my brother's friend mentioned it one day, and i was confused also but thought it out and guess it made some sense. (i mean, a triangle is supposed to be the strongest shape in theory, right?)

And, good point, i didn't think about that.

But yeah. I didn't expect to really be thinking about doing this though, which sucked. Oh well, next Jeep i part out or come across, will have a stern practicing on.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:39 PM
CF Veteran

Can you draw a picture of what you're thinking? Or use the paint app on a computer

Yeah I started welding 2 years ago and I just now am able to put decent welds on a uniframe. If you've been welding a couple years you'll probably catch on quick
Old 09-23-2014, 11:51 PM

Can you draw a picture of what you're thinking? Or use the paint app on a computer

Yeah I started welding 2 years ago and I just now am able to put decent welds on a uniframe. If you've been welding a couple years you'll probably catch on quick
The idea was just put a bunch of triangles to extend the "pressure" from the over hangs, and to spread that weight out. So, like, when the frame rails go up into the floor area, throw a few in there, or in between were the rockers would go and the frame rail? Throw a few in there too.

And, there's the issue-- I haven't been welding for very long at all, lol. But honestly, let's face it, when i have enough money to do this for real, and get the proper equipment for it all, i bet i'll have enough experience to do generally pretty well with some unibody welding.
Old 09-24-2014, 03:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

I think what he means is like what the ruffstuff uniframe stiffeners lip that connects to the floor board. But instead if a lip connecting the frame to flour board, a series if triangle that would help spread the load

To the OP. have you seem the gap and space between the doors and body? The doors are not structural at keeping the body straight. You can run doorless and be perfectly fine(except if you're T-boned...lol) the hatch I'm not sure about
Old 09-24-2014, 06:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 HO

I have some pictures in my build thread from when we repaired the frame and plated it with ruff stuffs stiffeners. Probably one of the best things we've done to it. Theres a write up on this forum we used which was very helpful

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f46/la...179327/index5/
Old 09-24-2014, 06:26 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0l h.o.

My local wrench says that some rock sliders and a good belly pan will do the trick. I don't know, it's our first Cherokee. Won't ever buy anything else!
Old 09-24-2014, 09:45 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 1st jeep owner
My local wrench says that some rock sliders and a good belly pan will do the trick. I don't know, it's our first Cherokee. Won't ever buy anything else!
this, as opposed to the OP's triangle idea. provided the rock sliders connect to the frame AND the body underneath the door. belly pan, some frame plates, and good sliders make for a stout middle

this, opposed to anything actually. this is the best way to do it. the floor doesn't hold much structural integrity (granted, something is usually better than nothing). I dont see floor gussets being too necessary. (if that's what you're talking about)

Last edited by Atmos; 09-24-2014 at 09:50 AM.
Old 09-24-2014, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Demonoid369
I think what he means is like what the ruffstuff uniframe stiffeners lip that connects to the floor board. But instead if a lip connecting the frame to flour board, a series if triangle that would help spread the load

To the OP. have you seem the gap and space between the doors and body? The doors are not structural at keeping the body straight. You can run doorless and be perfectly fine(except if you're T-boned...lol) the hatch I'm not sure about
Pretty much.

And, i mean, better safe than sorry? Like, riding on the roads isn't a HUGE concern, but it's mainly the whole offroading part that gets me. All it takes is once, right?
Originally Posted by 1st jeep owner
Won't ever buy anything else!
Good man.
this, opposed to anything actually. this is the best way to do it. the floor doesn't hold much structural integrity (granted, something is usually better than nothing). I dont see floor gussets being too necessary. (if that's what you're talking about)
don't be hatin' the triangles dawg.

no, but in all seriousness, This is probably the better way opposed to the idea my brother's friend threw out there.