Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you guys think this jeep cherokee is worth getting?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 08:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Do you guys think this jeep cherokee is worth getting?

I'm new here, BUT I have a few questions about a jeep that I was offered to trade for my car. I used to drive nothing but chevy trucks. My friend is a jeep guy. A few months ago I was stuck in a phase about needing better fuel economy because I was driving to school and work every day and I was spending too much in gas. I ended up selling my pickup and then buying a little 1995 pontiac sunfire gt with a 5 speed manual transmission.

I absolutely HATE the car. It's a huge piece of crap and I got f'ed over by the guy who sold it to me. If I were to fix every thing wrong with it, the car would basically be a money pit. It's probably worth 900 bucks as is right now.

There's a guy who has a 1989 jeep cherokee, 4.0 liter, automatic. It has around 240k on body and 130k on the rebuilt motor. It's on a 4 inch rough country suspension lift and 31 inch tires which will need to be replaced before summer. The front diff is a dana 35, and the rear diff is a dana 44 with a 239 t case. It's got a custom front bumper, and custom back bumper. He's replaced the fuel lines, fuel tank, brake lines, and brakes. It needs new control arms or they might be able to be repaired - the mechanic pushed the rubber bushing out, and broke the metal sleeves inside - they were going to use pipe to replace the sleeves but they never did and he just never bothered fixing it because it wasn't bad. He says the engine also smells like burning oil and that it burns a little because of a possible PCV valve. It also has an oil leak coming from the rear main seal. The interior is pretty clean along with the body, but I haven't checked out the frame. He has it at the shop right now because he sheared off a bolt on the steering box and it fell out... he claimed he was stuck hood deep when this happened. When I asked him if it drived straight he said it doesn't. I asked why and he said that it would need a wheel alignment to find out why. He said he was going to buy a 3 inch kit and lower it to 3 inches because the replacement parts are cheaper. He says he daily drives it on the freeway 50 miles a day, and that it has a shake at 45-50 but then smooths out.

Ironically, my friend who is into jeeps has a buddy who is a mechanic, and HE'S the one working on the guy's jeep at the shop fixing the steering box. My friend says his buddy says the jeep is worthless and that it's a piece of crap. That it doesn't drive straight, it needs control arms, and the tires need to be replaced. He also says I don't want it either way because it's going to be bad to use as a daily driver.

Do you guys think I should stay clear of this jeep? I wouldn't mind getting it and having a toy, but I do kinda need a daily driver right now as well.

Last edited by Tom5170; 01-18-2014 at 08:04 PM.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Run away from that turd! He told you about some of the problems, but you can be sure there are a ton more problems he is not telling you about.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:29 PM

Holy crap run fast!! Sounds like a rolling nightmare!
Old 01-18-2014, 09:16 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

I admire your desire to get a Cherokee. Keep looking lol
Old 01-18-2014, 09:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Drive what you have now, save your money, buy something hopefully a lot better later on.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:28 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by Tom5170

There's a guy who has a 1989 jeep cherokee, 4.0 liter, automatic. It has around 240k on body and 130k
130K on a rebuilt motor not good rebuilt don't last as long as OEM IMO

The front diff is a dana 35, and the rear diff is a dana 44 with a 239 t case.

None of this is possible lol. Most likely has
Dana 30 Front
Dana 35 Rear
and Tcase is either 231 or 242

It's got a custom front bumper, and custom back bumper
Cutsom dont mean strong.

He's replaced the fuel lines, fuel tank, brake lines, and brakes. It needs new control arms or they might be able to be repaired - the mechanic pushed the rubber bushing out, and broke the metal sleeves inside - they were going to use pipe to replace the sleeves but they never did and he just never bothered fixing it because it wasn't bad.
First problem is proly stock on 4inch lift not good other than that sounds shady lol

He says the engine also smells like burning oil and that it burns a little because of a possible PCV valve.
This is possible.

It also has an oil leak coming from the rear main seal.

