Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fix roof rack leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default fix roof rack leak

How would I go about fixing a leaky roof rack? Would I just take the headliner off and then would the bolts be right there? Also, would it be possible to put the knee back on, or would need to buy another one?

My Jeep xj has been leaking whenever it rains since I got it a year ago. It leaks driver floor, passenger floor, under the rear seat, and in the trunk; the worst is on the passenger floor though. Any other places it would be leaking from besides the roof rack?
Old 06-02-2013, 06:49 PM

Year: 98
Engine: 4.0 i6

Originally Posted by shanimal92
How would I go about fixing a leaky roof rack? Would I just take the headliner off and then would the bolts be right there? Also, would it be possible to put the knee back on, or would need to buy another one?

My Jeep xj has been leaking whenever it rains since I got it a year ago. It leaks driver floor, passenger floor, under the rear seat, and in the trunk; the worst is on the passenger floor though. Any other places it would be leaking from besides the roof rack?
Mine leaks through the firewall on the passenger side but only when I pressure wash it. Good thing I don't have carpet
Old 06-06-2013, 04:41 AM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 HO

Tge rack unbolts from the top. No need to take out the headliner. The leaks in front are most likely from the door seals. They get compressed and need to be replaced. Water might be coming in from the fire wall under the heater blower motor. If you have leaks in the back they might be from the aft roof rack bolt holes. I had huge rust holes I had to patch.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Beerguitar69
Tge rack unbolts from the top. No need to take out the headliner. The leaks in front are most likely from the door seals. They get compressed and need to be replaced. Water might be coming in from the fire wall under the heater blower motor. If you have leaks in the back they might be from the aft roof rack bolt holes. I had huge rust holes I had to patch.
if i have leaking from the heater blower, would it be coming from behind your feet sit on the ground (behind the glove box), or would the leaking be coming from the plastic side panels where the fuse box is?
Old 06-08-2013, 03:28 AM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 HO

Look under the dash on the passenger side. Pull the carpet down a little and pull the black piece under the carpet up so you can see where the blower motor mounts to the firewall. The firewall will rust right where the blower mounts. When you drive through a puddle the water will come right off the front tire in through where it is rusted out.

I would also check the door seals. Close the doors, roll the window down and shine a flash light in the crack at the top of the door. If they are bad you will see light.

Hope this helps.

Travis
Old 06-08-2013, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Beerguitar69
Look under the dash on the passenger side. Pull the carpet down a little and pull the black piece under the carpet up so you can see where the blower motor mounts to the firewall. The firewall will rust right where the blower mounts. When you drive through a puddle the water will come right off the front tire in through where it is rusted out.

I would also check the door seals. Close the doors, roll the window down and shine a flash light in the crack at the top of the door. If they are bad you will see light.

Hope this helps.

Travis
Ill try the flash light trick. But, my Jeep leaks even when im not moving. Say i go to bed and it rains for a couple hours. Ill go to work and find that my trunk and back seat are damp, and my front floors are wet. I know the back is not the blower, but could it still be causing it to leak in the front when not moving?