Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

does anyone know how to do the rear brake line extension

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 02:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default does anyone know how to do the rear brake line extension

please post pics or like a walk through on how to do this cause i can not get the brake line of the original mount am i doing somthing wrong..my main problem is not being able to get the brake line off the old mount is there a trick to it or somthing

Last edited by rwood93; 08-22-2011 at 02:05 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator

You do have to disconnect the flex line from the hardline. Then there is a little clip that holds the hardline to the mount. You can pull this clip out easily with needlenose pliars. Once you have the hardline free of the mount, just carefully bend it down, connect the flex hose back up and bleed your brakes.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:15 PM

oh so all i gotta do is pull that clip out...cause i start like unscrewin the hard line from the flex like and now i have a driveway full of brake fluid and a pissed off dad...
Old 08-22-2011, 02:29 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator

Yep, that little clip should pull out with a little tug with pliars. If it's really rusty you may have some troubles.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:43 PM

so i dont have to unscrew anything just pull that clip out
Old 08-22-2011, 02:52 PM
CF Veteran

You do have to pull the clip out and I believe you will have to unscrew the flexable line from the hardline to get them out of the mount. I'm pretty sure the mount just has a hole through it so you have to take the line apart to get it all the way free of the mount.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

something tells me you aren't exactly qualified to be doing this... He's recommending a "free fix" to extending the rear line but I don't approve of this method; an unsupported hard line is sketch. Rusty's, as well as a few others, sell drop brackets. When I installed one on my 97 I didn't have to separate the line to install it. If you're going to separate the line, purchase a new, longer, flex line and be done with it.

Last edited by s14unimog; 08-22-2011 at 03:23 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:57 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: The venerable 4.0

Where can you find a longer flex line? I haven't found an application specific one...
Old 08-22-2011, 03:03 PM
CF Veteran

Sketch??? What exactly is Sketch??? I'm guessing since you use a word like Sketch that you have probably had your license and been driving and working on your own vehicle for about 10 minutes. If you're a full grown man and use words like Sketch, I'd say your advice most likely isn't all that good either.

When I bought and installed my Rusty's 4.5" lift kit, 6 friggin' years ago. The kit came with a rear brake line extention bracket. It said right in the instructions that you first needed to remove the brake line from the old mount, and then the extention mount was actually mounted to the OEM mount. I figured that was what he was talking about doing when he wanted to know how to do a "rear brakeline extention". A blind man could see you don't just leave a brakeline flapping in the breeze where it was hard mounted otherwise the line will vibrate, crack and leak there.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:05 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Slick761
Where can you find a longer flex line? I haven't found an application specific one...
You can get a longer flex line from just about any 4x4 parts house around. Do a google search and buy from the place that gives you the best deal. Most all places who sell them have them made by a company called Crown. that make great quality flexible lines.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

heres a way to get a couple of more inchs out backhttp://industryfigure.com/berkeley/J...akes/index.htm
Old 08-22-2011, 03:10 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: The venerable 4.0

Originally Posted by BuckB91XJ

You can get a longer flex line from just about any 4x4 parts house around. Do a google search and buy from the place that gives you the best deal. Most all places who sell them have them made by a company called Crown. that make great quality flexible lines.
Why have I had a hard time with this :-\
Old 08-22-2011, 03:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BuckB91XJ
Sketch??? What exactly is Sketch??? I'm guessing since you use a word like Sketch that you have probably had your license and been driving and working on your own vehicle for about 10 minutes. If you're a full grown man and use words like Sketch, I'd say your advice most likely isn't all that good either.

When I bought and installed my Rusty's 4.5" lift kit, 6 friggin' years ago. The kit came with a rear brake line extention bracket. It said right in the instructions that you first needed to remove the brake line from the old mount, and then the extention mount was actually mounted to the OEM mount. I figured that was what he was talking about doing when he wanted to know how to do a "rear brakeline extention". A blind man could see you don't just leave a brakeline flapping in the breeze where it was hard mounted otherwise the line will vibrate, crack and leak there.
sketch - Adjective - pronounced: ˈskeCHē
1) Not thorough or detailed.
2) someone or something that just isnt right.
3) something unsafe

You are quite incorrect with your assumption of me. Either the case, your rebuttal to my statement, and specifically its tone, suggest that you are more immature than myself. I am clearly pointing out that I would not advice the same instructions from the OP's original question. CALM DOWN.

If you are going the bracket route, here is a picture of mine for an installation reference.

Last edited by s14unimog; 08-22-2011 at 03:24 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:27 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by s14unimog
something tells me you aren't exactly qualified to be doing this... He's recommending a "free fix" to extending the rear line but I don't approve of this method; unsupported hard line is sketch. Rusty's, as well as a few others, sell drop brackets. When I installed one on my 97 I didn't have to separate the line to install it. If you're going to separate the line, purchase a new, longer, flex line and be done with it.
So tell me how you would react to somebody, who does not know you or your amount of knowledge and experience working on vehicles, if they made a statement like that? You don't know me, so what credentials give you the right to even think you know more than somebody else. Enough so that you can boldly make a statement like you did to somebody you don't know like you did. Oh, and the fancy words, let me tell you how not impressed I was by that. I've worked with a lot of pretty boy, college educated, arrogant, jet pilots who didn't know their butt from a hole in the ground about the inner workings of the RADAR, radios, navigation aids and weapons systems they operated every day. They too, talked real fancy like you but, they couldn't fix anything mechanical to save their lives.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:30 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by s14unimog
sketch - Adjective - pronounced: ˈskeCHē
1) Not thorough or detailed.
2) someone or something that just isnt right.
3) something unsafe

You are quite incorrect with your assumption of me. Either the case, your rebuttal to my statement, and specifically its tone, suggest that you are more immature than myself. I am clearly pointing out that I would not advice the same instructions from the OP's original question. CALM DOWN.

If you are going the bracket route, here is a picture of mine for an installation reference.

BTW, that bracket is a hokey, inexpensive way of getting around the proper way of extending the rear brakeline. I took the Rusty's bracket off of my Jeep about 3 years ago, put the hardline back into the OEM mount and then installed an extended braded steel flex line. You may want to take a look at your hardline there. it looks like it has some soft spots in it from excessive straightening and bending.

Quick Reply: does anyone know how to do the rear brake line extension