Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cherokee SYE PROBLEMS

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Cherokee SYE PROBLEMS

Okay here's what I got. Went to install rough country sye in my np231 tc. Got it out on the work bench disassembled and ended up having to take the planetary gears out. (Dropped the dang oring) everything went back in the way it came out. Installed gears from old output shaft onto new output shaft dropped output shaft chain and output shaft for the front driveshaft in went to test is everything moved freely in 4wd and the chain acted like it was binding. In 4wd the new output shaft looks like it's sitting too low and pulling down on the chain. Put the cover on just to measure the shift pin or whatever you'd like to call it and it's not even protruding 1 inch from the top of the cover. In neutral everything moved fine. I called rough country and they sent me to advance adaptors they said 4wd wouldn't work unless the new yoke was installed. I find that hard to believe because I've seen many videos where they've put the tc in 4wd to measure the pin to top cover. Does anyone know what could've happened before I put this yoke on and it still doesn't work and have to tip back into this tc for the 6th time??
Old 08-03-2017, 09:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 374 Likes on 294 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Can you post any pictures of it? Would greatly help.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

Check out BleepinJeep's video on youtube:

I watched his video and paused it step by step as I did mine. Made it real easy. As 5-Speed said, pictures will help see what you are talking about. Having trouble visualizing what you are describing.
Old 08-04-2017, 07:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the only picture I have right now. What i was saying about the output shaft looking like its sitting too low in 4wd. I watched bleepinjeeps video and a couple other did exactly as they did and im still having problems.
Old 08-04-2017, 07:43 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

I am pretty sure it will bind unless you put the housing completely back together because of the way the bearing sits. I don't think mine would spin freely until I had it all bolted back together.

I didn't remove the t-case from the vehicle, it was easy enough to remove the crossmember and drop it down an inch or so. I just triple checked everything to make sure everything was where it needed to be, and bolted the housing and yokes up.

Maybe I got lucky but it went together perfectly the first time - lucky because I used the Permatex 1-minute gasket maker
​​​​​​
Old 08-04-2017, 02:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Year: 96 & 88 4 dr Cherokees

It has to be back together and the yoke installed to be able to spin freely correctly. The yoke seats the bearing properly.