Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clunk clunk noise after lift

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990 & 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l TB spacer,
Default clunk clunk noise after lift

i just installed some RE fixed length lca's and uca's and now im getting a clunking noise mainly when i hit bumps in the road its a real harsh ride. some of it is coming from the rc sway bars discos but i eliminated that by disconnecting them. its sounds like its mainly around the passenger side floor board. could it be the super flex joint on the alxle end making noise and carrying into the cab? also if im braking while it hit bumps the bump is not *** harsh or as loud. shocks are new bilsteins and everything torqued properly. idk? has anybody had this problem or have any suggestion on what it could be?
Old 03-26-2011, 06:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had the same problem. I didn't have them torqued to spec just blasted them on with an air gun at the time. Also, make sure not to torque them to spec with the Jeep up in the air. When installing the control arms, only snug the bolts. I normally spin it around the block so the suspension can settle and then torque them to spec with the weight of the Jeep applied to the ground. Goodluck.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:12 PM

Year: 1990 & 2001
Engine: 4.0l TB spacer,
Default clunk clunk

thanks for the advice , i figured the noise was coming from the ca's being to tight. ill have to loosen them on my day off . thnxz man
Old 03-30-2011, 06:10 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: I6

How much lift do you have on it? And is it when you hit a dip or go over a bump? Cause with the short arms it's possible that you're hitting the lower shock mount on a dip. I've seen this happen on a 6.5" short arm kit without the drop brackets. Dunno, just throwing other options out there, never hurts to check.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

It cause by having short arms on a lift over 4". Even with longer adjustable they are sitting at a steap enough angle that shock from bumps is getting transmited to the body through the frame mounts instead of being absorbed by the shocks. Loosening the control arm mounts will induse Death Wobble. Solution is Control Arm drop brackets or Long Arms.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by 93gc40
It cause by having short arms on a lift over 4". Even with longer adjustable they are sitting at a steap enough angle that shock from bumps is getting transmited to the body through the frame mounts instead of being absorbed by the shocks. Loosening the control arm mounts will induse Death Wobble. Solution is Control Arm drop brackets or Long Arms.

I would agree with this except that he didn't get the noises until he installed the new arms. Wouldn't he have had the noises with the old arms if that was the case? If anything, I would think he'd have less noise with brand new bushings. More new rubber should equal less noise. I run 4.5 inch with short arms on mine and it rides beautiful. And I still have 3 inch lift shocks in it.

I recommend loosening the control arm bolts slightly. If you left them loose, then YES you would have death wobble. But like I said earlier, drive it around the block like that only and then tighten and torque them to spec with the Jeep on the ground not in the air. If you torque them in the air, you will bind up the bushings.

The other thing I though of too is that if the control arms are slightly longer, it may have changed your pinion angle slightly.

Last edited by Lyon; 03-31-2011 at 07:35 PM.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:19 PM

Year: 1997

I had a problem like this, I took it into a suspension shop and they couldn't figure it out. Then when I went under I found it in like 30 min ( thought it was some bushings ant that wasn't it) turned out my track bar? Bolts where loose. ( track bar? The bar that connects to your unibody to the front axle)

This was with my 3" lift
Old 04-02-2011, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Blackwolf
I had a problem like this, I took it into a suspension shop and they couldn't figure it out. Then when I went under I found it in like 30 min ( thought it was some bushings ant that wasn't it) turned out my track bar? Bolts where loose. ( track bar? The bar that connects to your unibody to the front axle)

This was with my 3" lift

Funny, I had that issue as well. I thought I was having a bad day when I installed it and left the bolts loose. After tightening 3 different times, I found that blue locktite is my friend. No more issues.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996

I had the same issue with the LCAs hitting the shock mounts on the axle. little time with a cut off wheel fixed the noise issue for the street by cutting away some of the extra metal. Simple fix to kill the sound before you get long arms.