Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cherokee lighting upgrade comparison

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 05:16 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: ERH 4.0L 16 Power Tech
Default Cherokee lighting upgrade comparison

I have searched the forums and have not found all the info I need.

My plan is to upgrade the charging system cables/wires with some heavy duty versions. I am also upgrading the headlights/headlight loom with the the modern equivalent and considering E-code H4's over DOT versions.

The question is:

Has anyone done these mods recently? What brands do you prefer? Anyone know what the laws are regarding headlight wattage/number of headlights on US highways?
Old 03-08-2011, 07:13 PM
Seasoned Member

FYI: I have done a considerable amount of research in the form of multiple e-mails to credible sources for parts. I have spent in the neighborhood of two (2) hours in telephone conversations regarding the upgrades. The prices for the after market parts via reputable US companies are far higher than the e-bay comparisons for a similar conversion.

There are a few write-ups regarding a home made upgraded headlight loom and the e-bay loom.

Would like to hear about personal experiences with the conversions.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:40 PM
Seasoned Member

Default New parts!

I am assuming there is some interest in this thread based on the number of views. Unfortunately there does not seem to be any replies to my query.

Update: Faced with the fact that I have zero information regarding quality between manufacturers of H4 conversions in the XJ I have opted to purchase the Hella brand buckets and lamps from Susquehanna Motor Sports. They have a wide variety of parts listed on the website but it isn't the most user friendly I've seen. A telephone call netted a very well spoken and knowledgeable individual that was able to answer all my questions.

Susquehanna Motor Sports is not the cheapest around but for the individual that isn't certain what is required it is one stop shopping with help from the friendly sales staff. I also purchased a wiring loom for the new headlight conversion. The loom proper is built at the SMS facility by the telephone guy. He uses Hella relays and ceramic plugs. The relays (one each for the lows and highs) have two (2) number 87 terminals so splicing the separate driver and passenger side lamp leads is not necessary. After listing prices for the components to build the harness myself it is almost cheaper to have it done there.

I have also ordered from Kelley's Works in Progress an upgraded charging system kit and the ordinance style battery terminals. This style of terminal will provide ample space and provision for the rings supplying power through the relays to the new headlight loom. The cables on mine were beginning to corrode inside the insulation. It is a problem that is best nipped in the bud.

I'll keep you posted on the quality of construction, ease of installation, correctness of the kits vs application, and the overall performance vs the OEM model.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:54 PM
Registered Users

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/200mm...Q5fAccessories
with this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/H4-10...item230ee9c1ff
and this:
http://www.eautoworks.com/product-eA...com-189849.htm

It is the best upgrade I have done to my xj. Fairly cheap as well.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:00 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by jmm0122
How does the lighting look? Is it scattered and blinding for other drivers, or does it project alright?
Old 03-10-2011, 06:17 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by jmm0122
I attempted contact via ebay with both of these sellers for details regarding the components of their products. After 2 days of no contact I ordered the Hellas.

The price is right though. How do you like the way the beam is focused? Also wondering how much adjusting you did with the E-code versus DOT?
Old 03-10-2011, 10:02 PM
Registered Users

Originally Posted by Xjjeep4x4
How does the lighting look? Is it scattered and blinding for other drivers, or does it project alright?
It projects great. Great pattern and tons of light both high and low beams.

Originally Posted by waltermitty
I attempted contact via ebay with both of these sellers for details regarding the components of their products. After 2 days of no contact I ordered the Hellas.

The price is right though. How do you like the way the beam is focused? Also wondering how much adjusting you did with the E-code versus DOT?
I ran silverstars for 3 years and after installing these the difference is like night and day. So far as E-code vs dot im not sure. I havnt been flashed once with the low beams on. The high beams, being 100w, is another story. When I drive behind my buddies they have no problem seeing, so thats good enough for me.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:51 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0L I6

Thanks for responding, I just might have to look into this.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:21 AM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

I'm currently putting in a H4 bi-xenon xentec 6000khid kit in mine. If you're looking for tips, I'd highly suggest the bi-xenon. The bi-xenon allows you to keep both the high and the low beams. Also, the Xentec kit is cheap and reliable from what I have read. Here is a link to the one I recently received in the mail. I'll have you know it looks high quality.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT
Old 03-11-2011, 09:01 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0

There are lots of threads on this stuff. Cibie lights are the Ecodes with a great cut off. Check out danielsternlighting.com for a pair. This guy knows more about lights than you could imagine.

The heavy duty harness is a huge improvement for light output. THe combination of them both are amazing. Ill try to find the link of a guy that ran the IPF with a harness for you.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:03 AM
Seasoned Member

Here is the link for the heavy duty harness and IPF H4 swap. These lights are better than silverstars but not as good as the cibie ecodes.
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/hd...rite-up-11306/
Old 03-11-2011, 01:19 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Screwd up 6
There are lots of threads on this stuff. Cibie lights are the Ecodes with a great cut off. Check out danielsternlighting.com for a pair. This guy knows more about lights than you could imagine.

The heavy duty harness is a huge improvement for light output. THe combination of them both are amazing. Ill try to find the link of a guy that ran the IPF with a harness for you.
I'll have to tune-up my thread searching skills then. I didn't find much at all in the way of comparisons.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:35 PM
Seasoned Member

Pretty sure from what I have read on the boards they are ranked in this order good to best

Silverstars
IPF H4 kit
Cibie Ecodes.

I threw a set of silverstars on mine to hold me over and am impressed, but a heavy duty harness and IPFs or if you can afford Cibies perform amazing! google it you will find some nice pics
Old 03-11-2011, 05:39 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Screwd up 6
Pretty sure from what I have read on the boards they are ranked in this order good to best

Silverstars
IPF H4 kit
Cibie Ecodes.

I threw a set of silverstars on mine to hold me over and am impressed, but a heavy duty harness and IPFs or if you can afford Cibies perform amazing! google it you will find some nice pics
I'll check them out.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:41 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: Its what i like to call the frankenstein 4.0,its the finest refinements from91 to 2000

i installed the dennon hid conversion on my xj,it plugs right in to the factory plugs,indvidual capacitors for each light,only draws 3.5 amps......by far the best mod ive done,would have ben first had i known how freakin awesome they are

Quick Reply: Cherokee lighting upgrade comparison