Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone have a favourite CB?

Old 05-03-2017, 12:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Does anyone have a favourite CB?

considerong bearcat 980
Old 05-03-2017, 10:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 94, 01
Engine: I6

I would first say to anyone buying a CB that it is important to understand that it is a system:radio, antenna, cable. It is all tuneable and if not adjusted properly even the best equipment well have poor service. So I would ask where you ride: beach, hills, rocks, etc. this will tell you needed power, type of antenna, length of antenna cable. Many brands out are available at truck stops will need to be tuned before use and matching up SWR for best service.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: l6 4.0, K&N FIPK & 62mm bored TB

Originally Posted by CanaJeep
considerong bearcat 980
All time favorite (though it doesn't seem to be very popular among the Jeep crowd) - Cobra WX 75. Bought one maybe 10 years ago and as long as I can find one to buy, new or used, it's absolutely the only CB I will ever own. The whole thing is in the handset, no big unit to mount anywhere, and just a tiny box wherever you choose to mount it ... compact, discreet and powerful.
Old 05-04-2017, 01:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Just installed a heavily modded Galaxy 979F with a Sirio 2000-PL Antenna on a mag mount. This is not a setup for everyone or for terrain with lots of trees. But for a DD I can use it for more than just trail use and get farther out than a stock radio. Not using an amp but I went for the super loud and crystal clear output with a solid receiver. It's a more technical direction than just adding a big noisy linear amp.

For trail use, I will probably swap it out for an older radio on a 4' firestick with a spring mount. Only needs to be good for short distance but more importantly be durable in the trees.

A popular radio in my neck of the woods is the up and coming Anytone AT6666. That will get you the most bang (it's actually a lot of bang) for the buck. It's an import radio that will open up 10 meter CB by pressing a couple of buttons. No need to open it up and mess with wire and solder. Puts out a ton of power which is useful far from help if need be. It will also do some HAM bands so you can get your license and get into that too. Couple this radio with a 4' firestick and it would make a great all around setup.

Like Jacapo said, it's a system. By changing a few components, you can customize it to best suit your needs. Everything has a trade off though so you will compromise something for something else. Just have to figure out what you want.

Don't forget to check your SWR what ever you decide on.
Old 05-04-2017, 01:57 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

For CB I don't see the point in getting a super fancy unit. I have a Uniden 520XL that I got on ebay for $20 and it works just, transmits just as far as my friends with fancier units

Put the money into a VHF/UHF capable radio if you want long range
Old 05-04-2017, 04:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1985
Engine: 2.5L

I have a Realistic setting in my bedroom ready to put in when I finally get around to it. Will probably go with a Firestick antenna. Had this one in my Ranger back in about 1992 or so but it is still a good radio. I think I still have my old Audiovox I had in my Mustang in college back in 1986 stuck away in my closet back at my parent's house, that little radio was great for what it cost. Somewhere in my pile of stuff I think I still have an old 9 channel (possibly a Uniden) from back when there were only 23 channels.

I would like to go with a full 102" whip antenna, but those are not allowed on many trails for safety reasons, but they can have the best range if setup correctly.