Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DD... which lift? (i know i know)

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default DD... which lift? (i know i know)

Hey guys! Be gentle. I'm a car guy but bought a 99 Sport last year to daily in the winter months while my car(370z) is tucked away. I love driving the Xj. I drive it on rainy days and usually from November through March'ish and other random occasions when we need to haul something or just because I feel like driving it.

The Jeep has 207k on it and 100% OEM shocks and springs. I got lucky and found a solid one without rust underneath but it's time to upgrade the suspension. I've read thread after thread after thread and I'm completely torn on what to purchase. And, I'm tired of bothering my only buddy that is a Jeep nut... I'm sure he's sick of it too haha

He suggested that I buy an Iron Rock 3" AAL (mine are barely sagging if at all somehow), buy a used pair of 3" lift coil for the front from him for $50, and then a set of Bilsteins. But, I feel like that might not be enough and I will still have to piece together more things such as a tranfer case drop, lower control arms, etc. **He said that since my leafs arent sagging badly and already broken in, a AAL would ride better than buying a new leaf pack?**

So, I'm also considering the RC 3" lift with AAL and not using their shocks? But then I'm also looking at RE 3.5 Super-ride kit and adding Bilstiens or some other recommended shocks?

Really, I'm clueless on what to buy...

1. I dont, well, I havent wheeled. I doubt I will do anything beyond simple trails, going camping, etc. Nothing major.

2. I use it to commute 30 miles round trip daily in the winter months.

3. Why am I doing this? Looks and maybe a little added ability. I want to run at least a 30 tire but would prefer a 31. Plus it's time to replace the shocks anyhow.

Also, my current wheels are 15x8 3.75 backspacing with 235/75/15 wranglers... they need replaced so time to upgrade. Looking for a cheap* but aggressive looking tire that is capable enough and not deafening on the highway (my commute is primarily interstate after I get through the hills/steep valleys near my neighborhood)

Trying to keep this budget friendly... Under a grand would be ideal for tire and lift.

Thank you all in advance for not being too harsh.. like I've said, I have read about 100 posts and I'm still lost on what to do. I can lower down a car, replace all the suspension, but when it comes to 4wd and lifting... not a clue.

this is the candidate. I pulled the door trim because it was starting to pull away so replacing the tape. I also need front fender brackets, I cant find them anywhere not broken! I attached them with an emblem adhesive but would rather do it right.

Name:  jeepside.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  88.3 KB

Thanks
Brandon

Last edited by BrandonSS; 10-07-2013 at 12:36 PM.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:40 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000

You could do a budget 2", or a nice 3" setup.
To keep the cost down i would run 31" tires to avoid gearing.
I would stay away from AAL because the ride quality.
If your rear springs are fine just get shackle relocation brackets and some extended shackles.
For the front get his springs.
Upgrade your control arms, adjustable if possible, check the for sale section for a good deal.
Read about shims for the rear leafs, to avoid t-case drop.
Budget brake lines and you're set.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:48 PM

Thanks for the reply! For looks, I'm stuck on a 3-4" lift. It just looks better, so whatever I need to get is what I'm after. I'm all for buying a complete kit to not have to run to the store or wait on things to be delivered. I just dont know which kit to get?

So AAL rides worse than new packs? Can shackle and relocation brackets reach a 3-4" lift? Again I know nothing about this stuff.

My wife might take this for errands on bad weather days so I want the ride to not be horribly rough.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spot on. Keep it 3" or under. Over 3 and you have to start changing a lot.

I also use angle shims rather than transfer drops

I would get springs that fit right rather than relocation brackets.

Last edited by holycaveman; 10-07-2013 at 12:51 PM.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:56 PM

Understood. Is there a negative to doing a transfer drop?

I was considering this - http://www.4wheelparts.com/Lift-Kits...pn=R%2fERE6025

I've seen a lot of installed pictures and read a member that installed that plus a transfer drop and it was a perfect DD though slightly rough ride... perfect ride height IMO.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Outside of loss of ground clearance, no.

And if you go a full three then you really need a adjustable track bar or a relocation bracket.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:23 PM

You most likely won't need at tcase drop
Old 10-07-2013, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by exjay1027
You most likely won't need at tcase drop
With which?

And IF I went with a full kit I've seen mixed reviews on basically everything. From a cost point it seems that RC is a lot cheaper than RE. I feel like no matter what I buy is a gamble.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by BrandonSS
With which?

And IF I went with a full kit I've seen mixed reviews on basically everything. From a cost point it seems that RC is a lot cheaper than RE. I feel like no matter what I buy is a gamble.
with any lift at about 3". you get quality with RE. some Rc stuff might not be so bad but their springs and shocks suck. if you want to lift it once and right spend the dough. However re stuff is gonna sit higher than advertised so you might get vibes. personally for any low lift I say go old man emu.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:41 PM

and I have no experience with it but everyone here seems to recommend zone over Rc for a cheap kift