Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bump Steer 96 XJ

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0l
Default Bump Steer 96 XJ

OK might wanna use the rest room now before continuing the read haha..... Anyway I have a 96 xj with 3.5" rubicon express lift and 2" budget boost pucks and drop shackle so 5-5.5" of lift in total. currie one ton steering. I am having bump steer after removing a band aside dana low pinion (OE axle was bent) and putting in a fully built high pinion Dana 30 and a fully Adjustable short arm kit. I then took for it in for an alignment today. I have measured and checked my track bar and drag link they are almost Identical in length and angle no different then the previous two axle set ups. The caster is the only numbers that were bad. before alignment the caster was +8.65* after they charged me up the wazu to fix it the caster came back in at around +6.91*. However the bump steer remains. Is the camber causing any bump steer? The camber is only -.56* both sides and I dont believe thats significant enough to cause bump steer but I could be wrong at this point. Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
Old 01-16-2018, 08:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 277 Likes on 243 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Pictures of your front end mite help us see what's going on .
Old 01-18-2018, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0l

[QUOTE=tech;3456131]Pictures of your front end mite help us see what's going on .[/QUOTE

Well after further investigation either I set the axle center of by .5" and the alignment shop never verified that it was centered which they told me they did BTW. or they messed with every thing and didn't verify axle center afterward. But after moving the axle back to center and the majority of bump steer problem is gone. I believe now that the 22yr old steering gear is my weakest link.