Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crazy headliner idea

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 02:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Crazy headliner idea

So the headliner in the 95 XJ my daughter and I are building is trashed. The simplest solution would be to just slide in a good headliner from the doner XJ, but we had a crazy thought: wood grain. A couple ways to go about this:

Home Depot has vinyl flooring slats that seem to be the perfect size. They're 48" wide, which is perfect for pressing against the sides as it arcs up. They interlock together, and when they're arced like that the hold together great.

Or ... your basic 4X8 wood grain panel seems like about the perfect size. Again, it would press against the sides and arc up to hold shape.

Seems simple on the surface, but I've never seen it done and there's probably a reason for that. Any of you done anything like this? Pictures?
Old 10-11-2017, 03:06 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

Not a crazy idea at all. Several people have done wood paneled headliners in the full sized Wagoneers and Cherokees. Here's a Google Image Search to show you some examples.

Originally Posted by wristwister
The simplest solution would be to just slide in a good headliner from the doner XJ...
A better solution (if you decide the wood paneling is too much) is to buy headliner material at JoAnn Fabric and a can of 3M Super 77 adhesive. You just remove your fiberglass headliner board, scrub all the old foam and glue off, apply adhesive, apply material and trim to fit. There are numerous DIY threads and YouTube videos showing how to do it.

The problem with swapping in another old headliner is that it'll probably start to sag pretty soon after you do it. Might as well do it once and do it right.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Shakey, it does indeed look doable.

I've found that most XJs, including both ours, don't have that headliner pan. Rather it's just foam backed headliner material that can't really be recovered.
Old 10-11-2017, 05:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 298 Likes on 253 Posts
Year: '96

Like your two mine didn't have the fiberglass board either. Been years w/o anything with no problem. But if you decide to go the paneling route please keep us posted. There's a lot of options besides the wood look.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 97
Engine: 4.0

So the headliner in the 95 XJ my daughter and I are building is trashed. The simplest solution would be to just slide in a good headliner from the doner XJ, but we had a crazy thought: wood grain. A couple ways to go about this:

Home Depot has vinyl flooring slats that seem to be the perfect size. They're 48" wide, which is perfect for pressing against the sides as it arcs up. They interlock together, and when they're arced like that the hold together great.

Or ... your basic 4X8 wood grain panel seems like about the perfect size. Again, it would press against the sides and arc up to hold shape.

Seems simple on the surface, but I've never seen it done and there's probably a reason for that. Any of you done anything like this? Pictures?
This is what my wife and I decided to do. We have done some home work on this and figured rolled vinyl covering would probably work the best. It can be heated and it will conform to almost any cavity or bulge. We actually used to do whole interiors this way back in the 60's and 70's. And by whole interior I mean even heat shaping it over all the rounded metal door, door posts, dash, Etc. My wife likes the idea of wipe down clean up.

Originally Posted by EZEARL
Like your two mine didn't have the fiberglass board either. Been years w/o anything with no problem. But if you decide to go the paneling route please keep us posted. "There's a lot of options besides the wood look."
Absolutely! I like Camo but my wife hates it. So we came to a compromise, She is going to let me do at least just the headliner with a tan marsh grass Camo pattern to match the tan interior we already have.

This stuff is military grade but she picked "shadow grass blades". lol

http://www.mossyoakgraphics.com/
Old 10-11-2017, 07:05 PM
CF Veteran

This could get interesting. Guess it would be best to put some kind of vapor barrier and insulation above the paneling?
Old 10-11-2017, 07:16 PM
CF Veteran

This could get interesting. Guess it would be best to put some kind of vapor barrier and insulation above the paneling?
I am going to contact glue some Mylar reflective air bubble type house insulation above mine before I put it back. Next time I have my doors and rear hatch apart I will do the same. I love that stuff... it has got to be the best insulation made for it's weight, thickness and form shaping. Be surprised what a difference that stuff makes if you line the inside of your hard hat with it.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:31 PM
CF Veteran

Sounds good. So between that insulation and a thin (read cheap so maybe it's easier to work with?) 4x8 sheet of paneling with some sort of design a person would just need fasteners.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:48 PM
CF Veteran

Sounds good. So between that insulation and a thin (read cheap so maybe it's easier to work with?) 4x8 sheet of paneling with some sort of design a person would just need fasteners.
Pretty sure mine has the fiberglass tub. So I can glue the insulation to the roof metal before I put the tub back. And of course my tub will just have a vinyl covering layered on it.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:51 PM
CF Veteran

Important note here... When I measured mine it looked like 48" inches was not wide enough to make up for the crown. It was a little shy and so I have been shopping for the other option width which is 53" inches.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:10 PM
Banned

I've found that most XJs, including both ours, don't have that headliner pan. Rather it's just foam backed headliner material that can't really be recovered.
If you don't have the fiberglass board, are you saying someone glued headliner material directly to the sheet metal and crossmembers? Can you post a picture of that?
Old 10-11-2017, 09:18 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by extrashaky
If you don't have the fiberglass board, are you saying someone glued headliner material directly to the sheet metal and crossmembers? Can you post a picture of that?
I'm trying to visualize that myself. I wonder if it might be stiff foam pressed into the right shape rather than a tub?
Old 10-11-2017, 09:21 PM
No, I don't lick fish.

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

FOUND IT!

Here's a guy that did a pretty killer wood paneling headliner. Turned out really good, IMO.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f58/cu...2/#post1048051
Old 10-11-2017, 10:04 PM
Banned

Now, you want a headliner idea that's actually pretty crazy...

Antique bathroom tiles.

I mean, as long as we're putting flooring on our ceilings...
Old 10-11-2017, 10:10 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by extrashaky
Now, you want a headliner idea that's actually pretty crazy...

Antique bathroom tiles.

I mean, as long as we're putting flooring on our ceilings...
Lol... and why not wainscoting? I'm actually wainscoting my coach walls. lol