Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can a XJ be modified to install coil springs-rear?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2020, 09:49 PM

Received 206 Likes on 134 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Can a XJ be modified to install coil springs-rear?

Okay, I know the answer is yes to the thread title question. I have seen XJ's with coil springs that replace the leaf springs but what I am asking.... is adding coil springs to the rear of a XJ to assist regular leaf springs a good idea?

I have a 99 XJ 4WD, A4 with the 231 transfer case and 3.55 front and rear with the posi-trac in the rear. The leaf springs are flat, maybe even past the flat level to the negative a tad. I have read everything I could find on replacement springs and before buying I hesitate as there is always
a review that says within a year the new springs will be as flat as the old springs. I have thought about having them re-arched but there is not much information out about that and longevity. I am not interested in adding a leaf, because I don't think that will work long term. I don't mind a lift up to 2", but not really looking for one....

All I am wanting is to restore my XJ to stock height or plus 1 inch with a spring that won't squat when pulling a light trailer (Z-turn mower, etc)

I found a article on a Yota forum in my search and there was a reference to a guy who was building perches for coil springs to ride along with the leaf springs sharing the load. Is it advisable to do this on a XJ?

Looking forward to others insights and experiences with this idea!
Old 09-27-2020, 11:53 PM
awg
CF Veteran

Received 618 Likes on 525 Posts
Year: 96

I think it would be much easier and cheaper to just replace your springs with "originals" from a Sport, (and some other models) which are 1" higher than stock

If you already have them you could go to a 2" lift...they should not sag as quick as that

you could also make a "bastard" pack by inserting an additional leaf from an OEM spring pack, adds about 1" lift
Old 09-28-2020, 05:12 AM
CF Veteran

Received 349 Likes on 238 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0l

Probably not. They make helper springs for what you want. I'd replace the worn stock springs with new ones, maybe one slightly uprated and call it a day. No need to reinvent the wheel.

Last edited by Veeb0rg; 09-28-2020 at 05:15 AM.
Old 09-28-2020, 05:15 AM
CF Veteran

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Year: 96 & 88 4 dr Cherokees

Be much easier & cheaper to just put some good rear leaf springs on it.......
Old 09-28-2020, 06:49 AM

So far, spring replacement is the favorite. What brands/sources of springs do you trust or have experience with?

The springs with the review stating that they went flat after a year were Crown springs, btw.

Again, I am not opposed to spring replacement. I have already been spraying a penetrate on the nuts and bolts in preperation.

I just want to do this once, and not have to revisit it again in the near future!
Old 09-28-2020, 08:21 AM
CF Veteran

Received 298 Likes on 253 Posts
Year: '96
Model: Cherokee

I installed these Crown springs on 9/17. They initially gave 2" of lift and have only settled 1/2". But I guess experiences can vary.
Amazon Amazon
Old 09-30-2020, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by EZEARL
I installed these Crown springs on 9/17. They initially gave 2" of lift and have only settled 1/2". But I guess experiences can vary.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009X1YAZS...iglink20919-20
Those are the springs I was looking at. Since I needed new shocks on the back end, I ordered the Monroe spring over shocks
Amazon Amazon

They came in late this afternoon. I was able to get one on before the mosquitos decided to go active. I will get the other one on tomorrow. I measured before and after on the side I installed it......before my measurement was 16 inches from center of hub to fender.......after it was 18 inches. I am hoping they can help out the springs. I towed a Z-turn mower about 130 miles RT last weekend and with the trailer just tongue heavy enough to keep from it from swaying the Jeep squatted pretty good. Thank goodness for no rust, the bolts on the passenger shock came out easily! The leaf spring replacements are still in play, I am on a medical weight restriction for neck surgery and didn't want to push it with leaf springs yet! Those rascals are known for frustrations!
Old 09-30-2020, 10:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 296 Likes on 251 Posts
Year: 89
Engine: Peddles

Go to the junk yard pick put a grand cherokee with 3.55 buy axles keep front for a spare.
remove axles taking pictures of all mounts also taking measurements.
order 2"x.25 tube bought 8ft.
1.5"x.25 bought 8ft.
4 7/8 heims and bugs.
4 1.25" heims
Realize your tube order has you fabbing much longer arms. Scrap measurements from grand cherokee

Truss rear axle
Set lower links about centerline of axle tube uppers 8" above loweres double triangulation

Set frame side so links are horizontal not over 6deg angle.

Run 12" coil over into the cab. End up with adjustable height.

