Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is a cold air intake worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 03:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L HO
Default is a cold air intake worth it?

Comparison: AFE stage 2 cold air intake versus K&N Universal filter with a microgard filter protector

I decided to start this thread as an open discussion. I have been running an AFE stage 2 cold air intake on my 96 XJ 4.0 for the last 3 years. I've always felt quite a bit of difference in the gain from the cold air intake vs the factory air box setup.

Now that I am considering doing a dual battery setup prior to getting my winch and adding other electrical accessories, I felt like the AFE cold air setup used way too much space for the little power that it does add to my system.

What you see in the picture is an experimental solution. Using the same Spectre adapter that I was originally running with the AFE intake, I have mounted a K&N Universal filter, model number RA - 0770 and the filter wears pre-filter that is specific to that style of universal filter.

I will update this post from time to time with my findings. I've been running the engine pretty hard today in the 80 to 85 degree weather and I have noticed a significant reduction in the annoying whining sound made by the AFE cold air but no reduction in my exhaust note which leads me to believe that I'm gaining the same amount of air in that I was before. I also feel as though I have a marginal gain in throttle response, but I could also be placebo from getting new parts LOL.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 190 Likes on 165 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

I would look into cowl intakes personally. It raises the air intake, which helps with deep water or mud, and it actually pulls in truly cold air and not warm engine bay air.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:01 PM

Please delete thread I just realized it was accidentally posted to OEM Tech instead of modded tech
Old 11-06-2017, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by SatiricalHen
I would look into cowl intakes personally. It raises the air intake, which helps with deep water or mud, and it actually pulls in truly cold air and not warm engine bay air.
The cold air intake set up the way AFE had it was actually lower then this K&n Universal is. Obviously the microgard filter isn't going to hold up to being completely submerged but it's supposed to keep rain water and other moisture from penetrating the filter fiber
The following users liked this post:
TheBlackPearl (01-28-2022)
Old 11-06-2017, 04:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L6

There's nothing cold about the air under an XJ hood. There are a couple of ways to get cold air:

1. below the engine, but then you've dramatically limited where you can take your XJ
2. from the cowl, but the induction noise inside the cabin can be annoying

IMO, #2 is the best option if you don't mind the noise.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:12 PM
Moderator CF K9-unit

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000 sport
Engine: New 4.0l from s&j engines

Those under the hood cleaners are hot air intakes.

A cowl intake is only loud when your foot is in the gas..Yes there is a normal cowl noise from it.. But by no means is it annoying loud. only when heavy footing it, I dont think its a annoying sound. Sounds good I think.

At time 0:27 in this vid you here how the cowl intake quiets down once back to normal driving.

Last edited by Dumajones; 11-06-2017 at 04:14 PM.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:20 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Originally Posted by Ozark Mountain Ranger
Please delete thread I just realized it was accidentally posted to OEM Tech instead of modded tech
Moved it for ya

FWIW both of those are NOT true CAI's. They may advertise it that way, but it's still underhood, where we all know, it gets toasty in there.

The cowl intake is the way to go here, or snorkel, if you like a large amount of plumbing hanging off the side of your rig...but in all honesty, very few people need to run a true snorkel. If you're deep in the jungles of some tropical climate that has a lot of deep water crossings, it's a necessity. (Or any deep water crossings for that matter)...

The cowl intake is a great solution to not having all that hanging off the side of your rig. Moves the intake up pretty high, and pulls in truly cooler air.

As far as the noise goes...I kinda dig it. Only really there when you get on the skinny pedal, and we all want cool sounds when on the skinny pedal, right?
Old 11-06-2017, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Dumajones
Those under the hood cleaners are hot air intakes.

A cowl intake is only loud when your foot is in the gas..Yes there is a normal cowl noise from it.. But by no means is it annoying loud. only when heavy footing it, I dont think its a annoying sound. Sounds good I think.

At time 0:27 in this vid you here how the cowl intake quiets down once back to normal driving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_u23F2PyJc
Good vid Duma...your Spectre intake goes into the firewall on the passenger side, yes?

