Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheap Air Locker

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 09:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Cheap Air Locker

check out this link

I been try to figure out what options I have has far as lockers go. I don't really want to get into made in China debate. I have no doubt that this a baised test. When look at whats out there lockright, detroit, etc $450 bucks is a hell of a deal for a selectable locker. So here is my question I'm sure that the ARB is stronger to some extent. The locker in the video fails at 6200 lb per sq in. Can someone dumb that down for me. They have a "toyota axel shaft" Whats that equivlent to dana 60, 44, 35, 30? I've looked around I think there would be more negative feedback on these if they really are that cheap.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:49 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000

thats a good point,
Im sure a dana35 30 or 8.25 would not come close to exceding that of the "china" copy haha

If anything that video encourages me to go cheap because I am not on an axle other than stock!
Old 12-29-2012, 10:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

If that is a toyota 8 inch axle they used for the shaft its about close to a dana 44.As far as lockers depends a lot on what rear ends you have and how the jeep will be used.The point of the video was the real arb will live up to a ton of abuse and the stock axle will snap first.I rather replace a broke axle shaft over a busted diff any day.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:05 PM

Engine: I 4.0

$450 bucks for a imitation locker sounds a little risky but if it works for you let me know.

Last edited by schirm; 12-29-2012 at 11:09 PM.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by schirm
$450 bucks for a imitation locker sounds a little risky but if it works for you let me know.
X2 I think I would spent the extra on the real thing, After all some times it is cheaper to spend more up front then in the long run.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
If that is a toyota 8 inch axle they used for the shaft its about close to a dana 44.As far as lockers depends a lot on what rear ends you have and how the jeep will be used.The point of the video was the real arb will live up to a ton of abuse and the stock axle will snap first.I rather replace a broke axle shaft over a busted diff any day.

Thats true but my question is did it fail because that had an axel out of like a toyota landcrusier close to the strenght of a dana 60 or something. Bar none I'm sure the ARB is better but at that price point would the strength be at least the equivlent of your average lunch box locker? What kind of force is coming on that axel. 6200 lbs if you watch the right that diff twists like 2 and half times on a stactic axel. For XJ with 33's and a v6 I don't know that you can put kind of load unless you just are slamming the skinning pedal on rocks.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:34 AM

This test allows ARB to find the breaking point of the axle/diff assembly in a safe controlled environment. However, the amount of torque required to break these components will not occur in the same manner on the trail unless you have a Super Duty and wedged tire on a D35.

Truth is, it's the loading and unloading of traction on the tires -that is all too common on the trail- which produces spikes in torque load on these components, and causes them to fail. When I used to build Porsche racecars, it wasn't uncommon to see Porsche 944's destroy a transaxle when the drivers dropped a wheel off track then back on. The sudden jolt to the driveline when the spinning tires transitioned from grass to tarmac was enough to blow apart the diff. The diff in these cars was the weak point and would often end the drivers fun weekend. The Porsche Cup cars had strong diffs and would blow apart CV axle shafts -much easier to replace- and the drivers could finish out their weekend or track event.

High quality is cheaper than low quality -this is the mantra of operations management. The idea is that you will spend more money trying to save money as you replace broken parts; lose time and cash spent on a wheeling trip gone bad; downtime while you save for quality replacement parts; time spent replacing the cheap part, then if you saved up for the quality components in the first place.

I'm sure you've heard of someone say something similar to, "if I had of just saved up all the money I spent on replacing cheap parts, I could have had a pair of Dynatrac axles by now." Think about it...
Old 12-30-2012, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by nota944mechanic

High quality is cheaper than low quality.
Yes, very true. Also it looked to me that the gears in the china locker were investment cast which is very unreliable in strength. Some steal casts are strong some arnt because it is very difficult, if not impossible, to truly control the temper of the steal. I'm sure that's a contributing factor to the low cost.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:08 PM

Thought this would be instesting to add, Whatever axel they're testing is farely large.

The axle shaft strength tested by Warn Ind:
F8.8= 6,500 (lb. ft.)
D44= 4,600-5,000 (lb. ft.)
D35C= 4,000-4,300 (lb. ft.)
Old 01-01-2013, 11:09 PM
Former Sponsor

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.8

that video is sooooo outdated that its not even close to relevant to todays air lockers...
Old 01-01-2013, 11:09 PM
Former Sponsor

Old 01-02-2013, 08:42 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 92

Originally Posted by RWKHausSupply
while im not debating the strength of that full case locker. i will say that that test isnt the best test for the internal strength of the locker. the gradual application of power is much easier on components than the on/off throttle impacts occurring offroad. the impact of the internals going from open backlash to contact is what will destroy spiders and crosspins in that locker.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:12 AM

that video is sooooo outdated that its not even close to relevant to todays air lockers...
What do you mean not relevant to today? Both lockers are being sold today. The zip locker video you posted is badass though. I've heard nothing but good things about them.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:18 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by schirm
What do you mean not relevant to today? Both lockers are being sold today. The zip locker video you posted is badass though. I've heard nothing but good things about them.
Thats not a zip locker that they tested. And in the last 3 yrs many of the arb lockers have changed in design.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:12 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

Thats not a zip locker that they tested. And in the last 3 yrs many of the arb lockers have changed in design.
The video you posted was a zip locker. Not sure what that has to do with the chinese knock offs? Could you enlighten us?

Quick Reply: Cheap Air Locker