Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Detroit Trutrac?

Old 03-29-2012, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 - 4.0L MFI GAS OHV
Default Detroit Trutrac?

I have a '99 sport with a Chrysler 8.25 29 spline. Does anybody know if I have a stock tracloc? The tires spin opposite, but I'm thinkin the clutch plates are worn. Also, I'm thinkin about a getting a trutrac but I also have my eye on these luchbox lockers. Of course I still need to pop the cover off and see if I have an open carrier or not but I was wondering if anybody had any real life, long term experience with these things. I'm building my rig for trails and mild wheeling, I will mostly be using it for DD so I wonder is one of these powertrax is all I need, Hmmmm.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:52 PM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by XDeadmeatX
I have a '99 sport with a Chrysler 8.25 29 spline. Does anybody know if I have a stock tracloc? The tires spin opposite, but I'm thinkin the clutch plates are worn. Also, I'm thinkin about a getting a trutrac but I also have my eye on these luchbox lockers. Of course I still need to pop the cover off and see if I have an open carrier or not but I was wondering if anybody had any real life, long term experience with these things. I'm building my rig for trails and mild wheeling, I will mostly be using it for DD so I wonder is one of these powertrax is all I need, Hmmmm.
Powertrax are awesome. I have yet to see a stock posi XJ but I know they're out there. Posis in XJs is like Eskimos with freezers... just useless. Get a locker and be done with it. Most posis will cost more than a powertrax anyways
Old 03-29-2012, 05:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: Renix 4.0

Pull the rubber plug out and stick your finger in the hole. You will be feeling the edge of the carrier. If it is rounded off towards the passenger side it's open. If it's level across then you have a trac lock.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:44 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by austinjoe13
Pull the rubber plug out and stick your finger in the hole. You will be feeling the edge of the carrier. If it is rounded off towards the passenger side it's open. If it's level across then you have a trac lock.
Never thought of that....all the damn times I have laid on my back at the junkyard trying to see in there.