Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do the mods justify the price?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 09:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Do the mods justify the price?

Hey all-

I'm new to Jeep Cherokees and have been trying to get myself educated before taking a look at a 2000 4.0 5Spd 4x4 Sport that is for sale near me. I can read as much as I want, but I figure I may as well ask the opinion of some people who know more than I do.
$6000

2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport.
4x4. Great runner.
Manual transmission.
201,835mi.
It was a reliable, dependable daily driver for my wife for the last 3 years.

4.0 litre HO
K&N air filter and throttle body riser
Magnaflow exhaust
NV3550 manual transmission
NP231 transfer case w/SYE
Tom Woods double Cardan drive Shafts front&back.
Electronic locking front differential
"Lunchbox" locking rear differential
4:10 ratio gears
33" BFG All Terrains T/A BRAND NEW!
Crager Soft-8 steel 16" rims gloss black powder coat
4.5 inch lift springs front and back
Long arm front suspension kit
RC steering link upgrade
Steering gearbox brace
Rock sliders
Steel fuel cell skid plate
Differential armor plate front and back
Tow hitch receiver front and back
I can tell a lot of work went into the trucks, and the pictures are thorough and everything LOOKS great, obviously I'll need to inspect and test drive. My main question is:

$6000 is a TALL price for any Jeep of this era, as far as I can tell, and with the higher mileage (I know these engines are capable of more) I cant really be sure that these mods offset the price so much that it could be worth 6 grand.

Would love your opinions, thank you!

Kevin
Old 11-20-2016, 09:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990

One thing to be warned of is that the 2000-2001 4.0s are prone to having the head crack. Now that being said it is not a guarantee here is a real old thread with a poll on these heads and how often they crack.
The asking price is a bit high IMO but it depends on what YOUR willing to pay for it.
I'd probably check out what brand lift it is, but everything else seems pretty good.
Old 11-20-2016, 09:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999

Here's the thing. Those mods don't justify anything. Mods don't add value. In fact, it may decrease the value since it was customized for one person specifically. Anything that deals with maintenance is just that. Maintenance. A part fails and the owner pit a new one? Doesnt add any value. It just keeps the vehicle running and at its full value.

So after all that, just put the info into kelley blue book and that's what it old be worth more or less. Any mods done shouldn't be considered when negotiating. And 6k is high. Without looking I would say 2500 tops.
Old 11-20-2016, 09:42 PM

Year: 1996

Here is a link to the post in question:

http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/cto/5855483548.html

I see your point Martlor, I suppose I am considering them because I'd like to be able to do some offroading/crawling with it, but still use it as a daily driver. The mods outlined by the PO seem to be inline with what I'd want to do either way, so I have to consider that as part of my cost.

I work on old motorcycles a lot, so I know how tempting it is to include your blood, sweat and tears in an asking price. I hardly think the owner would even consider 2500.

PNWjeeper, that price isn't outside my range but I'd be happier sub-5000. I have been doing some reading on the head crack. Obviously it is a deal breaker/price reducer if the engine IS cracked, but is it generally good to just avoid those years since it COULD happen at some point? I'd definitely look for the casting numbers. Who knows? At 200k miles the head could have been replaced already!

Thanks again, everyone!
Old 11-20-2016, 09:49 PM
CF Veteran

If everything is good, no rust I wouldnt go higher then 3k now that I've seen pics. If you want to pay more that's all up to you. But there are plenty of xjs out there. Don't jump at this one without at least looking around. You could find a nice clean one, lower miles for a better price I assure you.
Old 11-21-2016, 12:06 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Engine: 4.5L Stroker

I wouldn't go over 3800 for that jeep. No enough there.
I'm guessing the long arm is rough country. It has stock bumpers . Banged up fender.

You can buy and build a similar jeep for less.

4.5 rubicon express coils $90
Old man EMU leafs. $268
Bilstien shocks $320
Rough Country LA $649+/- (better choices imo)
410 gears f/r $500 for gears and parts. Labor $600+/-
33 inch tires $900-1000
Cheap Steel rims $200
SYE $200
Just use a stock front driveshaft. Tom woods is nice but overkill. Never seen a stock shaft come apart on 33s $50-75
Lunchbox Locker for 8.25 is $320
Selectable lockers $700+.

So that's about $4900 on the high end in parts with only labor for the different install. Nice thing about building yourself is you can do all that as money allows and build it to your taste.

Like do you need long arms - $649 nothing wrong with short arms on a smaller lift. Do you need a Selectable Locker. Sure nice to have and probably the best option out there. But for your intended purpose is it needed. -$1000
Do you need Bilstien shocks? Hell yes they provide a great ride. Better than spending the money twice. And yes there is many other things not on the list. Extended brake limes. Track bar. Sway bar disco. Etc but that's kinda what I'm getting at.

Casee in point. If your not in love with the jeep and its not a must have, then buy stock and build. If you want something already built for your needs, write down your wants and see what fits.

Only mods done poorly or in poor taste detract from value. I don't get how someone can say mods don't add value. The right mods add value the right look adds value.

