Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

daily driving a welded rear ended.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 08:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999.
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0, I6
Default daily driving a welded rear ended.

so i picked up a new set of axles this weekend and the rear end has welded spider gears. this is my DD i dont wanna havta take out the carrier which the spiders are welded to bc that will require me to basically regear the rear end again. so my question is, is there another way of getting the welded spiders free from the carrier? also how does a welded rear end run for a DD? turning? U turns? highway speeds? snow? any type of advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:33 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

i have no idea but im guessing its like running in 4 lo on dry pavement
Old 08-19-2012, 08:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992
Engine: I6

I drove my 4 runner for almost 2 years with the rear end welded in Minnesota. half the year was in snow and other half mix of dry and wet.. you will go through tires FAST i mean faster than you would think I was super surprised. you will also get some looks from your tires making noise when cornering. It will stress your axle as the tortional loads placed on the shafts but its the same stress as any other locker on/off road other than that i Prefer to have a locked rear end than an open or ratchet locker. Its predictable and you know exactly how it will react in situations. Now if you dont have the skill or experience to drive a vehicle with a locked rear end it can be dangerous with that being said that same danger applies to ratchet lockers and LSD the rear end will want to slide in low traction situations. as far as geting the spiders out without pulling the carrier it depends on how the person welded em. you might get lucky but without pulling the cover and taking a look you will never know. Its not gonna have ill effects on the rest of your drive train and its not like running in 4WD like said above.

Last edited by The_ocho; 08-19-2012 at 08:41 PM.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:46 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 inline 6

i had a 240sx with a welded dif for drifting, it was fine on the road but chews your tires up alot, mine would hop while turning and when it would rain would kick out my rear end super easily. Which is hella fun but its all depending on what you want. if need be just buy a new pumpkin
Old 08-19-2012, 09:34 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by The_ocho
I drove my 4 runner for almost 2 years with the rear end welded in Minnesota. half the year was in snow and other half mix of dry and wet.. you will go through tires FAST i mean faster than you would think I was super surprised. you will also get some looks from your tires making noise when cornering. It will stress your axle as the tortional loads placed on the shafts but its the same stress as any other locker on/off road other than that i Prefer to have a locked rear end than an open or ratchet locker. Its predictable and you know exactly how it will react in situations. Now if you dont have the skill or experience to drive a vehicle with a locked rear end it can be dangerous with that being said that same danger applies to ratchet lockers and LSD the rear end will want to slide in low traction situations. as far as geting the spiders out without pulling the carrier it depends on how the person welded em. you might get lucky but without pulling the cover and taking a look you will never know. Its not gonna have ill effects on the rest of your drive train and its not like running in 4WD like said above.
How about highway driving? But besides that excellent info!! Thanks.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:00 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: I6

Originally Posted by clayton3854
How about highway driving? But besides that excellent info!! Thanks.
Highway driving is fine. on a dry road its no different than driving with any other diff. on a snowy road you shouldnt be going that fast anyway but you learn how to keep traction. putting your foot in it too much or letting off too fast will both break the rear end loose faster than it would with an open diff. You will mostly notice it with low speed stuff when turning sharp(into spots or U turns 90 degree turns or what not) or starting from a stop the rear end will want to walk if you are on a slanted road it will slide down hill. I drove 40 miles one way to work every day without a problem. Just keep in mind that the rear end is locked when you drive and you will get used to it. you will learn real quick when you shouldnt be getting on it in low traction situations. Like I said before its a lot more Predictable. Im sure you have been in situations in the before when your open diff randomly decided to break both wheels loose and swing out from under you. with the locked rear end you will learn how it will act and its not gonna change its always gonna act the same. It helps you learn where the limits of your rigs traction are
Old 08-19-2012, 10:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Tires wear quicker, but its predictible, and if the shafts are strong enough, safe. Like other mods it will take a little getting used to, but its fine on a street driven rig. Wether or not you can get the spiders out of the carrier will depend on how good of a job the welder did. Always weld the spiders straight to the carrier if you want it to last. A new carrier only requires resetting the carrier bearing preload and backlash. Very easy to do if you know how to measure.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:29 PM

Don't let any one talk you into buying new gears I drive all year round with my rear end welded its not that bad.. Just get used to taking a little wider corners and just swap your tires around more often so they don't get worn in the rear and not the front I had supper swampers and it wasn't a big deal..
Old 08-19-2012, 10:50 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0L HO

I wouldnt DD a welded rear. Its not at all like driving in 4LO, you can still turn the steering wheel easily. I havent drove mine enough on road to know about tire wear, but it really sucks in parking lots and areas where you have to really crank the steering wheel...you will bark the tires until you get strait, its a huge nuisance, forget about trying to be anywhere close to stealth. I've had *******es comment on my "burnouts", then I have to explain the welded differential for offroad traction concept. On the highway though, its not a problem at all.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:26 AM

Year: 1988
Engine: renix inline 6

my rear is welded and it ist much different then a open diff. it does chew up your tires and when turning they bark, in the snow try not to turn that much, you will slide all over the road
Old 08-20-2012, 08:13 AM
Seasoned Member

i ran a welded 8.25 for a few months; didnt really mind it. it was nice offroad cuz you never had to wonder if it was working. with highway driving you'll forget its even there; when making low speed turns the tires will skip & chirp a little. it was still quieter than my aussie lol
Old 08-20-2012, 08:31 AM
CF Veteran

Ok, thanks for all the info guys, I'm running An Aussie up front so I know what to expect when it comes to tight turns n the noises those turns make. As long as its safe that's my biggest issue bc if I don't like it I can always save for another rear end.

Last edited by clayton3854; 09-08-2012 at 12:02 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:33 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by ktmracer419
Tires wear quicker, but its predictible, and if the shafts are strong enough, safe. Like other mods it will take a little getting used to, but its fine on a street driven rig. Wether or not you can get the spiders out of the carrier will depend on how good of a job the welder did. Always weld the spiders straight to the carrier if you want it to last. A new carrier only requires resetting the carrier bearing preload and backlash. Very easy to do if you know how to measure.
I will be running my stock shafts for the time being, but the axles are regeared to 4.56. I will be running 35s does tire size have any impact on any of this?
Old 08-20-2012, 11:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Depends on the axle. Id run a welded 29 spline 8.25 or 30 spline 44 welded (in fact i have on 33s and 35s) a dana35 or 27 spline 8.25 id ditch the axle altogether.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:37 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by ktmracer419
Depends on the axle. Id run a welded 29 spline 8.25 or 30 spline 44 welded (in fact i have on 33s and 35s) a dana35 or 27 spline 8.25 id ditch the axle altogether.
It's a 8.25 29 spline high pinion rear end. Rocking 35s. Stock axle shafts. Will upgrade those in time tho.

Quick Reply: daily driving a welded rear ended.