Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CAD mod issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 12:00 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default CAD mod issues

So I've done the CAD mod on my 90 Cherokee...its worked flawlessly for the past 3 years of wheeling. Sunday I hit an embankment climbing out of a wash and had to use the loud pedal to "bump" my front end up...apparently I bumped it a little too hard.

I wheeled the rest of the day unknowing that my front diff wasn't getting power.

It was only when I was climbing a relatively simple hill that someone at the top noticed my driveshaft was spinning but my front tires weren't pulling. I should of taken the hint when my locked rear end started coming around on me.

Everyone ssid it was broken spider gears...I checked...no carnage or schrapnal. My spiders are pitted in a few spots but nothing really serious.

I pulled the vacuum disconnect housing with the fork...and there lay my c clip...and the coupler was over to the right instead of coupling the 2 shafts...

Anyone who has done this mod on thier CAD ever had the c clip come out? I've heard people put a small hose clamp in there...does that work better? Other than putting in a 1 piece axle shaft...anyone know how to totally prevent this sort of thing from happening again?
Old 08-28-2013, 01:53 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Pull the two axle shafts out, and the axle shaft seal(cause you will need to replace it with the one piece axle seal design). Then get a non-disconnect passenger side axle at junk yard, or wherever, and the new axle seal, and install. Or just get a entire Dana 30 non-disconnect front axle assembly(1996-1999 are best), with the same gear ratio as your current Dana 30 disconnect(CAD) front axle. Might be cheaper to do the latter, and then maby sell your current axle to recoup cost of new axle. Axle, axle, axle...