Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead Headlight Switch!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 11:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Dead Headlight Switch!!!

That switch finally died, ya know that lovely little **** you pull and push for your headlights? Well it has been giving me some crap, it finally decided to quit. So it feels like when you pull it back it just is a loose stick. I can still turn it to the left to turn on the dome light. but no headlights. I can obviously pay the cash to get a new one. As a broke college student I am not inclined to do this however.

So who has any sweet ideas on what I could do to get around this? I have a switch that I mounted to my dash that is currently doing nothing. one is for the electric fan so i figure hey, Why not just have the lights go on a switch?

Looking into it now but I figured you guys would have some curious thoughts, suggestions, and general nonsense.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:50 AM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 l6

this might b dumb but i thought mine had died a while back and i flicked the hi beams on lights came on i turned them back to the lows and they started working by the reg pull **** again idk if i got lucky but im sure u already tryed this?
Old 04-29-2012, 04:32 AM

Default Correct me if I am wrong

Yeah so I have been tinkering around after a fair amount of reserach and I dug up a little bit of info.

First off I pulled the **** right out after trying to get it to catch on whatever it is that flips the switches that lie inside. So that is a large enough indicator for me that it truly is the switch and not some of the wires. So this is where the proverbial rabbit hole has started...

I was looking around on the web and I came across this link for a CJ wiring setup:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/he...wiring-885160/

I figured that had to be highly representative of what was in my XJ despite the differences in the age of the vehicle. So I thought back to some different links I stumbled upon when looking into what it takes to get some auxiliary lights.

http://www.humanspeakers.com/audi/headlight-simple.htm

So my general thoughts at this point...

I already have those switches in my dash. I could just find the relays that are already in my jeep. Updating that wiring system is another discussion in itself but I would just wire in the lights as diagrammed at the above link. A bit of work but I feel that its well worth it for sheer joy of having my lights run off of switches in the dash rather than that stupid ****. Depending on the other lights that I want to wire in I could make one switch that would turn the lights on into a "daily driver" mode: IE its 1 AM and I want McDonalds. Then I could also have subsequent switches for any specifics i may want. Just the headlights. Heck I could even get it set up now for adding in auxiliary reverse lights that use the stock reverse light. I am going to have to wait until Tuesday to work on anything but plans are being formed! hahaha
Old 04-29-2012, 05:37 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

do your self a favor just get the switch new there arouund 25.00 do it right ....less chance of having a insurance claim from the fire...