Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine swap questions...

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Engine swap questions...

Mods, feel free to move to the appropriate place if I'm posting in the wrong spot.

Here’s the story. I plan on yanking the engine and head from my ‘97 Sport, rebuilding the engine completely and doing some mild porting on the head, and installing it in my ‘00 Sport.

These are my questions:

1) I plan to use the “minivan coil pack” conversion for the ignition, due to the older head not being drilled for the rail. Are there any specific models I should seek out and/or avoid?

2) What cam would be my best bet for an increase in low-end torque without any reliability issues or excessive fuel consumption?

3) Other than having to use the older-style mid pipe on the exhaust, what issues will I run into using a set of headers designed for the ‘97-style head? Also, is there a particular brand I should look for and/or avoid?

4) For the “4-hole injector” upgrade, what is the OEM-use vehicle model I should be looking for that will work with the ‘00-model fuel injector plugs?

5) Will I be able to use the head gasket kit for the ‘97 with the ‘00 intake manifold, or will I need to piecemeal it together using specific individual gaskets for each component?

6) Will the accessory brackets from the ‘00 match up to the ‘97 head, or will I have to fabricate anything there?