Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Bumper kit input

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 09:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default DIY Bumper kit input

Wanting to see if I could get some input on some DIY front bumper kits. I'm looking at the Dirtbound Offroad Mojave, and the JCR DIY kit. Im wanting a low profile receiver style bumper with D-ring mounts and unibody tie in mounts. I'd also like to try to keep the price in the $300 range. Do any of y'all have experience with either of these bumpers or companies? Anyone know of other DIY receiver type bumpers?
Old 05-05-2015, 10:35 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997

Check this out:
http://logansmetal4x4.com/jechxjnonwib.html

I have one of these; they're really well made and look good too. Fit the Jeep perfectly. And you can add the hitch receiver & shipping, still be under $300 (I think) and not have to weld it yourself. Jamie Logan is really nice to deal with.

EDIT: this bumper with hitch receiver is $282 shipped from Logans in Pennsylvania to Washington State. So it would be even cheaper to South Carolina.

Last edited by Jesus M; 05-05-2015 at 10:40 PM.
Old 05-06-2015, 12:11 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I wouldn't buy anything off logans metal a member just tired to buy a bumper and they lied about shipping dates and gave him the run around. If you want to talk to that member https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f59/do...207300/index3/
Old 05-06-2015, 08:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
I wouldn't buy anything off logans metal a member just tired to buy a bumper and they lied about shipping dates and gave him the run around. If you want to talk to that member https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f59/do...207300/index3/
I've bought three of their bumpers. Really nice products; stout construction, fit and finish are excellent and the price is right. It maybe didn't show up as quickly as I would have liked...but I didn't get all bent up about it. More than happy with all three purchases and get alot of compliments. Also, if you buy two bumpers you get 10% off the second.

EDIT: Just read the thread you posted and it seems there are now some problems with them. Too bad, I was planning to buy that same rear bumper with tire carrier as the poster in that thread.

Last edited by Jesus M; 05-06-2015 at 08:36 AM.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:38 AM
::CF Administrator::

Received 771 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Originally Posted by Jesus M
Check this out:
http://logansmetal4x4.com/jechxjnonwib.html

I have one of these; they're really well made and look good too. Fit the Jeep perfectly. And you can add the hitch receiver & shipping, still be under $300 (I think) and not have to weld it yourself. Jamie Logan is really nice to deal with.

EDIT: this bumper with hitch receiver is $282 shipped from Logans in Pennsylvania to Washington State. So it would be even cheaper to South Carolina.
There have been way too many complaints about their "service" for me to ever buy something from them, let alone recommend them. Glad you're happy, and that you're one of the lucky ones, but too hit and miss IMHO

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
Good looking out, andrew.

I've bought three of their bumpers. Really nice products; stout construction, fit and finish are excellent and the price is right. It maybe didn't show up as quickly as I would have liked...but I didn't get all bent up about it. More than happy with all three purchases and get alot of compliments. Also, if you buy two bumpers you get 10% off the second.
Again, glad you're one of the lucky few, but in all fairness, this was not the question the OP asked, he wants info on DIY kits, not complete bumpers. Let's try to keep the responses related to the original question, please.

That said...I personally have not had experience with either, as I make my own stuff, but I have never heard ill about either company's product. From what I've seen, people who have used them seem to like them both. I'm about to do some business with DBO, so I'll keep you posted on my experience with them, such as service, speed, etc...
Old 05-06-2015, 10:30 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998

Originally Posted by roninofako
There have been way too many complaints about their "service" for me to ever buy something from them, let alone recommend them. Glad you're happy, and that you're one of the lucky ones, but too hit and miss IMHO

Good looking out, andrew.

Again, glad you're one of the lucky few, but in all fairness, this was not the question the OP asked, he wants info on DIY kits, not complete bumpers. Let's try to keep the responses related to the original question, please.