I did the "poor man's" CAI, by modding the stock airbox with a flex pipe to the driver's side cowl. Cost around $25. Works great. I do like the Spectre kit, but it would never fly here in Cali, would fail inspection immediately. What I like about the stock airbox mod is I can just remove the flex pipe, go get inspected, pass, then re-install. Plus, it uses the stock air filter, I use WIX, so not pricey, and it WORKS.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:32 PM
Moderator CF K9-unit

Originally Posted by roninofako
Good vid Duma...your Spectre intake goes into the firewall on the passenger side, yes?

I did the "poor man's" CAI, by modding the stock airbox with a flex pipe to the driver's side cowl. Cost around $25. Works great. I do like the Spectre kit, but it would never fly here in Cali, would fail inspection immediately. What I like about the stock airbox mod is I can just remove the flex pipe, go get inspected, pass, then re-install. Plus, it uses the stock air filter, I use WIX, so not pricey, and it WORKS.
Yep,,passenger side.

They would fail a air intake? what the **** does that have to do with what comes out the tail pipe..hmmmm,, Cali.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:44 PM

Yep,,passenger side.

They would fail a air intake? what the **** does that have to do with what comes out the tail pipe..hmmmm,, Cali.
Zero mods to emissions equipment. That includes the intake.

is a cold air intake worth it?-adolf-hitler-salute-1.jpg
Old 11-06-2017, 04:48 PM

Attachment 399493
BTW, that grinds my gears. Adolph ruined that 'stache for the rest of us, forever, LOL

Not that I'd rock it, just sayin' haha
Old 11-06-2017, 04:49 PM
Moderator CF K9-unit

God,,thats nuts. When is Cali going to make a law saying you cant drive,,but its ok to push or roll it down a hill.

I cant wait for Cali to outlaw the rock.. Oh no people can throw it at me..
The following users liked this post:
JollyRogue (02-14-2022)
Old 11-06-2017, 04:51 PM
Moderator CF K9-unit

BTW, that grinds my gears. Adolph ruined that 'stache for the rest of us, forever, LOL

Not that I'd rock it, just sayin' haha
If someone gives you crap,,just say its a Charlie Chaplin..

Old 11-06-2017, 04:57 PM

God,,thats nuts. When is Cali going to make a law saying you cant drive,,but its ok to push or roll it down a hill.

I cant wait for Cali to outlaw the rock.. Oh no people can throw it at me..
Believe me, they are working on it.

They punish the people who drive cars by increasing the gas tax, on their own, no voting required. Plus they tack on registration fees, and anyone who got a hybrid, because they said "good for the environment", is also getting a fee, because they aren't getting the gas tax from these folks....so, go green, it'll be cheaper, good for the environment, it's the right thing to do....but now that they have all these sheeple roped in, the revenue from the gas tax is gone from all those bastards, so new fees for you.

They want everyone here to take mass transit, ride a bike 100 miles to work round trip, walk or pay out their wazoos. I know we refrain from political speak here. But it's the honest truth.

I want out of this place, but family comes first. When G-ma goes, we go. Already been discussed, lol
Old 11-06-2017, 05:00 PM
Moderator CF K9-unit

Believe me, they are working on it.

They punish the people who drive cars by increasing the gas tax, on their own, no voting required. Plus they tack on registration fees, and anyone who got a hybrid, because they said "good for the environment", is also getting a fee, because they aren't getting the gas tax from these folks....so, go green, it'll be cheaper, good for the environment, it's the right thing to do....but now that they have all these sheeple roped in, the revenue from the gas tax is gone from all those bastards, so new fees for you.

They want everyone here to take mass transit, ride a bike 100 miles to work round trip, walk or pay out their wazoos. I know we refrain from political speak here. But it's the honest truth.

I want out of this place, but family comes first. When G-ma goes, we go. Already been discussed, lol
WE are way off topic...lol

Time to move up here to AK.. We will be waiting.