Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dual stabilizer on 3" lift

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 10:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L straight 6
Default Dual stabilizer on 3" lift

Doing a dual stabilizer on my 99 XJ with 3" Zone Off Road lift.

https://www.quadratec.com/p/rough-co...ngler-tj-87308

Any suggestions? Things to watch out for or other concerns during/after replacement? Reason for replacement was a death wobble caused by a blown u joint (just replaced fri/sat) and a leak found in the body of the existing stabilizer after a post wobble check up.
Old 05-13-2019, 02:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Year: 96 & 88 4 dr Cherokees

A blown u-joint causing death wobble.....new one on me.

Why do you want to go double ??

Right now, I don't even have one, and it drives fine.......wouldn't even put on if it wasn't for state inspections asking what is that bolt hole for ??
Old 05-13-2019, 02:54 PM

Yea, the U joint was a surprise on me honestly. As for going double, the cost is pretty low on the unit and with the lift kit I'm looking to keep her in one piece for as long as I can. Not to mention it's currently my daily driver for the time being while I repair my old car.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Year: 96 & 88 4 dr Cherokees

The vehicle I was talking about is my DD as well.

Just don't see a need for dual stabs, especially on a DD with less than 40" tires.
Old 05-13-2019, 06:45 PM

In truth, the reasoning was more or less "this looks cool and no one will see it once i put my front skid back on"
Old 05-13-2019, 07:58 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Originally Posted by TaurenTom
In truth, the reasoning was more or less "this looks cool and no one will see it once i put my front skid back on"
So, looks cool, but no one will see it? Sounds logical.

In all seriousness, a properly setup and maintained front end won't even need a stabilizer. I haven't run one in years.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:35 PM

Never thought I'd be defending a parts purchase in an online forum of people that like to put beyond stock alterations on a vehicle lol.

Yes, it looks cools. Do I care if anyone else sees it as long as it does the job it was designed to perform? No?
The vehicle prior to my purchase had hit a family of deer and the front end was reconstructed using a combination of new and junkyard parts. The saying "it will never be like new" pretty much is the best way of describing the vehicle. I've been slowly over the year and a half of owning it, rebuilding and repairing other items installed or even just electrical taped by the last owner.
Old 05-14-2019, 08:34 AM

Don't look at it as people attacking your choice, look at it as a few seasoned people trying to help your wallet.. ultimately it is your money and decision, but why spend extra money for no real gain...stabilizers don't prevent DW, only mask it. Just replace it with a stock one, and use the money elsewhere on your ride...just a suggestion
Old 05-14-2019, 08:42 AM

I am aware it only masks the wobble and the advice I do appreciate and I understand not all rigs are the same in their conditions and operations.

I honestly was looking more for advice on what else needs to be done or should be done at the same time. The other discourse is helpful, but not the goal of the thread.
Old 05-14-2019, 08:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 250 Likes on 168 Posts
Engine: 4.0

I wonder if dual stabilizers make the steering "feel" lighter, heavier, or any different at all. I'd buy a single Old Man Emu stabilizer before I bought two from Rough Country, but that's just me.

Also - we just want to make sure you understand that death wobble is very rarely caused by or "cured" from stabilizers. It usually means there is a problem with your track bar, tires, tie-rods, tie-rod ends, ball joints, etc.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:07 AM

That's cool. I had replaced the u joint and an outer tie rod end over the weekend which seemed to cause the death wobble I experienced on thursday/friday. The stabilizer was just a victim of the ordeal and since I have the front skid off figured I'd adress it as well.
Old 05-17-2019, 03:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

The function of a steering stabilizer, or any shock absorber, is to dampen the system so that it doesn't over oscillate, two dampers in parallel act like one of twice the damping factor.
So by having two dampers, you get:
at best; twice the number of wear parts and failure modes, as well as additional unsprung mass, (assuming each shock has a value of half of the factory shock's damping factor)
or at worst, twice the damping factor, leading to an over damped system that will resist changes in the shaft velocity more than as designed (makes it harder to quickly steer the wheel) (assuming each damper has the same damping factor as the original one, ie; twice the damping)

so the best course of action, is to just use one steering stabilizer, like the proffessional automotive engineers at chrysler designed it to use. Now since you do have larger tires (i assume) there is a slight increase in mass, but the larger tires also run at a lower psi (so a lower stiffness) meaning, your probably still in the ball park of an oem style steering stabilizer

Last edited by kyle96xj; 05-17-2019 at 03:52 PM.
Old 05-17-2019, 05:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 247 Likes on 206 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0

Dual stabilizers reduce vehicle value.
Old 05-17-2019, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by unidentifiedbomb
Dual stabilizers reduce vehicle value.
Dual stabilizers give you testicular cancer.

Not cool, especially if you're female
Old 05-18-2019, 06:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.6 I6

Originally Posted by Battle
I wonder if dual stabilizers make the steering "feel" lighter, heavier, or any different at all. I'd buy a single Old Man Emu stabilizer before I bought two from Rough Country, but that's just me.
If you want tighter steering look into steering box bracing.

Personally I went with the boostwerks ultimate steering box brace because it really helps tie the front end together and put the steering shaft in double shear.

Quick Reply: Dual stabilizer on 3" lift