Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bump stops question

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 10:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default bump stops question

Do I need to extend the bump stops if I only have a four and ahalf inch lift and where can I buy new ones my rear ones like fell off from just bein old
Old 03-18-2011, 10:22 AM

Year: 87
Engine: 4.0

depends on shocks and tires im on 4.5 with 33/12.50's with no stops but i rub at full flex and im cut. the rear cant see y you just cant get longer bolts and something to space the factory with just my 2 cents
Old 03-18-2011, 10:43 AM

Ok well I guess I should be fine with stock stuff im running 31 10.5 so I shouldn't scrape
Old 03-18-2011, 10:49 AM
BSS

i hate to hijack your thread but do you know if ill need to extend my bumpstops im running 3 inch lift and 31x11.5 tires with cut fenders
Old 03-18-2011, 10:50 AM
Honorary Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 upgraded

easiest way to find out is flex it out and see if you scrub. I recommend bump stops to keep your springs from inverting. as soon as you negative arch your springs you start decreasing the life drastically
Old 03-18-2011, 10:57 AM

Where do you get after market bump stopsthis is my first off road vehiclle I've done so I need to some real good info on how either to diself it or buy them aftermarket and what is a good length I heard you want down travell more than your up travel
Old 03-18-2011, 11:20 AM

Year: 87

heres one just did a quick search
http://www.quadratec.com/products/52422_01.htm
Old 03-18-2011, 11:23 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999

search daystar products
Old 03-18-2011, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by bassackwards
heres one just did a quick search
http://www.quadratec.com/products/52422_01.htm
Thanks man that helps alot.if I get those I can just put like spacers to make them longer if I need to
Old 03-18-2011, 01:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 98jeepster
Do I need to extend the bump stops if I only have a four and ahalf inch lift and where can I buy new ones my rear ones like fell off from just bein old

This is my set up, I'm at 4.5" with 32's with stock flares. I use an extended progressive poly bump in the rear and made these mounts to catch the axle before the spring inverts and the tire contacts the fender. The distance is misleading b/c "progressive" part allows the bump to compress a good bit before stopping travel.

Here is a picture of my extended progressive bump BEFORE I welded those kicks onto the u-bolt plate. There is over 4" between the axle and bump and my tire has already contacted the flare.

Your question has me wondering though. A lot of people ask this question but don't really have a clue why they need the bumps and how much their lift height has anything to do with rubbing. Are you wondering if you'll need them on the road? Are you trying to stuff a large tire? Are you reluctant to go up in tire size b/c you're concerned of rubbing? Are you trying to get the most flex without rubbing? Honestly I don't see why people cut fenders under 33".

Here is a picture of my 32 with the spring literately removed, and aside from some rubbing on the bumper caps (which is now cut back), the tire fits inside a standard fender opening. Don't forget that the tire tilting, due to the opposite side drooping, takes up more space so that gap above the tire isn't there when I really flex.

What size tire are you trying to fit?

Last edited by s14unimog; 03-18-2011 at 01:36 PM.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by s14unimog

This is my set up, I'm at 4.5" with 32's with stock flares. I use an extended progressive poly bump in the rear and made these mounts to catch the axle before the spring inverts and the tire contacts the fender. The distance is misleading b/c "progressive" part allows the bump to compress a good bit before stopping travel.

Here is a picture of my extended progressive bump BEFORE I welded those kicks onto the u-bolt plate. There is over 4" between the axle and bump and my tire has already contacted the flare.

Your question has me wondering though. A lot of people ask this question but don't really have a clue why they need the bumps and how much their lift height has anything to do with rubbing. Are you wondering if you'll need them on the road? Are you trying to stuff a large tire? Are you reluctant to go up in tire size b/c you're concerned of rubbing? Are you trying to get the most flex without rubbing? Honestly I don't see why people cut fenders under 33".

Here is a picture of my 32 with the spring literately removed, and aside from some rubbing on the bumper caps (which is now cut back), the tire fits inside a standard fender opening. Don't forget that the tire tilting, due to the opposite side drooping, takes up more space so that gap above the tire isn't there when I really flex.

What size tire are you trying to fit?
32 maybe 33 I was asking because I was told you can mess up if you flex too much so pretty much I'm doing it for a safety precaution
Old 03-18-2011, 07:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993

I always jack my rigs to flex them and then measure for bump stop, brake line, and shock length as soon as I get my rig lifted and the tires on. Not doing this cost me a lot of money when I ripped some tires up and broke a shock, something I couldn't afford at the time.