Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Fuel Cell

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Custom Fuel Cell

OK, so looking to ditch the extra fuel cans and fabricate a larger gas tank. Any ideas, advice, warnings, etc. Looking to bump up to 25-30 gal.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: '99 and '91

There's this:

http://www.genright.com/ProductInfo....ductid=GST3003

Pricey though.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:40 PM

Oh Lord, no! I looked at that and I nearly crapped my pants at the $. Really I can do something in the 200-250 range to build it, just wondering about stuff like what type of metal to use, maybe upgrade a better fuel pump if it's a good idea, what to watch out for. Or if maybe there's a build thread someone can point out to me, it'd be a real help.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Engine: 4.0, bolt ons for days...

buy two 5 gallon gas cans.

youre welcome.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:07 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Airborne_Jeep
Oh Lord, no! I looked at that and I nearly crapped my pants at the $. Really I can do something in the 200-250 range to build it, just wondering about stuff like what type of metal to use, maybe upgrade a better fuel pump if it's a good idea, what to watch out for. Or if maybe there's a build thread someone can point out to me, it'd be a real help.
Do you know how to TIG weld? Most of the metal tanks I've seen are TIG welded. Could be wrong. Either way, it won't be super easy to weld up a gas tank. Don't want any leaks. Do you have a way to make blown injection molded plastic crap? Lol. Seriously about the only two ways I'd know to make a gas tank.

Anyways, you could try adapting an aftermarket fuel tank, or other vehicles oem tank in the XJ. You'd probably have to cut up your floor. Lose some cargo space or sacrifice some clearence underneath.

I'd just carry some extra gas. You could invest that $200 into a rotopax setup. It could be nice, compact and outta the way.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by 93XJLI
buy two 5 gallon gas cans.

youre welcome.
HMMM, well, since the thread was about not using fuel cans, I'll leave this one alone . . .

I love the Rotopax cans, just hate having to take up valuable cargo space, and don't have a roof rack yet. Their low profile is a real help, considering I'm considering having to add them to a mount on the rear bumper. It just sucks, being used to an old Suburban, I could carry everything AND the kitchen sink back there, AND had a 40 gallon tank.

Maybe, what if i dropped the factory one, split it in half and 'extended' it some how. Ever heard of anyone doing that? I have a cousin that can weld anything, including cast iron, so a couple of days and he shows me a few tricks, might have something worth showing off. Any idea problems I might hit with the factory fuel pump?
Old 08-08-2013, 02:16 PM
CF Veteran

Well I don't know about your tank, the one on my 99 is plastic, I'm not sure about my 91. So that may limit your options for modifying a stock one.

If you could "extend" a stock one, I'd say you're better off bringing it up into the cargo area. The factory one sits low enough as it is. Then you're back to losing cargo space.

You may just have to accept the fact it's not a burb. Lol. Bring less stuff so you can fit your gas, or get a roof rack so you can bring more stuff AND your gas.