Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake & Exhaust Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Brake & Exhaust Upgrades

Hi All,

My first post! Regarding my new...

Well, new to me anyway. 2000 w/ about 96k, V6, stock as far as I know.

The brakes have got a bit of a flutter, though not bad at all, and there's quite a bit of rust on the muffler and catalytic converter (I think that's what I was looking at). One spot on the muffler by the exit to the tailpipe that's sure to be a hole relatively soon.

I'm certain you can tell already that I know next to nothing about cars. Not nothing, but almost nothing, and I'd like to use my Jeep as a bit of a learning tool.

So, if I'm going to need new brakes and exhaust stuff, I figure I may as well upgrade if it makes sense. Any suggestions? And preferably items I could conceivably install myself. Also, recommendations for plain old, non-fancy replacements would be appreciated if you think that's all that's necessary.

This will be a DD, almost entirely on-road vehicle. May see a grassy field from time to time.

Thanks!
okayplayer8
Old 02-19-2011, 08:16 PM

Year: 1991 XJ SPORT 2 DR.
Engine: 4.0 600 HP

being a 2000 i think you already have the bigger booster but i dont see alot of jeepers do much with the breaks, i have seen put rear disk setups on but thats a bit of work for the benefit. I would turn the rotors and get some upgraded pads. as for the exhaust get a high flow cat and muffler.
have fun ......
Old 02-22-2011, 02:37 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

My recommendation on exhaust would be a high flow cat and Gibson cat back exhaust.

As far as brakes, there are people who upgrade to WJ brakes/calipers to get a little bigger beefier setup. And I'd just keep the drums in the back.

Not sure if you have abs, but it may not like different brakes.

Or you might look into getting some slotted front rotors for better heat dissipation.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:55 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 L I6

You can switch out the parts from a zj grand cherokee if you want rear disc brakes. Pretty cheap if you just go to a junk yard for the parts and just buy the disks and pads. As far as exhaust... way to many options it just depends on what you want. Best gains would be getting a full exhaust system with new headers... then there is everything in between.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:41 AM
MJ>XJ

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0 I6

Lots of bad information here... first zj rear brakes are not a bolt on swap... its not that easy... second the WJ from brakes are not a direct swap... lots of mods and changing of knuckles and everything must be done... he saidbhe had a V6 not a I6 so obviously he probably doesn't have the skills to do either one of these swaps... that being said...

Grab some drilled and slotted front rotors (eBay only like $50 for both) and some semi metallic pads (autozone $20 or so) and swap them on... rear brakes just make sure there adjusted and properly setup... check pads and make sure they have life... as for exhaust you have two cats on the downpipes coming from the headers so theres not alot out there to replace them since o2 sensors are before the cat and right after... so AFTER the cat run 2.5 in exhaust pipe with your choice of mufflers... if your on a budget Autozone has the glasspacks for only $20 and lots of people love the sound...

Goodluck boss
Old 02-23-2011, 08:34 AM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I did know I have an I6, but it is also true that any kind brake swap is far beyond my current capabilities. Not that I suck with a wrench, I've just never worked on cars.

Any recommendations on brands for rotors and pads? And for that matter, brand XYZ I should maybe avoid? I know there are a million options, just thought I'd ask.

Thanks again!