Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OR-Fab XJ Bumper W/Hoop - Warn Winch - Pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 03:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default OR-Fab XJ Bumper W/Hoop - Warn Winch - Pics

There seems to be a lack of pictures and discussion for the OR-Fab XJ front bumper. There are a few though, and from those it seems that a common complaint is the fitment of the bumper to the body, as in the gap between the bottom of the grill and the bumper itself.

I came across this bumper when I was looking for fender flares. I am sure a lot of yall are aware that the guys that make the X-Max fender flares at Notch Customs use these bumpers and they look great! Well, I agreed. I am in the process of installing the X-Max Flares, but I figured I would go ahead and share some info about this bumper.

I hated the fitment. So what I did was take it back off, and I re-drilled the holes using a mini mill, so that the whole dang bumper sat about 3/4 of an inch further in and about 3/5 of an inch up tighter to the body.

Please excuse the fenders and the dirt. I am in the process of installing the X-Max Fender Flares. I am also working on a light bar mount that will float my bar in the center of my hoop, hanging down from the mounting bracket holes on the top of the Hoop. I am going to relocate my solenoid to inside the cab somewhere tucked away. Pretty soon I will have some Rigid Industries Hyperspot Lights mounted on the hoop. Then eventually the Rigid Hyperspot/Driving light 20 inch combo mounted in place of my current light bar.

A little info about my front end:

OR-Fab XJ Bumper W/Hoop

I love the Warn Premium Hook and Shackles, but after only a few months they are already showing signs of wear. I have been in contact with Warn, apparently there is a quality control issue with these products. They have been pulled from the various stores and they will replace my products when they figure out a solution. I freaking love Warns customer service!

I will be more than happy to answer any and all questions about the bumper! I want to share as much information as possible.

Here are the results:

Before

After

Old 02-14-2015, 07:41 PM
    CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
    Engine: 4.0L

Good work! Looks great!
    Old 02-15-2015, 03:59 AM
    CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
    Year: 2001

Guess OR-Fab was like "Eh close enough"

Looks good.
    Old 02-15-2015, 05:56 AM
    CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Hope you have better luck with the syn. rope than I had after the 3rd use mine had to be replaced because of all the small cuts, nicks and heavy rub marks. They were caused by rocks mostly smaller and sharp edged ones a few larger and one of the hardest were tree trunks where it rubbed against. Not a total waste use some of it camping and for tying things down on the rack.

When I replaced it I went back with wire rope and no more problems. Here is mine mounted on my $40 craigslist bumper.

Name:  Jeep3-29-14023_zpscdb1ae5a.jpg
Views: 761
Size:  86.8 KB
    Old 02-15-2015, 07:16 AM
    CF Veteran

Received 224 Likes on 174 Posts
    Model: Cherokee (XJ)
    Engine: 4.0 L

Good work! Looks much more clean mounted flush like that. Do you know if they make this bumper without the hoop?
    Old 02-16-2015, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by XJmike0122
    Guess OR-Fab was like "Eh close enough" Looks good.
    My thoughts exactly... Don't even get me started on the notch customs flares.
    Old 02-16-2015, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
    Hope you have better luck with the syn. rope than I had after the 3rd use mine had to be replaced because of all the small cuts, nicks and heavy rub marks. They were caused by rocks mostly smaller and sharp edged ones a few larger and one of the hardest were tree trunks where it rubbed against. Not a total waste use some of it camping and for tying things down on the rack.

When I replaced it I went back with wire rope and no more problems. Here is mine mounted on my $40 craigslist bumper.

Most of my wheeling is sand, clay, and mud. Not rocks and such.. And for as often as I will use it, I prefer the lightness of the synthetic as well as the fact that it does not stretch. And I wanted to try something new. Plus, admittedly I think it looks better. It was definitely a not so justified want. But I decided to give it a shot. I do have a tree hugger and some ****** blocks if ever need be.

Not a bad buy for 40$! Ha

I have a very specific look I am going for with my jeep for what I am picturing in my head. And I love how tucked in this bumper is. It actually sticks out about half an inch further than the stock bumper end caps do after my modifications.

How often do you use your winch if you don't mind me asking?
    Old 02-16-2015, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by XJlimitedx99
    Good work! Looks much more clean mounted flush like that. Do you know if they make this bumper without the hoop?
    Yes sir! Iv seen them, not sure who all sells them and at what prices, but just a quick Google search got me here.

