Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Durango steering box adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 09:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Durango steering box adjustment

Anyone have to adjust their d-box after doing the sway? I don't mean the top "over-center" adjustment, under the electric fan. I mean the thrust bearing preload for a "looseness" in the box.

I have a NAPA reman I put in almost four months ago, felt loose and sloppy the first day, but I was in school and just dealt with it. I'm on real now and need to fix it.

I'm 90% sure the box is the cause of the sloppy steering. EVERYTHING else up front in new.

I still have my old 170K box, of which I adjusted the thrust bearing preload. I am going to pull the NAPA box out, bring it to them and get a new box under warranty (Durango again), but wanted to know if that is common since the Durango box was meant for a different vehicle.

I'll put my old box in (newly adjusted preload) while I wait for the 2nd NAPA box to come in.
Old 05-17-2014, 07:21 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996

It adjusts the same way a XJ box adjusts.. FWI, just keep traking boxes back till you hit on a good one.. Remember what Reman means.. A couple months ago that box was a broken box somebody else turned in as a CORE. Sometime you jhave to go through a few remans to hit on a good one.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:01 PM

Year: 1999

Yeah, what do you mean by tracking boxes? Is there a way you test them before you put them on?