Or order crown hd leafs run them till settle if they do then bolt zero rate adaleafs in to compensate for sag.
Old 10-01-2020, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by EvanM
Go to the junk yard pick put a grand cherokee with 3.55 buy axles keep front for a spare.
remove axles taking pictures of all mounts also taking measurements.
order 2"x.25 tube bought 8ft.
1.5"x.25 bought 8ft.
4 7/8 heims and bugs.
4 1.25" heims
Realize your tube order has you fabbing much longer arms. Scrap measurements from grand cherokee

Truss rear axle
Set lower links about centerline of axle tube uppers 8" above loweres double triangulation

Set frame side so links are horizontal not over 6deg angle.

Run 12" coil over into the cab. End up with adjustable height.

Or order crown hd leafs run them till settle if they do then bolt zero rate adaleafs in to compensate for sag.

Ahhh Evan, No!
Old 10-01-2020, 12:44 PM
CF Veteran

What why not.
could run poly bushings on axle side to save money put towards a esab 215
Old 10-01-2020, 12:54 PM

What why not.
could run poly bushings on axle side to save money put towards a esab 215
In short it would require more then I am willing to give at this time in both work and time.

All I wanted was stock height, the biggest tire I will run will probably be 235-75-15's which it has on it now.

So, I went with the 2 prong approach. Shocks and springs. Got the second shock on today, and got a total of 2.5 inches of lift 18.75 from center wheel to fender out of them. About what I expect out of a new set of springs.

Can a XJ be modified to install coil springs-rear?-ncajscd.jpg

So once I get cleared by my Doc (end of October) I will probably put in a set of Crown HD springs. With these shocks, they should have less sag over time. Mission accomplished!

I don't need long arms and a week of fabrication to get to where I wanted to be. Thanks for trying to assist, though! I will post a picture when I get a chance also.

Last edited by Sig220; 10-01-2020 at 09:49 PM. Reason: add pic
Old 10-02-2020, 12:13 AM
CF Veteran

I was half joking.

Im not understanding what you said you got 2" of lift from.

These are the zero rate adaleafs I mentioned before

https://www.offroaddesign.com/catalo...ate+add+a+leaf

youl have to drill sorings to run this center pin and i think drill spring perch hole in the axle to 5/8" i drilled my leaf pack and spring pad not go hard and opens up options to stuff like this
Old 10-02-2020, 09:37 AM

I was half joking.

Im not understanding what you said you got 2" of lift from.

These are the zero rate adaleafs I mentioned before

https://www.offroaddesign.com/catalo...ate+add+a+leaf

youl have to drill sorings to run this center pin and i think drill spring perch hole in the axle to 5/8" i drilled my leaf pack and spring pad not go hard and opens up options to stuff like this

I thought you might be joking, that is why I gave you the "Ahhh Evan, No!" line.

I don't like add a leaf, to me its like a bandaid...temporary....helps but doesn't address the problem which is tired leaf springs. I would rather replace the whole package. Anyway, I got the lift from the Monroe spring over shocks, they will settle some as well. Hopefully, when I can get the springs replaced, those 2 components can together keep the sag to a minimum for a good bit of time. I measured the height this morning after making a 140 mile trip yesterday. I am sitting at 18 inches, so they settled 3/4 of a inch. That measurement is from the center of the hub to the fender. So next is to order the Crown "HD" spring packs. I am prepping the bolts by giving them a bath in PB blaster once each week. Plays hell on the driveway, but that will wash out!
Old 10-02-2020, 11:36 AM
CF Veteran

Received 249 Likes on 199 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

Originally Posted by EZEARL
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009X1YAZS...iglink20919-20
Those are almost the same Crown ones I put on mine about a year and a half ago... No complaints here... And I'd say they gave about the same amount of lift as yours once settled. Didn't see from the pic...but I picked up the 755lb HD Crown ones..
They do the trick for not that much cash... get new bushings...dont reuse the old ones.
Old 10-02-2020, 11:43 AM
CF Veteran

Received 249 Likes on 199 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

Originally Posted by Sig220
In short it would require more then I am willing to give at this time in both work and time.

All I wanted was stock height, the biggest tire I will run will probably be 235-75-15's which it has on it now.

So, I went with the 2 prong approach. Shocks and springs. Got the second shock on today, and got a total of 2.5 inches of lift 18.75 from center wheel to fender out of them. About what I expect out of a new set of springs.

So once I get cleared by my Doc (end of October) I will probably put in a set of Crown HD springs. With these shocks, they should have less sag over time. Mission accomplished!

I don't need long arms and a week of fabrication to get to where I wanted to be. Thanks for trying to assist, though! I will post a picture when I get a chance also.
^^ I hear that... I only went with a mild lift on mine... didn't want to chase down that parts hole of needing to change everything to accommodate a bigger lift... just a mild 2" for me...did go with longer stronger shocks though. let's me have plenty of fun on the trails I go on with her. I don't need to be crawling to have a good day in the dirt

Quick Reply: Can a XJ be modified to install coil springs-rear?