Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do not want to lift but I want to freshen up

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 07:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Do not want to lift but I want to freshen up

I want to go through my whole suspension system because I am sure that after 20 years that it is sagging by now. I haven't really been much of a suspension guy over the years, I've been more of a meat and taters guy as in Engines and Trans. So Can one or a couple of you guys give me a complete list of components I need to replace for a full replacement? Also I've heard a million different opinions and I'm sure I will here them here as well but I'm going to take a consensus of answers from what I get on this post to do more choosing, BUT!!!!! what are a great set of shocks to run on and off road?

Last edited by KY97XJ; 06-02-2016 at 07:05 AM.
Old 06-02-2016, 07:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1993

Bilstien 5100/5125 shocks
Old 06-02-2016, 10:33 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by kyle96xj
Bilstien 5100/5125 shocks

Agreed 100%

If it needs all new suspension why not do a small lift full leafs/coils pkg. and sell the cheap shocks that comes with all entry level lifts. A 2-3" lift better off road, more clearance price would be about the same and you could run a larger tire also for more traction and you would not need a lot of extra parts either if you went higher.
Old 06-02-2016, 11:19 AM

Why is everyone so Stuck on lifts? My biggest thing about lifts is it puts alot of stress on steering components, bushings, etc.... They make most vehicles ride like potatoe wagons.... I'm just not sure that's the direction I want to go..... Seems like it would also put stress on the pinion angles as well.... I want to be able to tow decently with mine..... I also don't want to take a huge amount of gas mileage away from its already not so great gas mileage..... You guys give me some feedback on all of these aspects..... Maybe even show me some pictures and give me some specs on what inch lifts what size tires....
Old 06-02-2016, 12:03 PM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee
Default Stock replacement

Rear end.
1) Leaf springs with bushings $200+-. Doorman brand, can get Heavy duty if you tow.
2) Pair of shackles $50, or just replace bushing if current shackle is still viable.
3) Set of replacement u-bolts

Front end.
1) Control arm set ($100 - 150), pair of upper arms and lower arms. Stock arms comes with bushings installed.
2) Coil springs $80. Moog brand
3) Trackbar bushing and rod end

Steering
1) Tie rod ends
2) steering stabilizer
Old 06-02-2016, 03:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

If you want to stay stock, do what SteveMongr is saying ^

Bilstein 5100's are a great shock absorber for all applications (on/off road). Bar Pin Eliminators help eliminate clunking from the bushings wallowing out as they age.

For steering up front, I would suggest the ZJ steering components. Identical to the XJ components except the tie-rod is solid metal instead of a hollow tube. Less flex and costs like $20 more than stock "XJ" replacement parts. Google for part numbers

Also do Ball Joints in the front, and U Joints all around (1 for each front axle-shaft, 2 for the rear driveshaft, and 3 u-joints + 1 double cardan joint for the front shaft) if they are worn out.
New wheel bearings front + rear made my jeep roll alot smoother as well.

A steering gear-box spacer helps eliminate flex from the steering box area.

Google will be your friend here. XJ Suspension is very well documented across the net (youtube videos, how-to guides, discussion threads, etc).
Old 06-02-2016, 07:03 PM

Oh I did plenty of research before I came to the forum for answers. The only problem with all the info and videos I was finding was that they weren't right to the point like you guys have been in this thread.

I'm not totally sure I don't want to lift my jeep, however I do know that lifting puts alot of stress on alot of components, Pinion angles are harsh etc....

Here is what I do know. I don't want to run any tire 12.50 wide that's just too much rubber on the ground and I just feel like it will zap the torque and power. I want to be able to tow. I want enough ground clearance that I don't Hi-Center when off road (My hunting and fishing expeditions put me in some pretty hairy situations). Finally I want a decent ride, I know its not going to be like floating on a cloud but I don't want to feel like I'm riding on a rigid frame motorcycle either.

Please feel free to let me know what you guys think would be the best route to take in this matter, Im a very open minded person.
Old 06-02-2016, 08:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by KY97XJ
Oh I did plenty of research before I came to the forum for answers. The only problem with all the info and videos I was finding was that they weren't right to the point like you guys have been in this thread.

I'm not totally sure I don't want to lift my jeep, however I do know that lifting puts alot of stress on alot of components, Pinion angles are harsh etc....

Here is what I do know. I don't want to run any tire 12.50 wide that's just too much rubber on the ground and I just feel like it will zap the torque and power. I want to be able to tow. I want enough ground clearance that I don't Hi-Center when off road (My hunting and fishing expeditions put me in some pretty hairy situations). Finally I want a decent ride, I know its not going to be like floating on a cloud but I don't want to feel like I'm riding on a rigid frame motorcycle either.

Please feel free to let me know what you guys think would be the best route to take in this matter, Im a very open minded person.
I'm not one for lifts either but my leafs are on their way out. I'm saving for a small 2 inch lift. With a lift that small, there's not too much extra wear and tear, you can tow just as good, and the jeep is a little more capable.
Old 06-02-2016, 08:53 PM
Banned

How much money do you want to spend?
Old 06-02-2016, 09:11 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 HO

Maybe you could buy replacement springs for the upcountry suspension?
You will gain 1 to 1.5" of lift over stock height, it was a factory option so all factory parts work well and aren't over stressed.
Also the leafs have a heavier weight capacity so they will aid in towing capacity....
Also other components can be stock or like previously mentioned, upgraded ZJ steering components.
Old 06-02-2016, 09:18 PM

Not exactly on a budget per say, also not in a hurry.

With that said I am not trying to put $5000 in to a suspension system.
Old 06-02-2016, 09:19 PM

I will definitely look in to that option on the upcountry.
Old 06-02-2016, 09:49 PM
Banned

Not exactly on a budget per say, also not in a hurry.

With that said I am not trying to put $5000 in to a suspension system.

OK........dont' really know where to go with that........

You want stock? just go to NAPA or some other retailer and buy stock parts, replace.

If you want to IMPROVE your Jeep, it will require a small lift of 2-3"

Start with OME 930 coils up front, double stack new isolaters, this will net you at least 2.5"

Choose a quality rear leaf, I suggest General Spring with JKS shackles.

5100s all around.

I like JKS adjustable TB, there are others.

Rebuild or have new DSs made.

I suggest adjustable control arms........choose your flavor.

One thing leads to another, not something you can piece meal.

All this 'stress' you speak of at 2-3" of lift is nonsense......just not so.
Old 06-02-2016, 09:50 PM

Can somebody check these out and see if these are the Moog version of the Upcountry Coils. I'm seeing alot of reviews saying they give an 1"-1.5" lift.

Moog CC782 Variable Rate Coil Spring
Old 06-02-2016, 09:53 PM
Banned

Can somebody check these out and see if these are the Moog version of the Upcountry Coils. I'm seeing alot of reviews saying they give an 1"-1.5" lift.

Moog CC782 Variable Rate Coil Spring

Moog is ****, pure ****.

Others will disagree.

I have them on one Jeep.......not again.