Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't figure out why my auxiliary lights wont work! Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 01:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Can't figure out why my auxiliary lights wont work! Help!!

So I went into Princess Auto today to buy myself a cheap set of spot lights for the front of my 93' XJ. I got them mounted, wired properly just like the diagram showed, I have a fuse, relay, switch, grounds, etc but there is one problem I am having. There is 2 wires connected to the toggle switch that it came with, one connects to the relay but there is another really long red one and the manual says to connect it to your high or low beam lights. I have no idea what this means, I am thinking this is what is causing the lights not to work. Has anyone ever had to do this? I'm not sure where I am supposed to connect this wire!!!

http://www.princessauto.com/pal/en/A...uard/8006319.p

These are the lights that I bought.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:33 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

Sounds like the way the instructions tell you to hook them up will only allow them to work with your headlights on and the switch on.
If you want them to be on without the headlights needing to be on you just hook that red wire to the battery or splice into a wire with a 12v reading, now that wire could be always hot (whether the car is on or off) or a wire that is hot when the ignition is in the on position (so you don't forget to turn them off and drain the battery for example).
Old 06-10-2013, 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by PNWjeeper
Sounds like the way the instructions tell you to hook them up will only allow them to work with your headlights on and the switch on.
If you want them to be on without the headlights needing to be on you just hook that red wire to the battery or splice into a wire with a 12v reading, now that wire could be always hot (whether the car is on or off) or a wire that is hot when the ignition is in the on position (so you don't forget to turn them off and drain the battery for example).
How come I need to connect it to the battery though if I already have a wire connected to the battery that goes into a fuse and into a relay and from that relay comes the wire that is connected to the switch.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:50 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KeatonDee
How come I need to connect it to the battery though if I already have a wire connected to the battery that goes into a fuse and into a relay and from that relay comes the wire that is connected to the switch.
Because the battery will provide the current needed to power the lights. The headlights are only acting as a "switch" with the relay to turn on the spot lights. If you try to power the spot lights with the headlight power, you will start a fire or blow a fuse, whichever comes first.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by mr white
Because the battery will provide the current needed to power the lights. The headlights are only acting as a "switch" with the relay to turn on the spot lights. If you try to power the spot lights with the headlight power, you will start a fire or blow a fuse, whichever comes first.
So where and how exactly should I connect this red wire, sorry I suck at electrical and I don't need a fire haha.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:03 AM
CF Veteran

http://www.classictruckshop.com/club...h/foglites.htm

I'm assuming the instructions are telling you to wire pin 85 in the diagram to the headlights and you'll have the switch on pin 86 (switch on ground is the preferable method). This will mean that when you have the headlights on, you can choose whether or not to have the spot lights on with the switch. If you want to run it so that the spotlights can be on whenever you flip the switch and not just when the headlights are on, wire pin 85 to pin 30, (your relay pin out will likely differ from the one above, but functions the same).
Old 06-10-2013, 02:09 AM

http://www.classictruckshop.com/club...h/foglites.htm

I'm assuming the instructions are telling you to wire pin 85 in the diagram to the headlights and you'll have the switch on pin 86 (switch on ground is the preferable method). This will mean that when you have the headlights on, you can choose whether or not to have the spot lights on with the switch. If you want to run it so that the spotlights can be on whenever you flip the switch and not just when the headlights are on, wire pin 85 to pin 30, (your relay pin out will likely differ from the one above, but functions the same).
The kit that it came with has the relay already all set up I can't unplug anything.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:13 AM
CF Veteran

The kit that it came with has the relay already all set up I can't unplug anything.
Can you draw a wiring diagram in ms paint and post it here? It would help me explain this better. I am not saying you should unplug anything and I can only assume what they are telling you to do without having a picture. You probably have 4 pins. One goes to battery with a fuse, one goes to the spotlights. Then you have one that has the switch to ground and one they are telling you to put to the headlights power right?

EDIT: After reading your post again it appears you connect one pin to ground and the switched wire to the headlights power?

Last edited by mr white; 06-10-2013 at 02:20 AM.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:21 AM

I don't have computer access right now unfortunately. I'm on my iPhone but yes one wire to the positive on the battery with a fuse, one to the lights, one to the switch but there is a really long red wire that Is just hanging from the switch inside my car.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:27 AM
CF Veteran

I don't have computer access right now unfortunately. I'm on my iPhone but yes one wire to the positive on the battery with a fuse, one to the lights, one to the switch but there is a really long red wire that Is just hanging from the switch inside my car.
If they told you to connect that wire to the headlights power, then connect it to a battery power source.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:32 AM

Year: 1998

hook it to the red wire on the cig lighter or power socket assumeing they work now, disconnect the neg battery terminal so you dont blow a fuse if you accedently ground it out
Old 06-10-2013, 02:35 AM

Old 06-10-2013, 02:41 AM
CF Veteran

I'm confused as to why you aren't just following the instructions, however, it is easier to just hook the red wire from the switch to a power source, cig lighter, direct to battery, the 12v constant power cig lighter plug.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:49 AM

I'm confused as to why you aren't just following the instructions, however, it is easier to just hook the red wire from the switch to a power source, cig lighter, direct to battery, the 12v constant power cig lighter plug.
I think I will connect the red wire to the battery, just put it right on the positive along with the wire with the fuse connected to it?
Old 06-10-2013, 03:53 AM

Year: 1998

thats quite a hassle running it all the way back to the battery why wouldnt you just do as suggested by myself or others

go to auto zone and explain to them you want to tap into an exsisting wire they can show you the connectors to use i think there called scotchlocks

Last edited by kennzz05; 06-10-2013 at 03:56 AM.

Quick Reply: Can't figure out why my auxiliary lights wont work! Help!!