Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chop the top - 1996 2 door ?? Thoughts,,ideas?? PICS ??

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 10:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.5
Default Chop the top - 1996 2 door ?? Thoughts,,ideas?? PICS ??

Just bouncing some ideas around this evening,,, did some searching but really,,,I didn't find the answers I was seeking.

If I wanted to make my 96 2 door a true rag-top,,,what would I have to do in order to maintain or improve,,structurally what I have removed? Where else would need reinforced to regain some strength?

Like roll cage.. would I just thru bolt it to the floor pan?
I like the "fast back look also. Like the old Bronco or Internationals,, I'm thinking of the actual top construction too,,, Having one sewn up,,, any idea on the cost ?
The factory slip-lip, like on the side windows of a TJ would be used on the side of my proposed chop. Even the windshield "lip" could be used. As you can read, soon as I thought about doing this my mind got into 4th gear and took off. My thoughts are not in any order and the flood of steps to get it done seems huge. Doable but huge. Has anyone here actually done this ?

This would be badass looking for sure,,,tooling the beach or wherever,,,Here is a pic,,,, any photochoppers here?

So,,, whattyall all think ? worth the effort?
Attached Thumbnails Chop the top - 1996 2 door ??  Thoughts,,ideas?? PICS ??-img_20140309_152954_360.jpg  
Old 12-26-2014, 10:29 PM

The Defender convertible models are kinda what I am thinking,,,"expedition" look.Here are a few pics. The Defender has the spare on the hood.

Try to have it not looking like a pick up would be the hard part I think. If I wanted an MJ ,,, you know what I mean eh?

So,,, ideas ???
Attached Thumbnails Chop the top - 1996 2 door ??  Thoughts,,ideas?? PICS ??-2-door.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 12-29-2014, 02:54 PM

Here is mine chopped
Attached Thumbnails Chop the top - 1996 2 door ??  Thoughts,,ideas?? PICS ??-image-2773770789.jpg   Chop the top - 1996 2 door ??  Thoughts,,ideas?? PICS ??-image-3670712025.jpg   Chop the top - 1996 2 door ??  Thoughts,,ideas?? PICS ??-image-3936981406.jpg   Chop the top - 1996 2 door ??  Thoughts,,ideas?? PICS ??-image-795433467.jpg   Chop the top - 1996 2 door ??  Thoughts,,ideas?? PICS ??-image-2228772069.jpg  

Old 12-29-2014, 04:32 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: '95
Engine: 4.0 HO

Get frame stiffeners if you don't have any, and tie your cage into them. That would be the safest option, and create the most strength. Search around for different cage designs you like, then break out the sawzall, grinder, and welder and go to town.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:48 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0 High Output

wouldn't recommend doing unless it's a dedicated rig with garage storage. I know of a couple people that have ventured for the chopped look and regret it. loses resale value and structural integrity don't see many benefits of it unless you are looking to build a sort of truggy.
Old 12-31-2014, 06:36 AM

cumminsstr86xjstr86,,,
WOW !!!! VERY NICELY DONE !!!!

Yep,,, you know what I'm looking to do. How long did it take? And roughly what's in it? Time/money wise? I fully understand if you don't wanna say.

I have no problem doing it,, Could care less about resale value ,,,,HAHAHAHAHA,,, it wasn't worth dirt when I bought it. But that "expedition" look is sick. Keeping the 4 banger too I think,,, Just need to gear it down to 4:56 or :88s from the factory 8.25 with 4:10s. Already have the LOKKAs ,,but they need installed. I guess I will get that done with both axles then move on to getting the necessary stiffeners and whatnot to structurally replace what will be removed.

cumminsstr86xjstr86,,,, where did you add the structure back for rigidity when you cut yours up?

Thanks for the replies guys.

