Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Taurus SHO fan? mechanical delete?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 12:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 1998 4.0L Inline 6
Default Ford Taurus SHO fan? mechanical delete?

hey everyone

i was looking around at the delete threads for the mechanical fans and found that 90-95 Ford Taurus fans were supposed to be good substitutes...

i went to the junkyard yesterday and picked up a 94 Ford Taurus SHO dual side-by-side electric fan setup.

i was wondering if this would work the same if not better? also ho would i wire it to turn on when the trucks on?

also, one fan is a little smaller than the other so should i make that on the auxiliary fan or just make both turn on when the trucks on???

any help is greatly appreciated...
Old 12-18-2011, 05:55 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

I would just wire it directly to the battery with an inline fuse for safety and a switch. You can hard wire it in from the fuse block for power and it should come one with ignition on(don't quote me on that tho) I have personally done it on the stock efan with a switch and an inline fuse (5amp I believe). No problems. Not sure about the changes to cooling performance with the dual efan/mech fan delete but I'm sure others will chime in
Old 12-18-2011, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by XJ JoeyD
I would just wire it directly to the battery with an inline fuse for safety and a switch. You can hard wire it in from the fuse block for power and it should come one with ignition on(don't quote me on that tho) I have personally done it on the stock efan with a switch and an inline fuse (5amp I believe). No problems. Not sure about the changes to cooling performance with the dual efan/mech fan delete but I'm sure others will chime in
ok because i know that theres the ignition relay and that i need a fuse...

i just dont know how to wire it in so that it will work with that relay

and i dont know if i should wire it so that the bigger fan is on all the time and the smaller one is auxiliary or if i should just have them both on all the time...
Old 12-19-2011, 06:32 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0

I didnt want my elec fan running all the time... it would draw alot of amps and also take forever to warm up in this 20 degree weather we have now. i went to advanceauto parts and bought a thermostat kit for elec fan. it coems with a relay all wiring and a probe you stick in your rad fins. When my jeep reaches 185degrees my elec fan comes on....210 then my aux fan comes on. It works awesome been running it since the summer one of the best mods i did
Old 12-19-2011, 08:40 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

I ditched the mech fan for a taurus fan but mine is only one large 2 speed fan, not duel. I currently have the taurus fan and stock aux fan wired up to two switches on my dash. I also run a thermo fan controller to control the fans when I have it plugged it, still need to install the switch, but I control that by unplugging it from the ignition slot of the interior fuse block.

The wiring of it is simple. I went from the ignition slot of the interior fuse block -> switch -> relay -> ground. The the main power is from power distribution center in engine bay -> 30amp fuse (40amp for high) -> 30amp relay (40amp relay for high) -> fan -> ground. Then the thermo controller simply sends a signal to the relays just like the the switch does.

See, easy!
Old 12-19-2011, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Littlethunder92
I didnt want my elec fan running all the time... it would draw alot of amps and also take forever to warm up in this 20 degree weather we have now. i went to advanceauto parts and bought a thermostat kit for elec fan. it coems with a relay all wiring and a probe you stick in your rad fins. When my jeep reaches 185degrees my elec fan comes on....210 then my aux fan comes on. It works awesome been running it since the summer one of the best mods i did
how did you wire it? has your jeep ever over heated while driving or sitting in traffic?
Old 12-19-2011, 11:30 AM
CF Veteran

I probably use the same thermo controller that littlethunder has cause I got mine from advance. It comes with a wiring layout which makes it easy as installing fog lights. I didnt power the fan directly from the thermo controller cause the wires are rather small compared to my 10AWG for low and 8AWG for high i run. Sure it might be overkill but idk even know if my aux fan works lol
Old 12-19-2011, 11:33 AM

Engine: 4.0l

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/se...=Hayden&mc=HAD
Old 12-19-2011, 03:58 PM

is this a set up that turns on automatically?
Old 12-19-2011, 04:12 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Gizmo52
is this a set up that turns on automatically?
Yes, but make sure the controller can handle the amperage draw from the fan, otherwise you will keep blowing relays
Old 12-19-2011, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by TheJerm
Yes, but make sure the controller can handle the amperage draw from the fan, otherwise you will keep blowing relays
ok ill take a look at it... my mechanic buddy said i can just wire it to the accesory wire on my ignition and it will work just as good... i just dont know which was to go... but i got another buddy who's amazing with car electronics and he said hell help me but he cant do it till after the holiday
Old 12-19-2011, 04:44 PM

Engine: 4.0L I6

Here is a wiring diagram I made for my car with a Taurus fan.

Since you have two fans and the Cherokee has the aux fan, you can drop the second fan controller and use the aux fan input instead.

Also, with the 2 speed fan that most people use, you only want to ever provide power to one speed at a time so that is why there is the 3rd relay to make sure that LOW and HIGH never get power at the same time.

With 2 fans, you would only need 2 relays, one temperature controlled and one manual/aux controlled.

Not sure on yours, but the 2 Speed Taurus fan is known to have very high amperage draws so it is important to use fuses and relays to control it.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:47 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by ManiacXJ
Also, with the 2 speed fan that most people use, you only want to ever provide power to one speed at a time so that is why there is the 3rd relay to make sure that LOW and HIGH never get power at the same time.
I simple use a 3 way switch with only 1 + lead coming from ignition, What is the purpose of the top 40a relay cause your diagram has it as holding the system open? I dont see why you need 3 relays and 2 fan controllers to control 2 fans. I only needed 1 controller,2 relays and 1 feed back loop for 2 speed fan and stock aux fan. Much simpler.

edit, my control does have capacity for 2 fans and both (taurus high and aux) kick on above 210.

Last edited by TheJerm; 12-19-2011 at 05:49 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:35 PM

Jerm could. U please post a diagram of ur wiring setup? I have two fans to control and urs sounds the most simple. Thanks ahead of time.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:15 PM

Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by TheJerm
I simple use a 3 way switch with only 1 + lead coming from ignition, What is the purpose of the top 40a relay cause your diagram has it as holding the system open? I dont see why you need 3 relays and 2 fan controllers to control 2 fans. I only needed 1 controller,2 relays and 1 feed back loop for 2 speed fan and stock aux fan. Much simpler.

edit, my control does have capacity for 2 fans and both (taurus high and aux) kick on above 210.
Yes, the first relay doesn't really need to be there. I was just keeping power cut off as early as possible in the chain but without a trigger voltage from the manual switch or the fan controller it isn't going to pass the second relay anyway.

The 2 fan controllers for mine was because I wanted two different trigger temperatures for the two speeds and didn't trust the signal coming off of my aux fan at the time as it hadn't been working.

This was on my car, not a cherokee and I was also tearing out the entire A/C system at the time so there wasn't going to be a signal for triggering it with the A/C either. As I said in the post, his setup is different and wouldn't be an exact match to my diagram, just thought it might help get the ideas flowing.

My active setup in the car is actually a single speed as the LOW speed of the Taurus fan is plenty of airflow to keep my car cooled at all times, even stuck in traffic in 110F Texas summers.

Quick Reply: Ford Taurus SHO fan? mechanical delete?