Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

confused/angry/frustrated

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 07:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default confused/angry/frustrated

Part 1) OK so as you can see from my title I need help.
first of all I had a bad clunking noise coming from my front end so after some inspection I decided it was time to replace ball joints (upper and lower) ujoints at the axle and all the tie rods and tie rod ends and all related parts (basically the whole front end). after said install I still have clunking and I am out a lot of cash and still have the problem! any suggestions as to were to look next? it seams to happen when I back up and turn right or when I go over bumps while turning right (after this one it keeps clunking while going in a straight line for a while)

Part 2) at the same time I did the front end work, I installed a "rocky Road" BB 2" lift.(no were near as easy as the gentlemen who sold it to me said it was to install)
Jeep looks great but I now need to install the transfer case drop. does anybody have an exact list of what I need to do this? aka how many bolts? what size bolts? how tall of spacers do i need to make the drive shaft "shimmy" go away? it seems to only do it at about 30 mph

Part 3) Check engine light came on about 3 weeks ago, I stopped at oriel y auto parts and checked the code it said evap. So I figured gas cap or something of that sort. this time after all the work i stopped to clear it again and this time it said misfire on cylinder # 3! could this be as easy as a spark plug or is this a sign of something bigger?

I am very frustrated, I am broke and out of money for a while and still have all of these problems. the transfer case drop I can machine the parts myself if I get the sizes. but the rest i do not know.
help please
Old 08-25-2011, 09:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

1" spacers
M10x1.5x40mm bolts - 4 of them
4 washers

Put a jack under the crossmember, pull the 4 crossmember frame bolts, lower crossmember enough to put spacers between it and the frame, bolt it back up.

If you pull the welded nuts out of the frame when you are removing the crossmember be prepared to do some cutting/grinding/welding or put some extra bigass nut serts in and hope they don't spin free.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:22 AM

As for your misfire - try swapping the #3 plug with another cylinder and see if the misfire code moves. If it does guess what you found out?
Old 08-25-2011, 09:43 AM

thanks for responding and your advice. I will try them tonight.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:49 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1991

I have a front end clunk that did not go away after replacing all ball joints and upper control arm bushings, so I feel your pain... hoping it is the trac bar or lca's as I have replacements for those waiting to go on with my lift... if that doesn't fix it I don't know what I'll do. I can't find anything that's obviously loose in the front end but this clunk is driving me nuts. My old XJ that had a lot more miles on it never did this.

Last edited by WantACherokee; 08-25-2011 at 09:55 AM.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:22 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 I6

Have you looked at your front shocks? I had one with the top rubber bushing that fell out and it would thump every time the shock cycled.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:31 AM

Year: 1996
Default Front End Troubleshooters Guide

I too have something of a soft clunk under my '96 w/ 187,000 miles. Been told that if I don't hear/feel a popping in the front end, the ball joints are OK. Sorta suspect worn out shocks but haven't jacked it up to wiggle and twist on things and find the issue yet.

It would a sincere kindness if someone knowledgebale in this area could offer a procedure in a logical sequence (wheel bearings > tie rod ends > ball joints > control arms > shocks, etc.), to troubleshoot this part of the Cherokee's soul. Any takers?
Old 08-25-2011, 11:50 AM

I also have new shocks so i do not think that's it.
as I said the whole front end is basically new. the only thing I did not replace would be the axle,brakes,control arms. i am sure i missed a couple of things. Everybody i talked to said I have replaced all of the usual suspects that would make that noise. So I am not sure what to do
Old 08-25-2011, 12:11 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999

Since the clunk comes when you are turning, it's likely to be something that should not have lateral play but does... since you've replaced a lot of likely suspects, I would next suspect the control arms. I'm kinda in the same boat - replaced crusty old unit bearings, inspected u-joints, ball joints, replaced brakes, checked steering linkages. Still have some weird noises and slop in steering - I'm pretty sure it's my control arms. The uppers look to be original, the lowers are low-quality aftermarket - the bushings look like crap on all 4 of mine. I'm waiting to have the $$ to get a new, quality lift kit since I need new springs to get rid of my blocks, and now I think I need U&LCAs too.

Also maybe check your front driveshaft u-joints for play?
Old 08-25-2011, 12:31 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1991

I might try and take a closer look at my front end today. My shock bushings look OK but the shocks themselves may be shot. On my Jeep whether or not I'm turning doesn't make any difference, it clunks either way as long as I am going over bumps or uneven roads. I don't seem to notice it on large bumps, but always on smaller ones. So I think whatever is moving around doesn't do it when the suspension compresses. Any idea what would that could be?

Last edited by WantACherokee; 08-25-2011 at 12:35 PM.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:39 PM

Also check front axle u-joints
Old 08-25-2011, 01:16 PM

after the initial "clunk" when turning it starts doing it when I go straight but seems to happen with the rotation of the wheel. as i pick up speed it goes away until i turn again.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:41 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by Btommy
seems to happen with the rotation of the wheel.
Wheel bearings have any play?
Old 08-25-2011, 01:50 PM

not sure, how do i check them?
Old 08-31-2011, 09:06 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 litre HO

with the clunking, make sure the double cardigan joint in the front driveshaft is greased, has a rubber boot in the middle, a needle fitting on a grease gun will do wonders, i almost replaced my front diff bearings cause i thought thats what the clunk i experienced was! its the joint right before the u joints on the end by the t case. ......front axle )====(+)=( t case....worth a shot? try all the cheap fixes before you go replacing stuff, thats what ma daddy taught me haha