Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diesel Swap In California. Info Needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: '93
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.5L I4 (Mercedes Turbo Diesel planned)
Default Diesel Swap In California. Info Needed

Hey, guys, long time no see. Been working a new job driving trucks, so haven't really had time to do much Jeep stuff....Now that I've had a small break, I know what I wanna do. Since my little 4 banger is getting tired, I know something will need done soon. Hence the title here, DIESEL SWAP! Yep, I wanna put a little diesel under the hood, mainly for fuel economy, but also the "cool" factor.

What I'm looking at is a Mercedes OM617 Turbo, backed by an NV3550. Gonna replace both engine and trans since my AX5 wouldn't handle the (slightly) higher power. Numbers are pretty close, but torque is a little higher, maybe 20-30 ft lbs.

Won't be a problem finding parts, already got sources on that. Problem that I can easily see is frickin' California....Now, I want to move out if state, but my family doesn't, so....Yeah. If anyone has current info on what CA allows as far as going from gas to diesel, I'd really like to see it! The only things I've found so far are engine has to be same year as vehicle or newer, and all emissions equipment in place. Haven't found anything more....

Again, I'd really appreciate any info anyone May have! Thanks!
Old 03-10-2015, 09:24 AM

Bump Anyone?
Old 03-10-2015, 09:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I6

Look in the build section. I think there was a 617 swap going on. One diesel swap started with a diesel XJ just because of those issues.
Old 03-10-2015, 05:45 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 2.5 Tdi 4x4 all original

why not to consider a swap with the VM 2.5 Tdi? Here in old Europe it's very common and it's made for the Jeep...
My xj 99 runs this diesel engine and it's nothing bad, not much power (forget about power ) but torque it's ok to tow a big trailer.
But I don't know if it is easy to get this engine in the US...
Old 03-10-2015, 10:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Call the smog people its legal to swap to a diesel just you have to take it in for a inspection.
Old 03-11-2015, 11:42 AM

Andrew, are you saying it IS legal in California for a gas to diesel? I've heard many conflicting rumors one way or the other....Gonna put it a call to a smog ref if I can find one around my area
Old 03-11-2015, 02:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

You might try callng a CA smog shop,(or three!). It might be diesels in CA are exempt, but DMV isn't gonna just take your word for it. Might be a shop can give/file the necessary papers to verify it's diesel and exempt. DMV, bless their harts has only one number for like 200,000,000 of us. "your estimated wait time is 7 hrs". ******!
Old 03-11-2015, 04:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L HO

From what I have read a diesel swap in California for an XJ would be extremely expensive/difficult and you would be very limited in engine choices.

The engine being swapped in must be:
-the same model year or newer than the vehicle it is swapped into.
-that class of engine must have been available in that class of vehicle (i.e. you can't use a HD Truck engine in a car) in a "California-compliant" configuration.
-that the engine must have all of the original emissions equipment from the year it was produced (muffler/air cleaner/any smog accessories).

And then you still have to deal with a ton of "red-tape" to get it tested/certified.

So with a 93 XJ you would need an engine that is 93 or newer, available in a small/mid-sized SUV (if California classifies an XJ as a "station-wagon" you may be able to get away with a car engine), and retain all pollution controls the engine came with.

So an OM617 wouldn't be an option for your '93 since it is too old (discontinued in 1991). It many be possible to put an OM617 in an older XJ (as long as the XJ is the same year the engine was produced or older) if the California classifies an XJ as a "station-wagon" rather than an SUV (some states have different designations for cars and SUVs, some don't).
Old 03-14-2015, 08:41 AM

I DO believe my title states "station wagon" on it, I need to check....And if the 617 was used up until '91, I could trade jeeps with my brother for his 89

Oh, and what's a California compliant configuration? As far as engine/tranny, I'd the 617/NV3550 combo, or 617/AX15

Last edited by TwoXJS; 03-14-2015 at 08:45 AM.
Old 03-14-2015, 08:58 AM

Hang on, thought just came to mind....If it would be possible to use the 617 and all in my brothers 89 and get it registered and legal, would that mean it would be easier to do for my 93 since they now have a documented vehicle sporting the same motor?
Old 03-14-2015, 12:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L HO

Originally Posted by TwoXJS
Oh, and what's a California compliant configuration?
The "donor" engine was from a "California-emissions" vehicle (California has stricter emissions requirements than the Fed. Govt. for emissions, and some vehicles, especially diesels, weren't sold in California due to this). and has all the necessary "California emissions" parts intact

Originally Posted by TwoXJS
Hang on, thought just came to mind....If it would be possible to use the 617 and all in my brothers 89 and get it registered and legal, would that mean it would be easier to do for my 93 since they now have a documented vehicle sporting the same motor?

Not likely, California is very strict, even for then 89 the OM617 engine would have to be an 89,90, or 91, California explicitly states that the engine must be the same year as the vehicle it is going in or newer (this applies to all swaps, not just Diesel), even if there are no differences between an 87 and an 89, it would be illegal to use an 87 manufacture date engine in an 89 vehicle while an 89+ manufacture date of the same engine would be fine (assuming all the other requirements are met).

Likewise while it would be fine to use an 89-91 engine in an 89, using that same engine in a 93 model year version of the same vehicle would not be legal, for a 93 model year, the engine would need to be a 93 (actually late-92 since the "model" year starts before the calendar year) manufacture date or newer.

Emissions laws in general are stupid and draconian, and California is by far the worst when it comes to this (like just about any other laws in California, you couldn't pay me enough to live in that state).
Old 11-08-2016, 01:15 AM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0

I have a 91 xj that I am looking to do the same swap in. As far as I could tell, the regulations require the engine to be of the same year or newer. The smog testing only pertains to vehicles 98 or newer. I am looking to see if there is a diesel in 91-97 that ran strictly as a mechanical engine with no electronics for the fuel injectors, timing, etc.. I will let you know what I come up with and please do the same on your end. I am thinking the volkswagen jetta, or mercedes should fit the bill nicely. Sucks that we are willing to spend much to not deal with the California smog bull**** than probable we would have spent in the first place. The second reason I am looking into this is because 12-14 MPG........? WTF. If you do the math, you will pay yourself back in a few years, provided you drive enough. Either way, I think the diesel conversion would be a worthy conversion to chase. And yes..............I know..........."you don't drive a jeep and worry about gas mileage"..................Whatever. I think it would be nice to drive the entire length of the Mohave road from AZ to California I-15 on one tank of fuel and not have to worry about taking secondary fuel that you will have to camp with........
Old 11-09-2016, 05:46 AM
CF Veteran

http://www.mercedesdiesel4x4.com/
Old 11-09-2016, 05:48 AM
CF Veteran

Or if you can drive a stick http://www.cotybuilt.com/hardware.html
Old 11-09-2016, 07:17 AM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L 162,000

Or buy my '85 XJ factory diesel and swap in what every diesel engine you want or run it as is with the 2.1L diesel.
http://jeepm62superchargerkit.blogsp...kee-chief.html

Quick Reply: Diesel Swap In California. Info Needed