Not always the case could just be valve cover at rear

He has it at the shop right now because he sheared off a bolt on the steering box and it fell out... he claimed he was stuck hood deep when this happened.
Durango box would be better. Common with XJs to break here

When I asked him if it drived straight he said it doesn't. I asked why and he said that it would need a wheel alignment to find out why. He said he was going to buy a 3 inch kit and lower it to 3 inches because the replacement parts are cheaper. He says he daily drives it on the freeway 50 miles a day, and that it has a shake at 45-50 but then smooths out.

Death wobble very common.

Ironically, my friend who is into jeeps has a buddy who is a mechanic, and HE'S the one working on the guy's jeep at the shop fixing the steering box. My friend says his buddy says the jeep is worthless and that it's a piece of crap. That it doesn't drive straight, it needs control arms, and the tires need to be replaced. He also says I don't want it either way because it's going to be bad to use as a daily driver.
With all u listed yes run away. There are plenty of jeeps to choose from and that one sounds ragged out
Old 01-18-2014, 09:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 88
Engine: 4.0

It don't seem that bad, need more info by breaking off the bolts for the gear box, has in pulled thru the unibody? Or boke off in the gear box? The wobble is prob from the tires worn, bushings gone, alighnment out, and prob worn steering components.
I bought mine for 600 stock with 240k and its been a daily driver, my girl bought one that was wrecked needed the unibody pulled in the front left side, for 500. And she drives it everywhere with no problems, but then again something wrong I fix it.
It just all depends on if you need it right now or can throw some money into it to fix it within a coupe day even a week. Or you look for something better but, as for gas mileage your not getting any better with a lifted box with wheels.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:41 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by hbracing13
It don't seem that bad, need more info by breaking off the bolts for the gear box, has in pulled thru the unibody? Or boke off in the gear box? The wobble is prob from the tires worn, bushings gone, alighnment out, and prob worn steering components. I bought mine for 600 stock with 240k and its been a daily driver, my girl bought one that was wrecked needed the unibody pulled in the front left side, for 500. And she drives it everywhere with no problems, but then again something wrong I fix it. It just all depends on if you need it right now or can throw some money into it to fix it within a coupe day even a week. Or you look for something better but, as for gas mileage your not getting any better with a lifted box with wheels.
You're not helping. It's a turd, don't try and polish it.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:43 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 88

Well yea I know you can only do some much and its still crap. Just giving my .02. Sometime you can get lucky on one sometimes you can't catch a break. Yet if I had to do it again id would of gotten something newer and nicer. But I wanted a jeep, like this last jeep I bought its a 98 2dr 5speed 79k 2wd for 2200 found some moab wheels and some tires for dirt cheap 200 for 5 for still less then asking price.

Last edited by hbracing13; 01-18-2014 at 09:48 PM.
Old 01-18-2014, 10:03 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

It's one thing to buy a good body for scrap price to beat on... this guy is planning on trading his daily driver for a hunk of junk. Definitely not in his best interest.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:38 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

This would be a good deal "IF" you wanted to build an off-road XJ or even a DD over time, depending on price an in "CHEAP". At best it is a project and should be considered as such or a parts XJ. If all your car is worth is less than $900 that XJ might part out for more than that driveline and body parts. The D44 is a very desirable part for sure to name just one. If it was close to me I would buy it for parts.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:41 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000

Just the fact that he wants to trade for a 95 pontiac sunfire should tell you something.
Old 01-19-2014, 03:02 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 L, Inline Six

HELL NO!!!
If I got it free I'd part it out
Old 01-19-2014, 03:10 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by carbuff
Just the fact that he wants to trade for a 95 pontiac sunfire should tell you something.
It just means he is a glutton for punishment.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

If it is cheap enough, you could always rebuild the suspension.

But chances are its overpriced because of the "upgrades" that you will need to redo. I would really suggest looking for a stock Cherokee and upgrade it as you see fit.

Quick Reply: Do you guys think this jeep cherokee is worth getting?