Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clunk with Control Arm Drop Brackets...

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 02:11 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I-6
Default Clunk with Control Arm Drop Brackets...

Hey guys,

Ok, so I've had my Rubicon Express drop brackets on for over a month now and I'm noticing something that wasn't there during the first week or so. Lets say I'm backing out of my driveway before heading to work, when I engage the Jeep into a forward gear I feel a "clunk" right under my feet. Keep in mind, this only started after the DB's.

It's become really bothersome so I crawled under my Jeep to see if I could pin-point the noise. A little squeaking, but I couldn't see any movement in any of the bolts. I tightened them all up just to be sure.

I'm jerry-rigged a little bit. I was able to purchase the brackets and braces online from craigslist but they came with no hardware (nuts and bolts). I found a list online and purchased my own and fabb'd my own crush sleeve's out of square tubing I had laying around.

Everything fit like it was supposed to so I don't think it's my hardware.

I did notice one thing, the drivers side bracket and brace had a very small gap between them, whereas the passenger side had none. I'm going to take a closer look tomorrow.

But, does anyone have anything else for me check? I'm wondering if my tranny mount is bad and the DB's made it pronounced. I dunno, just would appreciate any ideas!
Old 01-27-2011, 03:31 AM

Year: 1988
Engine: 383stroker

its the drop brackets... you have to crank them down very very tight or weld them in as i did... they wont clunk ever again LOL.... just make sure your controll arm bolts are very very tight too... i also had that problem.... the best fix to the problem is long arms i hated them damn drop brackets the got caught on things and were a pain in the ***
Old 01-27-2011, 08:47 AM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.7

X2 on them getting Hung up on absolutely everything and make sure the bolts for the control ARM on the axle are tight that was always were mine got loose and made nasty clunking sounds.