Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch problem- baffled

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 12:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1986
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 3.4 V6 TBI
Default Clutch problem- baffled

Hey guys, my first post, because for 3 years I've been able to get my answers searching the forum- quite the education!
Quick summary, starting with an '86 (it was cheap), I found that I had to pretty much replace everything to get where I want to be. I started 2 yrs ago with replacing the blown 2.8 with a 3.4 Camaro and swapped to TBI.
The last 3 months I've been swapping out the ax5 with a ax15/ 231, built d30 trutrac, d44 detroit and 4.56 gears, lifted to 5" with RE drops, bastard leafs and shackle relocators.
I'm pretty much done but for 3 weeks have not been able to make the clutch fully disengage. I started with stock parts but now have a new master, new slave (external), and I now have a custom ss hose so I could bench bleed the whole assy. It has the best pedal feel yet and I still cant get it to shift when running.
I can start in gear (clutch in) and hold the jeep with the brake, but there is enough drag to not allow shift out of gear.
I used the adapter kit from Advance for the 4 cyl swap which included a new disc- I used my old pressure plate which was new a couple of years ago and the ax15 is used but seems to be fine. I have about 1" of throw on the arm when observed through the starter hole. The pivot is on the opposite side of the throw out bearing which I assume is actually travelling 1/2"- is that enough?
I'm not new to this stuff but I'm completely stumped and frustrated.
If anyone has been down this road and has any idea I would welcome the help!

Last edited by mikduk; 03-04-2013 at 12:19 PM.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:45 PM
Former Sponsor

Do you have any picture of the clutch? Had this issue once a long time ago on a bronco.

do you have any images? sounds like it doesnt have enough throw.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:50 AM

No pictures of the clutch, it's just off the shelf parts store diaphram type. The disc and transmission are the only difference from when it worked with the ax5. I'm thinking not enough throw too, just don't know how much throw it should have and how to solve. I've already cut the aluminum slave spacer 3/8" thinking it was fully extended and bottomed against the retainer. I'm trying to "keep it simple" but running out of ideas. How much throw does a clutch need?
Old 03-05-2013, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Morris4x4Center
Do you have any picture of the clutch? Had this issue once a long time ago on a bronco.

do you have any images? sounds like it doesnt have enough throw.
How did you fix the problem on the Bronco?
Old 03-13-2013, 02:19 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by mikduk
How did you fix the problem on the Bronco?
I was helping a friend install the transmission back onto his newly swapped clutch and pressure plate. Ends up when he installed the pressure plate the bolts either backed out or were not fully torqued.

I also pop'd my axle out in a 2wd Nissan. When i lifted off the clutch pedal the engine wouldnt stall and i was goin no where. At first i thought the slave cylinder was getting stuck or i was having engagement issues.

Last edited by Morris4x4Center; 03-13-2013 at 02:23 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:02 AM

Thanks for the reply.
I pulled the transmission last night and found that my initial install must have buggered the splines on the new clutch plate. This kept the plate from sliding onto the input shaft correctly and was holding the disc hard against the flywheel. I cleaned the splines up so the disc slides easily and hopefully tonight I'll be driving again. I'm sure a tranny guy has had this happen but it's the first time it's happened to me. No more rough handling tranny install for me!
I picked up some long metric bolts and cut off the heads to use for alignment and also used an old trans mount bolted to my floor jack which holds the trans/ transfer case perfectly balanced- much easier than a wrestling match. Thanks again.