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Bumpers-T...&t_pn=ORF83241

May I ask what you like about not having a hoop?
    Old 02-16-2015, 07:25 AM
    CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
    Year: 2001

Originally Posted by DigitalBman
    My thoughts exactly... Don't even get me started on the notch customs flares.
    Was there problems with them?
    Old 02-16-2015, 08:00 AM
    CF Veteran

Yes sir! Iv seen them, not sure who all sells them and at what prices, but just a quick Google search got me here. http://www.4wheelparts.com/Bumpers-T...&t_pn=ORF83241 May I ask what you like about not having a hoop?
    TBH I've never wanted the hoop look on my jeep. I think it makes the front too clustered. That, and I like to keep the grill as open as possible for air flow. The hoop on this bumper is very tame though and probably one of the better looking ones out there.
    Old 02-16-2015, 10:34 AM
    CF Veteran

Most of my wheeling is sand, clay, and mud. Not rocks and such.. And for as often as I will use it, I prefer the lightness of the synthetic as well as the fact that it does not stretch. And I wanted to try something new. Plus, admittedly I think it looks better. It was definitely a not so justified want. But I decided to give it a shot. I do have a tree hugger and some ****** blocks if ever need be.

Not a bad buy for 40$! Ha

I have a very specific look I am going for with my jeep for what I am picturing in my head. And I love how tucked in this bumper is. It actually sticks out about half an inch further than the stock bumper end caps do after my modifications.

How often do you use your winch if you don't mind me asking?

Where we go not uncommon to use the winch at the least 4 or 5 times a trip in the 50 mi. run on one trail in 2 states. Then at other times in the same National Forest depends on how much rain has washed out even more trails. At times use it as much as a chainsaw just getting through everything. My wife and I wheel alone most all the time during the week on marked (Impassable Forest Service Roads" not "Closed" just nothing done to them in over 6 yrs. so most all washed away.

Where we take off from depending on trails used we can up in 3 different states before hitting a traveled road of any kind. The big plus we can hunt these areas also now mostly for Hogs but lots of Turkey, Deer, Bear, Coyote's, Bobcat and all kind of small game. We are lucky to have these areas to hunt my wife and I.

Here is a photo on one of those trails a 100 yrds. ahead of us here is a very deep washed out creek 8 ft. can drive in but have to winch out to steep. Second one is up about 1000' higher than the first.

Name:  008_zpsc5c6b575.jpg
Views: 751
Size:  120.4 KB

Name:  010_zpse58960ac.jpg
Views: 670
Size:  153.2 KB
    Old 02-16-2015, 10:44 AM
    CF Veteran

TBH I've never wanted the hoop look on my jeep. I think it makes the front too clustered. That, and I like to keep the grill as open as possible for air flow. The hoop on this bumper is very tame though and probably one of the better looking ones out there.

My XJ even during the summer runs under 210* with AC on in traffic and on highway with my setup ever. That's in addition to a large trans cooler in front of the radiator.

A cooling system in good shape should not have any issues with air flow like this.
    Old 02-16-2015, 10:47 AM
    CF Veteran

My XJ even during the summer runs under 210* with AC on in traffic and on highway with my setup ever. That's in addition to a large trans cooler in front of the radiator. A cooling system in good shape should not have any issues with air flow like this.
    It's more about the looks. And running under 210 on the highway doesn't say much about airflow, I'm more concerned about slow speed wheelin
    Old 02-16-2015, 11:55 AM
    CF Veteran

It's more about the looks. And running under 210 on the highway doesn't say much about airflow, I'm more concerned about slow speed wheelin

Mine is 95% off road and still under 210* not a DD for sure. Do I need to spell out everything for you to understand?
    Old 02-16-2015, 12:08 PM
    CF Veteran

Mine is 95% off road and still under 210* not a DD for sure. Do I need to spell out everything for you to understand?
    excuse me?

I'm not trying to argue about this, Fred. I see plenty about your jeep on here. You're much farther along and more experience than I. I get it. No need to talk at me like I'm an idiot though.

Quick Reply: OR-Fab XJ Bumper W/Hoop - Warn Winch - Pics