That said...I personally have not had experience with either, as I make my own stuff, but I have never heard ill about either company's product. From what I've seen, people who have used them seem to like them both. I'm about to do some business with DBO, so I'll keep you posted on my experience with them, such as service, speed, etc...
Awesome! Let me know how DBO works out. I too looked into the Logan bumpers, but have heard too many horror stories about up to 6 mos. Delivery and poor communication. I'm looking at DIY kits because I have a nice welder and plenty of fab experience. I would make one custom but I don't have a plasma cutter, and by the time I purchase steel, and spend days cutting it with a grinder I'd rather just spend a few extra bucks and get a pre-cut kit and save a lot of time and headache. Thanks to all for the input. Keep it coming guys!
Old 05-06-2015, 12:24 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001

Logans bumper $250 with fairlead mount to my door from morris 4x4 next day delivery. With dirt bound grill gaurd.

Name:  ForumRunner_20150506_132248.png
Views: 3826
Size:  564.9 KB
Old 05-06-2015, 12:53 PM

Year: 1999

I have the jcr one...didn't put it on the jeep yet but it's ready for paint....the assembly and instructions are very easy to follow....the test fit went great and it's was fun to do....my only recomendation is be careful when you bend it....bend a little at a time because I did one peice too far and when I went to bend it back it broke off....easy to tack in place though.......I plan on getting the rear after the summer...I can't recall price but I know you have to get the tie ins seperate I got mine for 279 on sale and I thing the tie ins and steering spacer were 60 or 70
Old 05-06-2015, 01:16 PM
Banned

....but in all fairness, this was not the question the OP asked, he wants info on DIY kits, not complete bumpers. Let's try to keep the responses related to the original question, please.
The purpose of my response to the OP's original post (in case you missed it) was this: Why bother to DIY when you can get a really nice bumper for about the same price as a DIY kit. And quite possibly end up with a nicer end result.
Old 05-06-2015, 02:30 PM

The purpose of my response to the OP's original post (in case you missed it) was this: Why bother to DIY when you can get a really nice bumper for about the same price as a DIY kit. And quite possibly end up with a nicer end result.
Because some of us like to build as much of our own rig as possible. Some of us like to weld. Some of us like to be able to put our own personal touches on our rigs. And I know for a fact that anything I build is done right.
I didn't miss anything. I get where you're coming from. But that wasn't the question.

BTW OP...plasma cutter is next on my list of major tool purchases. LOL
Old 05-06-2015, 10:22 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 Inline Six

I bought a JCR DIY rear bumper and am happy with it, their customer service is great too. 1-2 weeks after it got delivered I got a phone call from a JCR employee asking if I had finished building mine, if I was happy with it, and if I needed any help with any of the processes of building it. Even after they had my money they still checked up on if I was happy with the product I received.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by DSALMON-629
I bought a JCR DIY rear bumper and am happy with it, their customer service is great too. 1-2 weeks after it got delivered I got a phone call from a JCR employee asking if I had finished building mine, if I was happy with it, and if I needed any help with any of the processes of building it. Even after they had my money they still checked up on if I was happy with the product I received.
+1 on customer service for JCR...that's awesome
Old 05-07-2015, 12:37 AM
Banned

Because some of us like to build as much of our own rig as possible. Some of us like to weld. Some of us like to be able to put our own personal touches on our rigs. And I know for a fact that anything I build is done right.
I didn't miss anything. I get where you're coming from. But that wasn't the question.

BTW OP...plasma cutter is next on my list of major tool purchases.
LOL
Fair enuf. You might want to check out Eastwood's plasma cutter. I bought it 2 yrs ago, bundled with their TIG welder, and I use it all the time. 40 amp unit slices 1/4" like hot butter. It's the cats **** for this sort of thing...

Oh ****...that was off topic. Sorry.
Old 05-07-2015, 01:34 AM

Fair enuf. You might want to check out Eastwood's plasma cutter. I bought it 2 yrs ago, bundled with their TIG welder, and I use it all the time. 40 amp unit slices 1/4" like hot butter. It's the cats **** for this sort of thing...
I'll be getting a Miller Spectrum when the time comes. I've used several different units, love the Miller. Pricey? Yes. But just like their welders, worth every penny. It will last you the rest of your life.

Oh ****...that was off topic. Sorry.
No need to get snippy.
Old 05-07-2015, 08:47 AM

Year: 1999

I haven't bought a bumper from DBO but I did buy some other stuff and they were great to deal with. I will continue to do business with them.

Quick Reply: DIY Bumper kit input