I bought this jeep for $600.
I put in $900 in MODS. Lift, shocks, rims, tires and a few tasteful mods. And sold it for $3500.

Mods add value. Mods on a jeep that are cheap, half assed, done to one's specific taste then used and abused do not.
Attached Thumbnails Do the mods justify the price?-301.jpeg  
Attached Images  

Last edited by MoparNJeep; 11-21-2016 at 12:18 AM.
Old 11-21-2016, 12:43 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Look for a 91-99 rust free and as virgin as you can find and afford.I wouldn't buy a modded jeep or let alone pay more because it has mods on it.Whos to say what sharp all the lift parts are in or are the bushings any good.What if it needs shocks or tires ?I rather find a clean stock jeep thats been taken care of and mod it how i want.This way its how i want it and i know everything was done right.Not buy something you really know nothing about and fixing any problems that pop up due for many reasons.
Old 11-21-2016, 02:50 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

I would keep looking. Here is an example something I believe to be a better deal and more in line with what I think the going rate should be:

http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/cto/5872450088.html
Old 11-21-2016, 05:32 AM
CF Veteran

This one is cheaper http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/cto/5874950606.html it has a little rust in the rockers but that can be a reason to do 2x6 rock slider rocker replacements.
Old 11-21-2016, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
This one is cheaper http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/cto/5874950606.html it has a little rust in the rockers but that can be a reason to do 2x6 rock slider rocker replacements.
thats a $1000 jeep right there. god knows how bad that rust is and how much more rust isn't shown..
Old 11-21-2016, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by kevin__jeep
Hey all-

I'm new to Jeep Cherokees and have been trying to get myself educated before taking a look at a 2000 4.0 5Spd 4x4 Sport that is for sale near me. I can read as much as I want, but I figure I may as well ask the opinion of some people who know more than I do.

I can tell a lot of work went into the trucks, and the pictures are thorough and everything LOOKS great, obviously I'll need to inspect and test drive. My main question is:

$6000 is a TALL price for any Jeep of this era, as far as I can tell, and with the higher mileage (I know these engines are capable of more) I cant really be sure that these mods offset the price so much that it could be worth 6 grand.

Would love your opinions, thank you!

Kevin

has some money into it thats for sure.. you aren't buying one and then putting all that suff on it for that money, especially if you have to pay to have the work done.. that being said i think 6k is too much.. i can see maybe $4000-$4500 if its really clean when you craw around it..
Old 11-21-2016, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by Ralph77
I would keep looking. Here is an example something I believe to be a better deal and more in line with what I think the going rate should be:

http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/cto/5872450088.html
ok so say ya negotiate that down to $2000.

then ya add:
K&N air filter and throttle body riser
Magnaflow exhaust
NV3550 manual transmission
NP231 transfer case w/SYE
Tom Woods double Cardan drive Shafts front&back.
Electronic locking front differential
"Lunchbox" locking rear differential
4:10 ratio gears
33" BFG All Terrains T/A BRAND NEW!
Crager Soft-8 steel 16" rims gloss black powder coat
4.5 inch lift springs front and back
Long arm front suspension kit
RC steering link upgrade
Steering gearbox brace
Rock sliders
Steel fuel cell skid plate
Differential armor plate front and back
Tow hitch receiver front and back

so now what are ya gonna have into that $2000 jeep?

while i agree that you never get what you put into one of these things you also can't ignore a bunch of those mods.. be a lot cheaper in the long run to buy one thats already has them all... would i pay 6k? most likely not but its worth more then a stock $2000 cherokee for sure.
Old 11-21-2016, 08:32 AM

Year: 1991

If you have 6k to buy a jeep buy a clean virgin for 3k and spend another 3k to build it to your liking. I wouldn't buy somebody else's project unless I got it at a very good price which is rare these days considering what these jeeps are going for and how hot they are selling at high prices. Sometimes you just have to pass on them. No xj is worth 6k unless it's a low mileage 97+ stocker and showroom clean with not a drop of leaks. My opinion.
Old 11-21-2016, 09:39 AM
CF Veteran

Mods don't add value. Spending $900 in mods does not add 2k to its value.

The guy that the op wants to by the jeep from us trying to get close to what he paid for the mods he did. That's crazy but you see it all the time. You have to look at it for what it is. An xj with 200k miles that's probably been abused judging by the mods added. There are still enough stockers left that you can pick one up and make it yours. Not get someone else's old project.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:10 AM
CF Veteran

Another thing is the quality of the parts used to mod the Jeep, what you can and can not see from looking. Receipts are required for all that has been done to it then research the quality of each one from the lockers/gears to the lift kit/shocks the same for armor.

Aftermarket bumpers cost a lot rear if it has spare tire carrier at least a $1K up and same can apply to the front for a good winch bumper $500 up.

The things to consider with these are that they can be all removed and used on another XJ and each of the ones I listed hold value very well.

I paid $1800 for my 99 XJ with a junk 3" lift and crappy shocks then started with removing what the PO had installed, first a new lift.