Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fender trimming questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 05:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 98
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default fender trimming questions

Alright I've searched an googled an all the write ups on fender trimming don't have much info on how much to cut an how to dress it up after. I've seen a lot of fenders that have like a rolled lip look still an I'm wondering if they just took the flares off an that's what it ends up looking like. I don't like agressive trimming an I need to find some examples of a mild trim an a cheap easy way to dress it up an look presentable when I'm done. Gonna remove the flares tomorrow an see what I'm looking at. Wondering what the difference between trimming 1 or 2 inches looks like an what a few inches looks like. Also can I just take the flares an brackets off trim the inner fender an leave it. Any help is greatly appreciated
Old 03-13-2011, 08:43 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: Inline 6

it all depends on how much do you want to trim. just go with how much you feel is ok or enough. as far as the "rolled look" ive only seen that done in the rear by cutting thin tabs and folding them back because of the pinch weld. now for dressing up your after your done i used door trim stuff. im not sure how its called but it really gives it a clean look. good luck man..
Old 03-13-2011, 08:45 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0HO

Originally Posted by xjbuddy
now for dressing up your after your done i used door trim stuff. im not sure how its called but it really gives it a clean look..
Edge molding...

but this is a better way to dress the fenders up

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f58/st...ares-so-50571/
Old 03-13-2011, 08:46 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: Inline 6

Originally Posted by ericfx1984
Edge molding...
BINGO!!!
Old 03-13-2011, 09:08 PM

No flare laws in ms so I'm gonna run them without. I've read some more an realized my 98 won't require me to cut the front of the fender off. I'm really hoping I can just cut the lip off or to the flare mounting holes. I've seen people go up a lot higher but that doesn't appeal to me at all. Molding available at autozone?
Old 03-13-2011, 09:23 PM

Year: 98/01
Engine: 4.0 H.O./ 383 Stroker

When I trimmed out fenders on multiple XJ's. I first get some tape and run around the edge of the fender. then I measure out 2 to 3 inches depending on what size tire I am running on that rig and then make a mark then O connect all the marks and then proceed to cut with a cut off wheel (saw zall is just too jagged) this is how I do it hope this gives some insight Happy Trimming
Old 03-13-2011, 09:26 PM

When u say 2-3 inches you mean from the outer edge of the factory lip an go up? I was hoping to just basically cut the lip off right under the mounting holes or thru the mounting holes. I shouldn't have to cut under the side marker on a 98 right?
Old 03-13-2011, 09:36 PM

You will not need to trim as much in the front of the fender as you have to in the back by the door. and the 2 bolts on the bottom of the fender I have cut down the middle! Then after I cut that I went on the inside of the wheel well where the seam is and cut them in sections and then beat it in with a hammer that way you would cut your tire when it tucks up in.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:43 PM

Yea the back I was just gonna cut it to the pinch welds an bend it over. The front is what gets confusing. Seen some people that looks like they cut nothing off just sectioned it alil an bent it back. Left a real nice rolled lip. Then I've seen people hack it half way to the hood. I wanna stay pretty mild.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:45 PM

I would start out small trim a little off at a time you will do fine . Just go slow
Old 03-13-2011, 10:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 92

pm'd ya
Old 03-13-2011, 10:41 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by neeland
Alright I've searched an googled an all the write ups on fender trimming don't have much info on how much to cut an how to dress it up after. I've seen a lot of fenders that have like a rolled lip look still an I'm wondering if they just took the flares off an that's what it ends up looking like. I don't like agressive trimming an I need to find some examples of a mild trim an a cheap easy way to dress it up an look presentable when I'm done. Gonna remove the flares tomorrow an see what I'm looking at. Wondering what the difference between trimming 1 or 2 inches looks like an what a few inches looks like. Also can I just take the flares an brackets off trim the inner fender an leave it. Any help is greatly appreciated
Take a look at my build thread, page 22. It's bascially a write-up on how I trimmed my front fenders. I took a couple inches off and dressed it up with some edge trim/molding. I don't think it's too aggressive but is still very functional. There's plenty of pictures, before, during, and after.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by sanchezcruz_20

Take a look at my build thread, page 22. It's bascially a write-up on how I trimmed my front fenders. I took a couple inches off and dressed it up with some edge trim/molding. I don't think it's too aggressive but is still very functional. There's plenty of pictures, before, during, and after.
Thanks I was actually reading thru ur build earlier but had to stop around page 20. Very impressive build thread. How long did it take u to get your rc long arm on. Really need to get it done in one day. Gonna have some help hopefully. Anything u didn't post on the thread that I need to look out for?

Sn: I finally opened all my boxes for the lift this evening an checked everything out. I asked if they could throw in some stickers an stuff. Guy told me sure no problem. There's no stickers in these boxes. Cmon dude I just bought the most expensive product u sell. Plus a sye an steering stabilizer. You'd think 1700 bucks could get u a few .20 stickers. Gonna call an ask wth in the morning
Old 03-16-2011, 09:48 PM

Engine: 4.0L

My Cherokee is a 1998 and I cut slits in the front fenders and rolled the edges so that it wasn't too flimsy/weak, and to keep from having the sharp edge look. I then taped it off and sprayed it with rocker guard.

Here is the front with no flare/no cutting (never got a closeup):

This is with the first lip cut off:

And this is with it rolled to the second lip and painted:

Old 03-16-2011, 10:21 PM

That looks real nice

Quick Reply: fender trimming questions