Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

death wobble after ~3" lift

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.5 gasoline
Default death wobble after ~3" lift

I pieced together a lift last week. I used rusty's hd 3" coils with rough country aal. Everything else stayed stock including shocks and track bar. My jeep drives fine under 50mph but around 55 or higher when I hit a bump I start to get terrible death wobble. I was wondering if it is most likely because of the track bar or slightly worn steering links. I was also wondering if the shocks could be the culprit. My front shocks are very worn and still stock. I plan on checking my wheel bearings in a week.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:05 PM

Also I still haven't done an alignment but I should only have to change the adjustment on the drag link most likely. Could that cause it?
Old 05-09-2014, 12:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

You really need to do research before just piecing together a lift. Buy proper length shocks. Get the proper length track bar. You also have to get a full alignment not just the drag link. And check all the ball joints and TREs.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:16 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

Everything you've mentioned so far contributes to death wobble
Old 05-09-2014, 01:38 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

D) All of the above.

You really shouldn't be driving it with blown shocks, blown TRE's, No alignment, Bad track bar, questionable bearings, etc...
Old 05-09-2014, 01:46 PM

Thanks salad. I would've already done it all but I ran out of time in the shop before my vacation. I'm an ase certified tech, but these steering systems are a little outdated and mine is the only one I've had to work on.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:56 PM
CF Veteran

When I did my lift(just springs and shocks) I got the wobbles after, it was caused by being out of alignment which led to F'd up wear and impossible to balance tires. Once I did the alignment, and got new tires I cruise smooth AF
Old 05-09-2014, 01:59 PM

Wow calm down now. I don't have "blown" tie rod ends. They seem a little loose but they aren't bad in the normal sense of the word. Bad shocks don't really matter usually. The only issue is that they haven't been replaced with shocks that fit my lift exactly, but supposedly with an aal and hd coils the shock length doesn't really need to change on cherokees. I'll measure and fix that next week anyways. My ball joints are in great shape and my bearings should be fine but I haven't pulled them out yet and checked and greased them and I bought the cherokee with high mileage. Not to mention many people I know drive around with the stock track bar after they lift. Cherokees just have bad steering design, so they're more sensitive than other stuff apparently so I'm just questioning everything.
Old 05-09-2014, 02:06 PM

Sounds good purpletoxin. I'm gonna start with the alignment. If it fixes the problem then that's awesome. I'll do shocks within a week and check my bearings. I plan on upgrading from my cheap Goodyear wrangler 235 75 15's to some 31x10.50's in the near future.
Old 05-09-2014, 02:53 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by BenS
Sounds good purpletoxin. I'm gonna start with the alignment. If it fixes the problem then that's awesome. I'll do shocks within a week and check my bearings. I plan on upgrading from my cheap Goodyear wrangler 235 75 15's to some 31x10.50's in the near future.
All my steering is stock, TB, CA's, everything, but 3'' is like that threshold for stock components. Look into the JK rubicon shocks, they fit XJs with around 3".
Old 05-09-2014, 03:41 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Cherokees just have bad steering design, so they're more sensitive than other stuff apparently so I'm just questioning everything.
Um, no. The steering design is just fine, but when you go modifying your suspension, and admittedly have "loose" TRE's, and your bearings "SHOULD be fine", and "everyone else uses the stock track bar after they lift", doesn't make it right. The steering isn't sensitive as you say, but when you go changing things, you can make it sensitive. You should also do an alignment WHENEVER you change something in the steering or suspension, and "seems a little loose" here doesn't cut it. Do it properly, and you'll be amazed at the results...
Old 05-09-2014, 03:46 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

Wow calm down now. I don't have "blown" tie rod ends. They seem a little loose but they aren't bad in the normal sense of the word. Bad shocks don't really matter usually. The only issue is that they haven't been replaced with shocks that fit my lift exactly, but supposedly with an aal and hd coils the shock length doesn't really need to change on cherokees. I'll measure and fix that next week anyways. My ball joints are in great shape and my bearings should be fine but I haven't pulled them out yet and checked and greased them and I bought the cherokee with high mileage. Not to mention many people I know drive around with the stock track bar after they lift. Cherokees just have bad steering design, so they're more sensitive than other stuff apparently so I'm just questioning everything.
Once you lift more than stock, you need longer shocks. You ca either do BPEs for a 2" lift but at 3" you're maxing them out. And the xj seeing design isn't perfect but its far from bad. Like i said, just do some research and you'll see what needs to be corrected on it
Old 05-09-2014, 10:21 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

supposedly with an aal and hd coils the shock length doesn't really need to change on cherokees.
Did this come from a Magic 8 Ball or something? "Outlook not so good" Why in the hell would you think that the method in which height is added makes a difference to how far the shocks travel? That's like saying if a woman weighs the same as a bunch of ducks, which float like gravy and very small rocks, she must be a witch and thus burned.

Something tells me (aside from the RC AAL) that very very little thought went into this lift. I recommend doing a lot of reading on how XJ suspension and Jeep Quadralink steering works.

For reference this design was made by Jeep into 2006, then modified very slightly for 2007. It's about as "outdated" as using rubber for tires.

Last edited by salad; 05-09-2014 at 10:25 PM.
Old 05-10-2014, 05:34 AM

lol, C'mon man. You just got out of your mouth that you're an ASE certified tech...

It appears that people have hit the high points of this post but I'd like to add this:

When you're done greasing your bearings please post a write-up on how you did it.

The moral of this story is that DW could be caused by a lot of different things. Being an ASE tech, I'm sure you know that. The fact that you listed about 6 things wrong with your Jeep that can cause DW in your first post raises a flag. Repair your clapped out steering system and you should be good to go. That shouldn't take an ASE tech very long at all.
Old 05-10-2014, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by salad
Did this come from a Magic 8 Ball or something? "Outlook not so good" Why in the hell would you think that the method in which height is added makes a difference to how far the shocks travel? That's like saying if a woman weighs the same as a bunch of ducks, which float like gravy and very small rocks, she must be a witch and thus burned.

For reference this design was made by Jeep into 2006, then modified very slightly for 2007. It's about as "outdated" as using rubber for tires.
This post made me laugh.

Quick Reply: death wobble after ~3" lift