Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bump steer... I know it's beaten to death but HELP!

Old 12-11-2011, 07:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I-6 4.0 L
Default Bump steer... I know it's beaten to death but HELP!

Of the ten or so "bump steer" threads that came up when I searched, there were none with my situation. Well I guess it was my situation but not my set-up.

Running a 2" Rubicon Express BB (pucks up front and AAL in the back) along with a Trac Bar Drop Bracket. The day after installing the lift, got the steering aligned (steering wheel was turned 1/4 of the way to the right so it was vertical) and the shop said the TOE was WAY off. Once aligned, the wheel is still off a little to the right. Other people I've talked to said once lifted, there's no way to get it back straight other than pulling it off of the steering shaft and re-centering the wheel itself. But anyway, I got some bump steer going on after the Trac Bar drop and an alignment. I heard a new steering stabilizer will help correct the problem.

I have no issue driving with bump steer, as long as I'm not damaging anything else with the steering.

Anything I can do to correct the problem?
Old 12-11-2011, 08:08 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2 v8

Personally I have a feeling it's got to do with the trackbar drop, at 2" you should be fine without one (I am and I know I've got the same spacers you do), iirc bump steer is usually caused by the trackbar and draglink not being at parallel and the same length...im thinking it's possible the drop "over corrected"....
Old 12-11-2011, 08:13 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by storm101
Personally I have a feeling it's got to do with the trackbar drop, at 2" you should be fine without one (I am and I know I've got the same spacers you do), iirc bump steer is usually caused by the trackbar and draglink not being at parallel and the same length...im thinking it's possible the drop "over corrected"....
So if that is the case, (no offense) want to get more opinions before I go do anything, would I need another alignment? Don't want to drop another $70.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 HO I6

I would take the drop bracket off. You doNT need it at 2". So long as you leave your steering linkage alone you shouldn't need another alignment. I'm at 4.5", and got an adjustable track bar but I'm still running the stock bracket. Also, you can straighten your steering wheel using the adjuster sleeve on your drag link. Its up by the Pitman arm. This will not affect alignment either. Good luck!
Old 12-11-2011, 08:50 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by gpXJ
I would take the drop bracket off. You doNT need it at 2". So long as you leave your steering linkage alone you shouldn't need another alignment. I'm at 4.5", and got an adjustable track bar but I'm still running the stock bracket. Also, you can straighten your steering wheel using the adjuster sleeve on your drag link. Its up by the Pitman arm. This will not affect alignment either. Good luck!
Okay, will take a look today and see what happens. And the sleeve, is the draglink(?) in the picture?

And Grand Praire, I got a cousin who lives there. Works with the political campaign company called "Grass Roots."
Old 12-11-2011, 09:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 HO I6

Yes sir. You take those two nuts loose, and have someone watch the wheel while you turn it, until it gets straight. Probably take a few time of adjusting it, driving it, then readjusting it.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:12 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2 v8

Yes sir. You take those two nuts loose, and have someone watch the wheel while you turn it, until it gets straight. Probably take a few time of adjusting it, driving it, then readjusting it.
X2
Old 12-11-2011, 09:21 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

As stated, a drop bracket is not needed for your small lift. That's the root of your problem.

Also...
Do a search on DIY Alignment. There's no reason to pay for an alignment when you can get stellar results by simply using a tape measure.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000
Engine: 4.0

and just to be clear, you want to turn the sleeve, not the drag link to straighten your steering wheel.