Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crawled under your Jeep lately???

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 09:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L I-6
Default Crawled under your Jeep lately???

Well, yesterday was pretty nice out, but I didn't feel like really working on the jeep. Sometimes I raise the hood and just look and plan. Well I decided to take a really good look underneath. I started at the front and worked my way to the back. The front was in better shape than I thought, other than the oil leaks that I am getting ready to fix. Got to the middle, first thing popped out was rusty brake line going to the rear. Just about afraid to even touch it !!! I the took a big crowbar and adjusted my exhaust so that it would stop rattling. I have a crack in the exhaust manifold of which I knew already. The ! down pipe was welded to the manifold and was bent, half collapsed!!! Looks like it still has the OEM cat on there. The muffler is about gone, I could poke a finger in it if I wanted to. Found a broken hanger, that had been rattling and was wired up with a good ol coat hanger !!! So I removed both of them. I have no bump stops! Just two rusty brackets !!! At this point, I have a can of Kryloil and I'm a sprayin !!! No bad rust underneath ! Just one place on the passenger side rear quarter behind the wheel. Guess all the oil underneath helped !!! I knew the leafs were sagging, a lot of clunking and squeaking . The shackles are toast !!! The pinion seal and cover are leaking too. I was mainly concerned with the rust and the condition of the rockers, so I can add sliders. They were in great shape, solid as a rock ! Now I know exactly what I have and a lot better idea of which direction to go next. When I found that rusty brake line , I could literally hear the music from Psycho blaring in my head !!! So the entire brake upgrade will be coming soon ! Want to upgrade to rear discs. All new calipers, rotors and ceramic pads . I've decided to go with a complete set of the Stoptech, painted and slotted, with red powder coated calpers and Akebono ceramic pads . I'm thinking SSTL hard lines, is there anything that would be better ? I'll go with the usual braided SSTL extended lines at each wheel. Any suggestions or comments welcome !
Old 04-21-2018, 10:19 AM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Here is a link to a more economical option to get rear disks. https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f71/di...on-kit-159484/
Old 04-21-2018, 10:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Periodic inspections are super important. Just exhaust leak issues anywhere in the assembly alone can kill you if the cabin or rear hatch is not sealed up well. Reason enough to do this fairly often right there...
Old 04-21-2018, 12:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L I-6

Originally Posted by SteveMongr
Here is a link to a more economical option to get rear disks. https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f71/di...on-kit-159484/
Thanks for the link ! I found a guy on eBay selling them like this. I contacted him to see if I could just get the backing plates and hardware. I was wanting to replace everything else with new parts to match my fronts. He said that he'd do it. May be the same person? Waiting to hear back from him.
Old 04-21-2018, 12:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1,531 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Every year I crawl under mine just to put a ratchet or wrench to anything I can get at.