Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't Fully Turn Right

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 87
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Can't Fully Turn Right

So I bought an 87 xj with the ba10, 231 tcase w/ sye kit, both driveshaft are double cardan and as far as I can tell it only has a 3in lift (spacer lift in from and adjustable leaf spring shackle lift in rear), also has 31s on it and adjustable UCAs and Track bar. So here's the problem I'm having when I bought it it had crossover steering and everytime I'd turn right the tie rod would hit the lower track bar mounting bolt head so out of curiosity I slapped on zj steering but now it hits the steering stabilizer bolt head. The pitman arm is also off of a zj and I don't want to get a bigger drop. I've torn the front end apart again and again with no results. I read that the caster is off since the springs are bowed put but I can't adjust the UCAs due to the pinion angle of the axle to the tcase won't match. Also it's a D30 up front. Any advice would be awesome! Thanks!
Old 09-06-2017, 05:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

Common issue. You can convert to a high steer knuckle which will separate the draglink and tierod. You can purchase offset tie rod ends which will allow enough room to clear the track bar bolt-head. This is a pricey way to go but is what I did to avoid the issue.

On vehicles with larger lifts it's common to convert to an over-the-axle track bar mount but a 3" lift won't have enough room for that without smashing the oil pan
Old 09-06-2017, 05:17 PM

Awesome I appreciate the answer, I've spent countless hours just staring at it and trying to figure out what was wrong since I bought the xj like this. I've been thinking about just taking the knuckles off a wj to convert to high steer
Old 09-07-2017, 09:09 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

Yeah, you can most certainly go with a WJ conversion but it's pricey and quite a bit involved. You could try to find a teraflex high steer knuckle like I did on the cheap but they're hard to come by used. Most guys turn the steering stop out on the knuckle just before the tierod hits the track bar bolt and call it good.
Old 09-07-2017, 04:03 PM

It's my DD right now but once it's not I'll probably convert it to high steer. With me switching from the RR crossover steering it had when I bought it to the zj steering it hits the steering stabilizer mounting bolt so I'm just gonna get a relocation kit or make one myself as a temp fix. In the long run I'll take the lift off and fix the pinion angle and run high steer either that teraflex like you suggested or wj.