Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cowl intake?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 08:50 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Renix
Default Cowl intake?

Ok so this kinda piggiebacks on the cold air intake thread started, but in an effort to not hijack, I'm starting this one. What are the benefits of a cowl intake? Cons? Thanks in advance!
one con noted, possible more noise in cab.
Benefit noted: clears up more space under hood
Old 11-06-2017, 10:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

It works almost like a snorkel with out having one.It sucks in cold air from the cowl.And its not restrictive like most factory intakes are.Cons you gotta cut a good size hole in your cowl and at wide open throttle you might hear a little sucking sound in the cab of the jeep,But if you have mud tires or anything like that youll never hear that sucking sound over the tires.
Old 11-06-2017, 10:32 PM
Seasoned Member

Holes I am comfortable with making, and the noise I am not worried about. But please keep it coming! Anything else?
Old 11-07-2017, 01:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have THOR cowl intake system and I love it. it was easy to install and bullet proof.
Old 11-07-2017, 03:53 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Benefits:
- gets rid of the stock airbox, allowing space for a second battery, air compressor, storage, etc. -- also easier to immediately access the radiator hoses, trans cooler lines, and motor mount
- won't have to worry about sucking in water when you nose downward into a puddle
- filter stays cleaner longer; I only have to pull and clean/re-oil mine once per year and it's barely dirty
- doesn't hang off the side waiting for a tree to bash it in or rip it off like a snorkel

Cons:
- slight noise at higher RPMs
- kits can seem kinda spendy depending on your definition of expendable income (I have the original THOR, was around $180)
Old 11-07-2017, 04:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Year: 96 & 88 4 dr Cherokees

Originally Posted by JK253
Benefits:
- gets rid of the stock airbox, allowing space for a second battery, air compressor, storage, etc. -- also easier to immediately access the radiator hoses, trans cooler lines, and motor mount
- won't have to worry about sucking in water when you nose downward into a puddle
- filter stays cleaner longer; I only have to pull and clean/re-oil mine once per year and it's barely dirty
- doesn't hang off the side waiting for a tree to bash it in or rip it off like a snorkel

Cons:
- slight noise at higher RPMs
- kits can seem kinda spendy depending on your definition of expendable income (I have the original THOR, was around $180)
1 additional con........in states with state inspections, it may not pass, as it is considered modifying emissions equipment.
Old 11-07-2017, 05:13 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by TRCM
1 additional con........in states with state inspections, it may not pass, as it is considered modifying emissions equipment.
True. I live in WA where there's no vehicle inspection, only emissions inspections in a few of the larger counties, which is due to be completely phased out by 2020 anyway.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:48 PM
Seasoned Member

And TG I don't live in an emissions county! Ok so it seems like I have all my facts straight. Thanks guys. I think it's going on my (mounting) build list!
Old 11-07-2017, 09:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

mine is LOUD. really loud. it seems the filter is smaller and needs to be cleaned more often. planning for dual batteries, so i kinda need it for that.