Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coil Springs tapping the mount???

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 06:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Coil Springs tapping the mount???

So after replacing:

Ball Joints
Wheel bearing
passenger knuckle
drag link
tie rod and ends
adjustable track bar

I took it in for an alignment, which I had what looked to be positive camber before that, now I realize I was just toed in a lot. Alignment was done, and all is well, but then I started hearing this 'rattling'. Was a for sure metal rattling sound. Only occasionally when going 5-10mph.
It was super faint, and could only hear it with windows up. Started getting louder and more frequent today however, and sounding like it was coming from driver u joint area through the carpet (floor is rusted away lol).

Then I got out and noticed this a minute ago:

It's hard to see in the pics, but that mount? (what is that called that is inside the springs?) is evidently tapping against the springs. What could have caused this? Am I going to feel stupid for posting this?

is it just a matter of tightening something up? Or is something more sinister happening? Also why do you think it happened after just replacing all that stuff and getting alignment?

Old 08-27-2018, 06:26 PM

Why does it seem like EVERY time I take my car into a shop for one thing, it comes back to me with 5 more new noises that it never had before.

I mean it's probably not related to the alignment, or anything they did. Just hard to catch a break.

It has RC 4.5 inch lift on it. I'll try to get some more pics up here in a bit.

Last edited by HighOnLift; 08-27-2018 at 07:12 PM.
Old 08-27-2018, 07:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L I-6

It's where the bump stop mounts. It goes up in the middle. Mine are missing both stops. Mine are also angled like yours. I'll be watching to see how this turns out. I'm considering getting the JKS ACOS adjustable set up. But would still like to know the answer.
Old 08-27-2018, 08:03 PM

The other side looks very similar in angle but doesn't make noticeable contact

Here is the passenger side for reference:

Also I'm just having a hard time wrapping my head around the track bar... If it's my passenger wheel sticks out .25 inches more than drivers, do I shorten or lengthen the track bar?

Last edited by HighOnLift; 08-27-2018 at 08:06 PM.
Old 08-27-2018, 08:09 PM

I also remember the angle always being like this. So even if the trackbar needs to be slightly adjusted, I highly doubt it's going to do much other than require a slightly larger bump until contact is made.

Here is my control arm:

Old 08-27-2018, 08:10 PM

And here is just a pic of the entire thing best I could:

Old 08-27-2018, 08:14 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 5.2

You need to check pinion/caster angles.
Old 08-27-2018, 08:29 PM

Model: Cherokee

Originally Posted by firebane

I agree, put a magnetic angle finder on the bottom of your knuckle see what you got. Im to lazy to look, do you have fixed or adjustable LCA?
Old 08-27-2018, 08:38 PM

I have no drive vibrations at all though. Ordering an angle finder tool now.
Old 08-27-2018, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by doped304
I agree, put a magnetic angle finder on the bottom of your knuckle see what you got. Im to lazy to look, do you have fixed or adjustable LCA?
fixed lowers and uppers

Last edited by HighOnLift; 08-27-2018 at 08:40 PM.
Old 08-27-2018, 08:53 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 2.5 liter

My XJ did the very same thing on one side only. I got to looking at everything and I finally figured out that I needed to re-center the axle. Once I got the axle centered under the body, via track bar adjustment, I had just enough clearance for the springs to pass the bump stop.

Firebane may be on something as well. I didn't check the pinion angle. Now, thanks to him, I will have to check it out just to see. lol

Good Luck and Happy Jeepin'
TexasTaz38
Old 08-27-2018, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by texastaz38
My XJ did the very same thing on one side only. I got to looking at everything and I finally figured out that I needed to re-center the axle. Once I got the axle centered under the body, via track bar adjustment, I had just enough clearance for the springs to pass the bump stop.

Firebane may be on something as well. I didn't check the pinion angle. Now, thanks to him, I will have to check it out just to see. lol

Good Luck and Happy Jeepin'
TexasTaz38
Ok this makes me feel better as I think this is what is going on since I replaced the factory track bar with a RC adjustable one. But I would have thought the alignment shop would have checked and corrected that. I specifically asked them to. I'll check it in the morning and report back.
Old 08-27-2018, 09:25 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 2.5 liter

Mine is a RC adjustable also. It has plenty of adjustment to bring everything back to center if its not already centered. Be sure to turn the ignition switch on while adjusting the track bar so the steering wheel lock is not in a bind. After you get recentered you will need to recenter your steering wheel as well or your turn signals won't release at the correct positions.

Bleepin Jeep has a video for all the above procedures. That's how I did mine.

TexasTaz38
Old 08-27-2018, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by texastaz38
Mine is a RC adjustable also. It has plenty of adjustment to bring everything back to center if its not already centered. Be sure to turn the ignition switch on while adjusting the track bar so the steering wheel lock is not in a bind. After you get recentered you will need to recenter your steering wheel as well or your turn signals won't release at the correct positions.

Bleepin Jeep has a video for all the above procedures. That's how I did mine.

TexasTaz38
So if my passenger tire is slightly out more than drivers, I would need to shorten it right? As normally the opposite happens when it's too short, or do I have this backwards? And BJ vids, he doesn't adjust it in the vid because he doesn't have suspension on it yet etc...
Old 08-27-2018, 09:41 PM

I ordered an angle finder, but then also downloaded one that is an app for my phone. When I put it on the bottom of the 'C' I get 12-13 degrees for drivers side and 14-15 for the passenger...

I mean not that the phone is terribly accurate, but what does this mean if it's true?

Quick Reply: Coil Springs tapping the mount???