Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Death wobble

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 12:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Death wobble

Hi guys and gals, I just picked up my 01 xj over the weekend. I have a 6" lift with 35's and tonight on the way home I hit a bump and had my first run in with the death wobbles. I had a JK a few years ago with a similar setup and never had this issue. Is this common with the XJ ? And what are some things I need to look at to prevent this from reoccurring ? My wife was following me and freaked out and is terrified to ride in it or let the kids ride in it after seeing the wobble. I purchased this instead of an adventure bike to have a play toy I could take the wife and kids out on the weekends to trail ride and camp.
Old 05-31-2017, 12:18 AM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Jack it up and check out the front end for loose/worn parts. Otherwise anything I could say is a shot in the dark .
Old 05-31-2017, 09:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I usually start by having someone turn the wheel back and forth while I watch & grab different parts like the trackbar, steering, control arms etc. Then if nothing eye up the alignment, then maybe jack it up and check for play in the ball joints by prying the wheel up and down. It will either be really obvious or a real pain to figure it out.