Hit
Old 12-31-2014, 03:11 PM

The cage is DOM tubing, it cost me roughly somewhere around 1000, will all the metal supplies, welding and all that, took about a year in just a two car garage hahaha
Attached Thumbnails Chop the top - 1996 2 door ??  Thoughts,,ideas?? PICS ??-image-339912053.jpg   Chop the top - 1996 2 door ??  Thoughts,,ideas?? PICS ??-image-18334368.jpg   Chop the top - 1996 2 door ??  Thoughts,,ideas?? PICS ??-image-138724560.jpg   Chop the top - 1996 2 door ??  Thoughts,,ideas?? PICS ??-image-3845574208.jpg   Chop the top - 1996 2 door ??  Thoughts,,ideas?? PICS ??-image-479179869.jpg  

Chop the top - 1996 2 door ??  Thoughts,,ideas?? PICS ??-image-298128148.jpg   Chop the top - 1996 2 door ??  Thoughts,,ideas?? PICS ??-image-3877098530.jpg  
Old 12-31-2014, 03:18 PM

I tied the cage to the unibody in three separate spots in each side of the body, and then tied it into the bumper in the rear, under the unibody I just cut out backing plates se each leg of the cage had something to grab to besides the body and just ran bolts and nuts to hold them together to the cage, works really well actually, and makes it a breeze to fake the cage out if you ever have to, where the body was cut away from the windshield it leaves about a 2 inch gab between the roof and the interior so I just built a plate of the cage that slid into this gap and the. I ran to nuts and bolts through it to the cage to give the windshield some support, not much there to support that with the roof cut, the rear bumper is actually just the stock bumper that I added my own twist to, just to give a cool and function able look, I reinforced the bumper to the factory mounts to be able to support the cage incase roll over, and then built it to follow the curvature if the dove tail in the rear, I haven't got around to wiring lights back up in the rear but that is soon to come as I need them this year at the Easter jeep safari in Moab, if you have any more ?'s or need more pics just let me know, people always think that as son as you cut the unibody on an xj they are just weak, well I am here to tell you people you are wrong! I know first hand! You really would be surprised at just how strong these things are built, your weakness comes from ****ty maintained jeeps with rust all over, and if you so have that problem get your brain to work and fix it, but frame stiffener kits or man up and do it yourself! These jeeps are incredibly strong if done right, mine was rolled in Moab before I ever had a cage and I flipped it back over and continued the entire trip with it smashed, she never skipped a beat, so say what you will about xj's but they truly are an amazing made vehicle that are incredibly strong out of the box

Last edited by cumminsstr86xjstr86; 12-31-2014 at 03:24 PM.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by cumminsstr86xjstr86
I tied the cage to the unibody in three separate spots in each side of the body, and then tied it into the bumper in the rear, under the unibody I just cut out backing plates se each leg of the cage had something to grab to besides the body and just ran bolts and nuts to hold them together to the cage, works really well actually, and makes it a breeze to fake the cage out if you ever have to, where the body was cut away from the windshield it leaves about a 2 inch gab between the roof and the interior so I just built a plate of the cage that slid into this gap and the. I ran to nuts and bolts through it to the cage to give the windshield some support, not much there to support that with the roof cut, the rear bumper is actually just the stock bumper that I added my own twist to, just to give a cool and function able look, I reinforced the bumper to the factory mounts to be able to support the cage incase roll over, and then built it to follow the curvature if the dove tail in the rear, I haven't got around to wiring lights back up in the rear but that is soon to come as I need them this year at the Easter jeep safari in Moab, if you have any more ?'s or need more pics just let me know, people always think that as son as you cut the unibody on an xj they are just weak, well I am here to tell you people you are wrong! I know first hand! You really would be surprised at just how strong these things are built, your weakness comes from ****ty maintained jeeps with rust all over, and if you so have that problem get your brain to work and fix it, but frame stiffener kits or man up and do it yourself! These jeeps are incredibly strong if done right, mine was rolled in Moab before I ever had a cage and I flipped it back over and continued the entire trip with it smashed, she never skipped a beat, so say what you will about xj's but they truly are an amazing made vehicle that are incredibly strong out of the box
This is awesome. Very nicely done.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 483 Likes on 414 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

I agree. Quite functional on a dedicated trail rig. You do realize that you made shiny spots with that red paint.