Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Creeky/Squeaky Lift....Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 04:22 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Creeky/Squeaky Lift....Help

I am running the RC 4.5 xseries lift kit which up til this point I have had no problems with what so ever. Well i took it mudding last weekend...cleaned everything very well...and noticed the next day it was creeking a lot. So I climbed under it and greased all the fittings (uppers/lowers/balljoints/TREs etc). I still have a horrible squeak/creeking sound in the front. I think its something to do with the springs because it makes the noise when I leave a red light, or when I turn.

Has anyone else had this problem...or atleast know what it could be and a solution to it. Its driving me nuts.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Spray some blaster on the coil seats, see if the creaking stops?
Old 07-27-2011, 04:26 PM
Seasoned Member

you always have a solution to my problems hahaha. Ill try that. would silcon spray be better you think?
Old 07-27-2011, 04:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Go with something that will get washed away quick. That way residue isn't left behind.

I don't know if you want really greasy coils, but the spray should quiet down the noise if its in that area.

You may just have sand or some tiny pebbles wedged between the coil and seat.

I'm just trying to help isolate the noise for you.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:36 PM
Seasoned Member

Well that didnt help...anyone else have an idea of what it could be? I really feel like its something with the springs. Its driving me crazy. Cant even hit a pebble in the road without it making a loud creeking noise.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:03 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: The venerable 4.0

Did you lubricate all the rubber or poly?
Old 07-28-2011, 04:23 AM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

I'm running the RC 6.5 kit and mine is doin the same thing. It's driving me crazy! I've tried everything and can't get it to stop. I thought it was the coils at first but I'm starting to think it's the CAs. I do t what I can to grease the bushings but they are hard as heck to get to. I've even got a needle and put grease in the rubber bushings. I can't figure it out. Hopefully somebody will.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Default squeaky lifts

ok here it goes for yall to help you out. alot of times yes greasing will always help, but also over greasing is just as bad as not greaing. you can cause the baljoint to blowout, or on somethings the seals to blowout. a good thing to do is use whats called Antisess, apply to the bushings/bolts. it will help it from forming rust from playing in the mud and elements over time. it's made to last through about anything, heat, mud,etc. make sure to bolts are not over torqd. yes spraying the coils will help but overtime it wears away. just incase always have a spare set of bushings in your garage just incase, you can always upgrade to polyurathan bushings to which are great. always lub your jeeps after cleaning just incase, but not to over lub them. hopes this helps you
Old 07-28-2011, 06:47 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1991
Engine: 2001 4.0L

try spraying some lithium grease on your track bars hiem joint if its a pop/creaking noise.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:02 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by hudfabxj
try spraying some lithium grease on your track bars hiem joint if its a pop/creaking noise.

Checked the trac bar. This noise sounds like an old door in a haunted movie.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:10 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by SuperXJ2000
ok here it goes for yall to help you out. alot of times yes greasing will always help, but also over greasing is just as bad as not greaing. you can cause the baljoint to blowout, or on somethings the seals to blowout. a good thing to do is use whats called Antisess, apply to the bushings/bolts. it will help it from forming rust from playing in the mud and elements over time. it's made to last through about anything, heat, mud,etc. make sure to bolts are not over torqd. yes spraying the coils will help but overtime it wears away. just incase always have a spare set of bushings in your garage just incase, you can always upgrade to polyurathan bushings to which are great. always lub your jeeps after cleaning just incase, but not to over lub them. hopes this helps you
I know mine are not over greased...yet haha. On the xseries lift the control arms are adjustable and look like this...

When you grease the fitting it is internal. There is no bushing around it to sqeak.

Do you think it would be ok to spray the outside of everything with lithium grease?