Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Even more SYE questions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Even more SYE questions.

I have done my share of researching here but before I buy something I want to be 100% positive I'm correct.

I have a 1992 XJ Limited
I have a transfer case with Full time 4x4. If what I read is correct, its a np242 transfer case.

I am not finding SYE kits for this case for a reasonable price, but I found this hack 'n tap kit.
http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/10482.html

Am I on the right track here? This and a new drive shaft and I'm set?
Old 03-01-2017, 04:33 PM

Received 52 Likes on 51 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

yes hack n tap is the most reasonable option for your 242. If you are planning on running auto lockers in the diffs I would recommend finding a 231 and put a proper SYE in that. awd and lockers dont jive.
Old 03-01-2017, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by aka"dude"
yes hack n tap is the most reasonable option for your 242. If you are planning on running auto lockers in the diffs I would recommend finding a 231 and put a proper SYE in that. awd and lockers dont jive.
No lockers for me. Im really just a hobbyist learning how to work on my jeep. Might do a little mudding or crawling every now and again but nothing hardcore.

Is this literally all I need or do I need any other parts. I see they had a jig for the drilling so thats for sure.
Old 03-01-2017, 04:42 PM

Received 52 Likes on 51 Posts
Year: 1998

Originally Posted by NastyNinjaBEar
No lockers for me. Im really just a hobbyist learning how to work on my jeep. Might do a little mudding or crawling every now and again but nothing hardcore.

Is this literally all I need or do I need any other parts. I see they had a jig for the drilling so thats for sure.
yep the kit and a second front driveshaft should get it done. I think IRO sells the whole shebang with the driveshaft included, do that if its in the cards $ wise. Happy jeeping
Old 03-02-2017, 07:52 AM

Im doing this to try to remove drive shaft vibration. Can I get away with just a front drive shaft or do I need the whole double cardan CV Style drive shaft deal?

EDIT: Ignore that, just saw the kit. It does thave that. Thanks so much for your help! gonna order it now.

EDIT2: Upon reading more, they want you to install the kit then order a custom made drive shaft so maybe the front drive shaft is the way to go. But im worried its not going to fix my issue?

Last edited by NastyNinjaBEar; 03-02-2017 at 07:56 AM.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995

I just installed the IronRock np242 hack n tap sye kit and used a junk yard front drive shaft for the rear. The kit works great and is a fairly easy do it yourself project. I recommend buying the drill bits and tap unless you have those already and have good drill bits. I used a front shaft so I only need one spare shaft to carry around as it will fit both front or back. The NP242 is a great transfer case, I really like the Full time option it has for when it is icy on the roads.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by winksjeep
I just installed the IronRock np242 hack n tap sye kit and used a junk yard front drive shaft for the rear. The kit works great and is a fairly easy do it yourself project. I recommend buying the drill bits and tap unless you have those already and have good drill bits. I used a front shaft so I only need one spare shaft to carry around as it will fit both front or back. The NP242 is a great transfer case, I really like the Full time option it has for when it is icy on the roads.
Can't thank you enough for that input makes me more comfortable doing the job.

A new question arises for me now. If I use the front drive shaft and it doesnt have the double cardan joing, wouldnt I still have the same vibration issues? My driveshaft angle is steep so its hitting the U joints when I brake hard.

By all means, I would LOVE to use a junkyard driveshaft if it will work for the reasons you stated, cost and convenience is huge, but I worry that it will just hit like its currently doing.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995

Originally Posted by NastyNinjaBEar
Can't thank you enough for that input makes me more comfortable doing the job.

A new question arises for me now. If I use the front drive shaft and it doesnt have the double cardan joing, wouldnt I still have the same vibration issues? My driveshaft angle is steep so its hitting the U joints when I brake hard.

By all means, I would LOVE to use a junkyard driveshaft if it will work for the reasons you stated, cost and convenience is huge, but I worry that it will just hit like its currently doing.
Yes the front shaft has the double joint on the transfer case side. More info is needed on your setup like lift height, leaf spring angle shims used?

For example, my 95 has a 5 inch lift with a 7 degree angle shim under the spring pack. This with the hack n tap SYE on a NP242 and front shaft in the back equals good to go for me.
Old 03-02-2017, 12:46 PM

I have a 92 with a 4.5 inch lift with no shims. The u-joints only rub while braking hard. So I'm trying to find the right solution to fix it. It sounds like this is it.

Last edited by NastyNinjaBEar; 03-02-2017 at 01:45 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-27-2017, 07:43 AM

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for their recommendations. I finally got the hack n tap SYE done, solved everything. I ran 2 inch blocks (blocks had 2 degree shim built in) + 6 degree shims. Angle was perfect, no more vibration.

Thanks everyone!